Mac OS forum

General discussion

iMac OS X 10.5.2 Leopard Desktop Model A1 Information needed

by nomadd74 / February 18, 2008 8:05 AM PST

Now that I have discovered Mac forums as a new Mac owner I would appreciate any help on these questions:

The first question I was advised that it was not possible by a technician from Mac in Australia. However, Lifehacker gave instructions as detailed below on doing this. I have tried this but cannot get the whole date to appear, and find the dragging / paste part not that clear? Currently I have the day and time, but no date.

Display Day, Date, and Time:

In System Preferences, open International and go to the Formats tab.
Next to Dates, click the Customize button. Arrange your date in the format you want to appear on your menubar. Use the down arrows on each element to choose between formats (January, Jan, 01, 1, etc.) I chose [Oct 29], as shown.
Now, select the entire date format and copy it to your clipboard (Cmd+A, Cmd+C). Hit OK.
Hit the Customize button next to Times. Choose the "Medium" format.
Paste the date format on your clipboard next to the time format, and hit OK. You're done!

Note that the day of the week (like "Mon") will appear next to your date and time by default. To turn that off, in System Preferences, go to Date and Time, and uncheck "Show the day of the week." Thanks, Snowmoon!
Easily add the date to the menubar [

2nd question. I propose to purchase a BELKIN USB instrument that with one flick can shift between Apple and Windows, it's operated with one monitor and keyboard, and no drivers are required. My reason for this is because I have two separate hard drives on my XP windows - not partition. My plan is to use the smaller hard drive to back up, and the larger hard drive in unison with Time Machine for every day " Complete Backup ." - Would this work?

3rd Question. With Time Machine is there any way I can create System Restore like Windows XP? On XP Windows I used a lot and found it very quick to rectify any blunders on my part. I understand that I have Mac Recovery Discs, just like most new PC's, but from my preliminary reading, and limited knowledge they will not carry out a quick System Restore to say, the day before.

Any information on this would be appreciated?

4th Question. On the Leopard Mac is the DVD Player HD or Blu-Ray? I don't know much about either.

I am a great one for house-keeping, and on XP Windows carried out Defrag with Diskeeper Lite, deleted Cookies, Temporary Folders and History every month, and performed a complete ReFormat every six months. I presume Caches is like Temp. Files.

Thanking all who can contribute with answers.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iMac OS X 10.5.2 Leopard Desktop Model A1 Information needed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iMac OS X 10.5.2 Leopard Desktop Model A1 Information needed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your iMac
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 18, 2008 9:27 AM PST

is not a Leopard Mac. Leopard is the Operating System that runs on your Intel iMac.

I don't see the Day, Date and Time as being a question, so moving right along to Question 2.

Are you saying that you are running windows XP on your Mac? To do what you are suggesting would require two separate computers, one monitor and one keyboard. THe Belkin USB device is probably a KVM switch that would route the output from either of the computers to the monitor. Note, not both at once.
If you are running Boot Camp then Time Machine will not work when you are in Windows. If you are running Parallels or VM Fusion to run Windows at the same time as you are running OS X, then you do not need the switch.
Maybe I have not understood the question.

#3. No, Time machine is not used quite like that. Using time machine you can go back and recover a deleted file, or files, but it is not a System Restore program.
Time Machine cannot be used for a complete system restore.

#4 The DVD on the iMac, Leopard or not, is neither HD or Blu-Ray. It is usually just a regular, Dual Layer DVD\CD reader & writer. A SuperDrive.
Of course, that depends on which iMac you purchased. The bottom end machine does not come with a DVD burner.

#5 Don't worry too much about de-fragging your drive. This is taken care of by the system. Remember that UNIX uses a completely different file system than Windows.

Enjoy your new machine

If you have any further questions, feel free to post them here

Collapse -
Mac OS X 10.5.2 Mod: A1224
by nomadd74 / February 18, 2008 10:32 AM PST
In reply to: Your iMac

Sorry for the misleading heading - I didn't know Leopard was the operating system. My computer was launched in November 2007.
In regard to the Day, Date and Time, this sits in the Menu Bar. I gather most Macs just have the time, but I have become used to Windows superior Day, Date, and Time, thus not needing to use Calendar all the time!
My earlier introduction was the actual reading from newsletter " Lifehacker" which details how to carry this out, which was why I listed same for anyone to access from the URL and check out. The last part of the answer I could not follow - transferring the date part, as mentioned in my previous email I now have the Day and Time sitting in my Menu Bar, but not the Date. I would be obliged if you could access Lifehacker and see what the reason is why I cannot get the Date?

No, I am not running Windows on my Mac. The KVM switch states on the package that it can flip instantly from a Mac to another Windows Pc sitting on a table, making use of the folders and so forth, separately, of course. You have answered me about Time Machine. However, I do not understand what running Parallels of VM Fusion to run Windows means? The KVM switch states on the package that it will carry out transfers from Mac to Windows, and vice versa - nothing else needed!
Checking out this Device I was thinking I could make use of my hard drives in Windows XP, otherwise I will not now use same.

I presume you are saying that I cannot create a 24 hour System Restore, but would need to use the Restore Disc for a complete restore, in which case I would never use unless a disaster happened.

My computer can burn and play DVD'S. I asked about the type of DVD because this is my first one, and this week I noticed in the press, that HD will cease operation shortly, and that 70% of Australians are using Blu-Ray. I was concerned that I would be unable to use the DVD with no further production of HD movies.

Thanks for all your advice. This Mac is a new learning curve for me, mainly about using same

Collapse -
That Belkin device
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 18, 2008 9:03 PM PST

I would be glad to take a look at it for you, where did you see it? Do you have a model and website address for it?

A KVM switch does not join a Mac to a PC (or even two PC's) together. It is purely a device that enables the sharing of the Keyboard, Video and Mouse.
When switched in one direction, you use those three for computer A and, in the other direction, computer B. No sharing or even connection exists between the two.
Maybe this is NOT a KVM switch after all. More details please.

VMFusion and Parallels are both pieces of software that allow you to create a virtual machine on your Mac. Using either of the two will all you to install Windows(basically every version is usable) on your Mac. OS X and WIndows will then run at the same time.
BootCamp, on the other hand, allows you to partition the Mac HD and install Windows XP or Vista. You then boot directly into Windows and the Mac OS does not run at the same time.

I had to smile at your "become used to Windows superior Day, Date and Time" statement. Last time I played with XP, yesterday, I had to hover the mouse over the end of the task bar and wait until the date showed up.
The Mac OS, and this goes back to early days, has always shown the day and time in the top RH corner of the screen. Clicking it shows the "Long Date", Tuesday, February 19th, 2008.
What part of superior did I not understand?

Time Machine will keep the hourly backups for 24 hours, Daily backups for a month and weekly backups until it runs out of space. You can go back and find any file that was on your Mac and restore it back to its original location.
It would not be unusual for you to need the Restore Disk at some point in the future. OS's can become corrupt over time, OS X is less prone to this, but you can Restore the OS, by using the Archive and Install feature of the Installer to only Replace the System and NOT destroy your data.

Collapse -
Mac OS X 10.5.2 7.1 Model A1224 Desktop
by nomadd74 / February 19, 2008 7:51 AM PST
In reply to: That Belkin device

Hi! I have noted your remark about date. I have clicked like you suggested and the full date shows beneath, but is" greyed" out. Nobody has ever mentioned this to me, and always suggested that I go into Date and Time window.

In my first email I mentioned URL details of inserting Day, Date and Time into the menu bar. I also copied and pasted the explanation details for carrying out this function.
Nevertheless, here is the site once again. Kindly check same out for me. ( In reading the various comments are interesting.)

Thanks for all that information on Time Machine, as I have only briefly scanned at this stage.
Is there any way that I can manually create backups with Time Machine and only backup what I want. If a disaster strikes I can use the Restore Disk?

In my ten years of computing I have never lost a file, nor ever needed my backups. I believe this is due to my using System Restore instantly, and also Reformatting every six months, although not certain. My main reason for backups was the fear of a hard drive failing. Again I think my strict maintenance policy helped, since my hard drive is always kept at a maximum of 25% used and 75% free. On my XP I constantly burned disks with all my required information wanted. Why leave it on the computer? Thus, in this way I only have the system and software on the computer. I am not a person to endlessly download software unless I have a use for same.
I don't know about Apple, but with Microsoft I only downloaded about 30% of their suggested downloads, because I had no use for the items mentioned, and they didn't effect me or my PC.

Herewith the Belkin details:
Hi Vernon,
In relation to your enquiry --

The Flip Switch supports Windows

Collapse -
KVM Switch
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 19, 2008 9:23 AM PST

I cannot find that model XHO436 at the Belkin site but note that the Belkin email did NOT say that the model you were referring to would work with a Mac.
He gave you a different model number, F1DG102U, which is USB only and does support OS X and WIndows machines.
Go back to the Mall and see if the one you refer to has P/S2 ports on it. If it does, it's a non-runner.

Date and Time: I will take a look at the instructions at a later time. The reason for the Day, Date and TIme being "grayed out" is because there really isn't anything that you need to do with it. It shows what it shows. Going into the Date and Time window is one of those "superior" windows functions. Happy

Software Updates: Download ALL the software updates that Apple recommends. They are tailored to your machine, not just your version of the OS, and if it suggests that you download them, you can be assured that you have that particular piece of software. Remember that, unlike MS, Apple produce almost ALL the software that was on your machine when it came out of the box. They update it regularly.

Yes, you can select what you want to backup, or not, with Time Machine

One last thing. Take a look at the Apple Menu, About this Mac, More Info, Hardware and give me the First Four lines of the hardware overview in the right hand pane.

Then, go to the Australian Apple Store, pick the machine that looks like yours and tell me what Apple calls it.

I think you have an iMac and have no idea what a Model A1224 Desktop is.

Check that KVM and let us know

Good Luck

Collapse -
iMac iMac 7.1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHZ
by nomadd74 / February 19, 2008 1:57 PM PST
In reply to: KVM Switch

The above is what is listed under My Mac. One of the problems here is that there is only one actual Mac store in Australia which is located in Sydney - 1,000 klm from here. They sell over the counter in Sydney and via the internet to other areas and states. Mac make use of other retail stores, such as First Byte, JB - Hi Fi, Myers, **** Smith, Harris Technology, and David Jones. I purchased from the latter as they have a very good Customer Service section. However, in all these stores I could find nobody with any real first hand experience when I wanted information about the Macs handling facilities.

Unknown to me these stores all use their own model numbers for identification purposes - hence the difference with Belkin - one was from **** Smith and the other from Belkin!

I gained the impression that all these stores made good sales of Macs, because very often there were signs." No stock available, more on order. " I think this was because of the Vista problem.

Prior to purchase I was contemplating buying a Dell with Vista, but was put off with the reports of Vista difficulties on this site and numerous others. Consequently, I thought I would have a look at Mac. After buying the Mac five weeks ago I made use of the Mac telephone technical service, but was not that impressed when receiving contradictory answers.

Since contacting you I have gone into the Australian Mac Forum and I am staggered at the complaints about this latest iMac. I suspect from the questions and answers, that the persons are mostly beginners with Mac computers.

This is the real reason that I am using CNET to try and discover information that I require.

Nevertheless, I am pleased with my iMac, but spending too much time on procedural matters. Incidentally, the booklet that came with this iMac calls this computer - Everything Mac, otherwise this booklet explains quite a lot.

I went into **** Smiths today and I checked the Belkin instrument. It's not really called anything except Flip- Switch with USB. Whilst there I checked out another gadget called:
Mobile Data Sync - USB 2.0 M/f by Targus. This claims that all the software is inside the cable and can be used to transfer files from Macs to Windows PC's, or Mac - Mac, and PC - PC. I will try and find out on the internet more about this one.

You have enlightened me about VM Fusion and the way it works. By the way I made use of System Restore long before it was released with XP. I downloaded the gadget and put it on my Windows 98. The best thing I ever did.

Will leave you to some peace now.

Collapse -
Time, Date in Menu Bar on iMac
by nomadd74 / February 20, 2008 2:24 PM PST

I have now succeeded in having my time and date sitting permanently in the Menu Bar on the right-hand side at top. It involved placing the time before the date to have it operate. I had it the other way round.
Very pleased with this. The date is more important to me than the time.

Belkin Australia Technical Section have advised the KVM will not work, so your advise was correct.

Had I not contacted you I would have bought this device and found it useless.

Thank you, much appreciated.

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 20, 2008 8:55 PM PST
Collapse -
Final housekeeping question.
by fbbbb / February 24, 2008 8:22 AM PST

OS X requires if anything more frequent (but more minor) maintenance in comparison to Windows in order to keep the file system working properly. Onyx provides a handy way of automating this process.

And Time Machine is still notably inferior to Vista's backup capability. It's also not capable of a full backup as it misses out some data. It's best to buy Superduper, which is one of the most usable comprehensive backup programs for OS X (such as it is - a poor substitute to what is available on the Windows side).

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?