Mac Desktops forum

General discussion

iMac G5 iSight won't start HELP!

by tsofa_dotmac / May 16, 2010 6:09 AM PDT

Hi,

I have an iMac G5 iSight. When the power button is pressed there is no sound and a white light flashes, but nothing else happens. I tried the power reset method and replaced the power supply, but the same thing happens. The white light just keeps flashing. Any thoughts on this?

Tsofa

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iMac G5 iSight won't start HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iMac G5 iSight won't start HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Doesn't sound good
by Jimmy Greystone / May 16, 2010 7:08 AM PDT

Doesn't sound good. Those systems are from the bad cap era.

Lay the system on its face, and there will be three captive screws on the bottom. Loosen those, then grab onto the stand and give it a good upward pull. The whole back should pop off.

You then need to inspect all the capacitors for any that may be bulging or leaking, which I suspect you will find. Google bad caps if you need a visual reference.

If you find any bad capacitors, the system is toast. Sorry. There are "repair kits" on ebay for about $20, but unless you know someone who's pretty good with a soldering iron, it doesn't do you a lot of good, and getting this repaired would probably be at least $500. That's about half the cost of a brand new 21.5" iMac with significantly better specs.

Collapse -
Model
by tsofa_dotmac / May 16, 2010 8:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Doesn't sound good

Hi,

Are you sure that the back comes off on this model?

iMac G5 iSight?

Thanks

Collapse -
Yes
by Jimmy Greystone / May 16, 2010 8:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Model

Yes, so long as you fully loosen all three captive screws on the bottom, the back should pop off. Like I said, just grab onto the stand and give it a good upward pull. Don't be afraid to get a little violent if you need to. This is the standard take-apart procedure for all iMac G5 models, so the only way it wouldn't work, is if you gave an incorrect model.

Collapse -
Even with the lcd and front bezel removed
by tsofa_dotmac / May 16, 2010 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes

Hi,

I already have the front removed and the lcd, so the back will still come off? Will try.

Thanks

Collapse -
STOP!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 16, 2010 9:57 PM PDT

The previous instructions regarding the entry method into this model of iMac are not accurate.

The back does NOT come off this model of the iMac.

As you have discovered, it is the front bezel and the lcd that have to be removed before access can be had to the rest of the system.

Now that you have the front off, you have access to the HD and the optical drive.

Be aware that there is a temperature sensor attached to the drive.

P

Collapse -
Looks like I was wrong
by Jimmy Greystone / May 17, 2010 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: STOP!

Looks like I was wrong. I've taken apart the ALS models which came out around the same time, and use the older case, but this one appears to use the case design that was used during the transition to Intel, and is far more similar to modern iMacs.

Well, bad news for both of us, since it's more work for you, because to check the capacitors you're going to have to remove the logic board. It's in "upside down" and all the capacitors face the back of the unit. You should be able to find a take apart guide elsewhere showing what screws to take out, and make note of the 9 cables you have to disconnect and where they go. Just be sure when you remove the motherboard you hold onto the two sort of girder bars that are for the video card. Lift it up a bit so you can get your hand on the right side of the logic board, then lift up and out with one hand on the left girder, and the other on the right top corner area of the logic board. If you do it some other way, you risk compounding your problems by creating stress fractures on either the board or in a solder joint.

iMacs are all fun and games until you have to work on them... Then they quickly turn into a quagmire of frustration. Of course the 2005 Aluminum MacBook Pro is even worse if you want to replace the keyboard. What should me maybe a 10 minute job tops, will quickly turn into around an hour of fun with EMI shielding stickers.

Sorry about the confusion. Normally I'd double check with Apple's service manuals, but they were doing maintenance work on that site over the weekend.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.