Mac OS forum

General discussion

iMac vs The PC

by bokkieiom / February 27, 2006 2:39 AM PST

Hello I would like to buy a computer and a laptop I want to know which one will be better Newest PCs or Imanc g5?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iMac vs The PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iMac vs The PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Careful...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2006 2:45 AM PST
In reply to: iMac vs The PC

The G5s are being phased out. You don't want to repeat history here (remember the transition from 68K to PPC?)

Bob

Collapse -
What will you be using the computer for?
by Dan Filice / February 27, 2006 4:32 AM PST

To me, that's an imortant question. If you need to continuously transfer data to/from a PC or be able to log-on to a work-based computer system from home or to have a lot of business applications, then a PC might make sense. If you plan on using you computer for multi-media work, like pictures, music, video editing and DVD creation, then in my opionion, a Mac is the way to go. This is the strong points of a Mac. It comes pre-equipped to do this type of work in a very intuitive fashion. I know the serious PC user would say differently, but for the home user, the PC does not come pre-equipped to do multi-media work in the same way the Mac does. I use both systems, so I only state this from my own experience. Also, several family members have made the transition to a second computer for multi-media work (a Mac), and they can't believe how great the Mac works in this respect. Plus, no viruses and minimal crashes. I've had an iMac for there years and have never had my computer crash. I've had a program freeze, but with the latest OS, only the program freezes, not the computer, and you can easily reboot the individual program. And, from what I've seen, the newer Intel Macs are less expensive than the iMac I bought 3 years ago. Go figure.

Collapse -
Good Info
by taboma / February 27, 2006 1:34 PM PST

Easy, straight-forward info from you. Nice post.

Your quote: ?I've had an iMac for three years and have never had my computer crash. I've had a program freeze, but with the latest OS, only the program freezes, not the computer, and you can easily reboot the individual program.?
Same with me also. Right On!!

So what is your next step? The new Mac dual Intel?

Collapse -
Our college bound kid.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2006 10:52 PM PST
In reply to: Good Info

Is now leaning towards a PC Laptop and a mac mini desktop when and if the intel version arrives. He's been talking with friends and found that games that he likes do not run on any mac yet.

This all may change if XP boot issues are fixed by fall or if Vista boots.

Bob

Collapse -
One part of the solution was announced today
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 28, 2006 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: Our college bound kid.

Solo and Duo Core Intel processors in the Mac Mini

P

Collapse -
Which we may just do shortly. I went to apple.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2006 4:53 AM PST

But could not get to the store link. Must be busy.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob, my Mac mini 2-cents
by Dan Filice / February 28, 2006 6:28 AM PST

I use a Mac mini at work. Regardless of the processor, here is my 2-cents of my mini, which might affect how you consider your purchase. After having used a Mac mini at work for months now, I love it, primarily because of it's size, but the Mac mini did not come with any speakers (it has a pin-hole for a speaker), so you need to add external speakers just so you can hear anything; the Mac mini only comes with one Firewire and two USB ports vs. several each on my iMac; the Mac mini does not come with a monitor vs built-in on iMac; the Mac mini's size is great and the processing speed is fine. Of course, the price of the mini is really great, so that offsets some of the drawbacks, but after you end up equipping the mini with all of the external stuff, including additional ports, the prices gets very close to an iMac.

Collapse -
I thought I saw 4 usb ports on the new mini.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2006 6:34 AM PST

The firewire is easy to fix with a hub, we have speakers and a shiny new 19" LCD. We're pretty adept at accessories so it doesn't bother me that speakers are not included.

As to the iMac, it's not a contender for our needs.

Bob

Collapse -
New Mac Mini
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 28, 2006 8:44 AM PST

Yes, 4 USB 2.0 ports, 1 Firewire 400, Audio in/out and 10/100/1000 Ethernet.
Not a device to be sneezed at and a very competitive price.

The store was closed for a while, it's back now, but it may well be busy too.

P

Collapse -
New Mac Mini
by taboma / March 3, 2006 2:25 PM PST
In reply to: New Mac Mini

Bob and Peter, One of my coworkers just ordered the new Macmini Dual-Core Intel version earlier today (Friday, 3/3/06.) Cost $699. My co
worker has everything else that he would need to plug and play at his home-base.
Pretty impressive little ******, this Macmini that we all use professionally at work (Not the dual-core new version.)
The new dual-core Intel is 4X faster than what I use at work. Impressive!

There are a number of hardware add-ons to this as well.
Want to take it somewhere? There is a carry-all called the Lunch Box.
There is a site called 123macmini.com
Available with Dashboard widgets on the Mac site. Pretty cool site devoted exclusively to the Macmini. Check it out.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Better power for less dosh.
by bokkieiom / March 26, 2006 11:04 PM PST

Isn't the Intel Chip faster than the G5. The Intel Macs are lower in price.

Collapse -
True
by bokkieiom / March 26, 2006 11:03 PM PST
In reply to: Our college bound kid.

Yeah true, it's something to do that around 90 percent of computer users use windows or Linux. And the 10 percent use Mac. Game writers will write games for the PC side. As for Mac's propriry system. Damn!

I heard PC hackers are trying to run Widows on A mac!
That'll be ace!

Collapse -
Could you explain please
by saywhatnow / March 27, 2006 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: True

What is "As for Mac's propriry system."

I used to run Widows in my car, but that was back in the day. Widows are really a lot of fun, especially the young ones.
Must admit though, I have never tried a Widow on a Mac(intosh) but a blanket works just as well

P

Collapse -
Compassion for Widows
by davideo / March 31, 2006 12:50 AM PST

Thanks. I needed a good laugh!

Collapse -
My next move...
by Dan Filice / February 28, 2006 1:30 AM PST
In reply to: Good Info

Taboma,

I will do what I've done through my last two computers: Continue using what I have until the external perphials evolve to where they don't work with my computer; continue using what I have until there is software that I "absolutely need"' but it will only work on the latest computer; continue using what I have until I need to do work that isn't possible on my current computer. The last choice here was the biggest reason for my purchase of my iMac three years ago, and this came after I saw that home video editing became possible. I love to shoot and edit, and my old computer was antiquated. When I bought my iMac, it was like stepping into the space-age, as it allowed me to do everything I could imagine. I still laugh when I think back at my father-in-law (avid PC user) who always complained about how my Mac cost so much more than his PC. At least until he saw that I could shoot DV footage, edit it and burn a DVD within hours. He was so envious that he set out to upgrade his PC to do the same. Well, as with most PCs, he had no video card, no audio card, no Firewire, no DVD burner, no editing software, no DVD software, no music software, etc, etc. By the time he went through 3-months of frustrating trial-and-error upgrades, he was finally able to do what my lowely Mac was able to do. Of course, he didn't want to admit that he spent more on upgrades than my Mac cost, and he still has some compatibility issues with his hardware/software.

Collapse -
More good info?
by taboma / March 2, 2006 1:40 PM PST
In reply to: My next move...

?from you Dan.
Go out and buy your poor father-in-law a new Mac.
He will probably come to your house more often.
Looking for Mac advise or to watch a football game with you?
Both?? :

Collapse -
I'll get the iMac
by bokkieiom / February 28, 2006 11:53 PM PST

Thanks it seems that the mac would be good to have.
I have a Fast PC so I think it is sensible in a way to get both. They both do things differently.
They also look good too.

Collapse -
Someone has been running the OSX on a PC
by taboma / March 28, 2006 11:45 AM PST
In reply to: I'll get the iMac

The guy that did it supplied photos. Not screen shots. Unfortunately I can't give you the link. Somewhere on the Speak Easy forum last week I think

bokkieiom, I have a PC and a Mac. You are right-on!
The Mac Mini costs an average of $699 for the dual core Intel processor for speed. 4X what a regular Mac Mini costs for about $499.

Dual core. More bang for the buck is seems. 40 Gig storage.
Impressive little ****** don't you think? 6"x6" wide by 2" high.
Talk about compact? You could fit 16 of them in a foot print of an average tower.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Wrong news. Here is the correct news and a link to follow.
by taboma / March 28, 2006 12:05 PM PST

Sorry for the wrong info to you all.
Here is the correct info. Hope that you find it interesting.

Benchmarks - XP on a Mac - you may be surprised
Apparently the Macbook running Windows XP is faster than other Core Duo laptops designed only to run Windows XP (Acer, Dell, Gateway, HP, IBM).

http://gearlog.com/blogs/gearlog/archive/2006/03/21/8212.aspx

The one thing it doesn't do as well is Windows Media tests. Not surprising. There are still no video drivers available for Windows on an Intel Mac.

By the way, they point out it's perfectly legal to do this. They own Windows and Apple has stated they are not opposed to booting other operating systems on the Mac.

-Kevin S.
Posted by: machugger (see profile) - 03/23/2006 7:53 PM

Collapse -
Legal?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 28, 2006 8:47 PM PST

"By the way, they point out it's perfectly legal to do this. They own Windows and Apple has stated they are not opposed to booting other operating systems on the Mac."

While Apple has stated that they will not prevent Windows from booting on a Mac, I'm pretty sure the M$ has not agreed to have the Windows code hacked to accomplish it.
I'm pretty sure that the EULA from M$ regarding Windows Software pretty much prohibits the practice.
Owning the software does not give you the right to Reverse Engineer, de-compile or any of the other neat tricks one can do with code.

P

Collapse -
Legal?
by taboma / March 29, 2006 9:50 AM PST
In reply to: Legal?

Peter, I thought that it was illegal to do so also.
I was just passing on the info.
Interesting to read about this stuff.

See them in court with M$ shortly?

-Kevin

Collapse -
That's what I think.
by bokkieiom / March 30, 2006 12:18 AM PST
In reply to: Legal?

I'm surprised it's legal. As Microsoft and Apple love to sue about everything.

That'll be great Style of Mac with the Functionallity of a PC!

Collapse -
PC or iMac Intel
by Bronzit / March 31, 2006 1:20 AM PST

If you want to have fun using a computer, buy an iMac Intel, preferably a 20" w/1 Gb of memory. Do not consider a G5 as this is soon to be out of production. In my long career -I'm now retired- as an I. T. professional, I have always used a Mac @ home, depending on the failures & maintenance of PC's for a living. I bought a Mac in their 'First Hundred Days' of existence & have never regretted it!

No one I have ever encountered who used a Mac for over a month ever went back to a PC for their own use. I hear horror stories constantly from my friends who "followed the crowds" & bought a PC. And if you want to get into the music or graphics use of a computer, iPods and graphics programs work easiest on a Mac. Personally, I use a PowerBook G4 15" with a scanner, iPod 3G 40 Gb, iPod 4 Gb Nano for my wife, encrypted Airport wireless home network (to my printer & older PowerBook that my wife uses), and have a 260 Gb backup Firewire 800/USB external hard drive for back-up. All of this was bought over time.

Networking, configuring, preventing virus and malware invasions, and just having fun are so much easier on Macs that even the non-professional User can do it. Remember, 99.9% of all viruses are NOT written to run on Macs! The only 2 viruses recently seen for Macs were poorly written and just for server-Macs. Think about that. Pretty soon, you will be able to run a Windows-based program on a Mac too, if you must!

This is the best advice I can give someone deciding which computer platform to get. Visit an Apple store to see what all of the excitement is about & you won't be sorry!!

VR,

Ron.

Collapse -
Wow that's Good!
by bokkieiom / March 31, 2006 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: PC or iMac Intel

I visted the Apple Store and it seems that I'm more and more going to buy a Mac. I'm starting to get into Garageband and ipods itunes etc. At first I thought Apple was going to be a failure but now with Vista Delay from Microsoft I belive Mac is the next jump.

I've been using Linux, Windows and Apple which and are very good but have never owned a Mac computer.

I love the style of the Mac and its functionality is becoming more, and more impressive!

Thanks for the info.
Got a good reason to use Mac!

Collapse -
Was a good post!
by taboma / April 1, 2006 11:29 AM PST
In reply to: Wow that's Good!

bokkieiom, When you go tot he Apple Store, it is like going to a candy store. Bring money. You will want everything after interfacing with a demo.

-Kevin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.