Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

IMac G5 at Costco

by danelizer / February 24, 2006 1:34 AM PST

Hey folks,

Just bought a new IMac G5 w/20" screen, 512 RAM, at our local Costco wholesale warehouse for $1479. This is not the most tremendous of prices but it is when you consider the unit also came with a 3 year extended Apple warranty($169 at the Apple Store) in addition to Costco's generous no questions asked return policy of 6 months on computers. This of course is not the new Intel IMac but many comments are in favor of the old PowerPC processor and a thorough test of the two machines against each other at Anandtech shows the Intel is somewhat faster but not all that much. I have always wanted to try a Mac with return priveleges and now am doing it. Costco is a great place to buy computers if you don't mind waiting for the right deal to come around. Comments anyone?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IMac G5 at Costco
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IMac G5 at Costco
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good Deal
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 24, 2006 1:51 AM PST
In reply to: IMac G5 at Costco

I like the 3 year AppleCare thrown in.

Hope you enjoy it and never have to use AppleCare or the Costco Return Policy.

Collapse -
by Dan Filice / February 24, 2006 2:02 AM PST

This G5 is a great computer. If you have any interest in downloading video from a camcorder to try you hand at video editing (an area where the Mac excels!), I suggest immediately upgrading the Ram from 512K to at least 712K or better yet, 1Gig. This will also come in handy if you plan on **** any DVD work, like copying DVDs, etc. The computer will need to load the data from a DVD into ram before making a copy, and 512K of Ram isn't enough. The same goes for video editing, which is a Ram-hog. The extra Ram will also be helpful when running multiple programs. If you have any interest in having a computer that excels in multi-media functions (like music, photos, video, DVD), the Mac will be a thrill to use and you may find that you will want to keep the computer instead of returning it. As far as the Intel-Macs, the standard Power PC processor Mac will be just fine for a few years until all the "essential" software is written specifically for the Intel processors so that it won't work on the older computers, or new hardware technology is used that also only works on Intel. But, but the time this happens, technology will have advanced in computers to where you'll want a new computer anyways.

Collapse -
I wish there was an Edit/Delet button here
by Dan Filice / February 24, 2006 2:07 AM PST

Sorry for the duplicate posting. The website hung up, didn't take the message, then it did. I wish there was a button here that allowed Editing or Deleting of a posted message.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No sooner said than done
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 24, 2006 7:24 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?