Mac OS forum

Question

iMac not waking up from sleep mode

by auldscot / October 19, 2011 9:53 PM PDT

I have an iMac with all the bells and whistles running Lion. I currently have a logitech G110 gaming keyboard attached and a generic trackball both of which are corded. I have a tardis usb hub plugged in to the iMac as well as the keyboard and mouse. When ever the computer goes to sleep I have to do a forced boot to wake it up.

Now I've tried disconnecting the USB hub without it making a difference. However when I switched back to the yucky keyboard apple provided it would only occasionally wake up the computer but not consistently.

I'm desparate for suggestions here so any ideas would be welcome.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iMac not waking up from sleep mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iMac not waking up from sleep mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Time to take it in
by Jimmy Greystone / October 19, 2011 11:08 PM PDT

Time to take it in. This is most likely going to be an issue with the logic board, though Logitech is known for putting out some rather craptacular drivers. I wouldn't think a keyboard would do it, but as a test it probably couldn't hurt to remove the Logitech software for a short time to see if that has any effect. If not, then I'd take it in to get it looked at. Odds are the MLB will get replaced.

If you have AppleCare, you can request an on-site repair, where they send someone to you, but if it's just limited warranty you have to take it to either an AASP or Apple Store. Personally I'd go with the AASP. A lot of times they're closer, less crowded (and iMacs can be kind of bulky, so trying to make your way through a crowd of people carrying one is just tempting the fates), and usually AASPs hire techs based more on skill than personality, which isn't true for Apple's stores. As an added bonus, you're helping support a small local business. If they have to replace any parts, your warranty will pick up the tab whether it's an AASP or Apple Store.

Collapse -
Answer
iMac not waking up from sleep mode
by dlgallet / October 21, 2011 2:15 PM PDT

I have a G4 Quicksilver desktop that has never been able to wake up, the easiest work around is to shut off the sleep mode in system preferences. Shut her down when finished.

Collapse -
Answer
imac not waking up
by robert4546 / October 21, 2011 5:55 PM PDT

I have an iMac with Lion installed on it, also use the Apple keyboard and trackpad.
My machine has NOTHING else connected to it and i have been in contact with Apple care
regularly for two months, also the machine has been away to remedy the problem for 10 days
and after all of this time the Apple technicians that have tried to correct the problem have FAILED.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!