Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

imac G3 Power Button

by fulltimesheep / April 9, 2006 8:07 AM PDT

I was wondering if all G3 imacs with a 500 MHZ processor had the power button on the monitor. I know the older ones had the button on the keyboard.

Also, would I need a keyboard with a power button in order to turn on an iMac with no power button?

Thanks a bunch guys, this forum has always come through for me : )

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: imac G3 Power Button
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: imac G3 Power Button
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
iMac G3 Power Button
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 9, 2006 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: imac G3 Power Button

All iMacs before the G4 iMac have a power button on the front.
None of the iMac keyboards had a power switch on the keyboard. This went away when the first iMac was released with a USB keyboard.
What type of iMac are you planning on getting that does not have a power button?
Every Mac ever made has a power button.

P

Collapse -
Here's the keyboard I saw
by fulltimesheep / April 9, 2006 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: iMac G3 Power Button

I was looking at keyboards for an imac g3 and saw this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/iMAC-APPLE-G3-G4-USB-KEYBOARD-NOTEBOOK-MAC-OS-NEW-BLUE_W0QQitemZ8791361945QQcategoryZ25444QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Graphite-USB-Keyboard-iMac-G3-G4-G5_W0QQitemZ8793590817QQcategoryZ4601QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They have the power button on the keyboard. I saw a picture of a G3 imac that didn't have a power button on the monitor, but I guess I must have just not noticed it. Why did Apple put one power button on the keyboard and one on the monitor? Seems kinda redundent.

Thanks for any help you guys can give : )

Collapse -
Ooops, my bad
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 9, 2006 10:42 PM PDT

I had forgotten the ancient keyboards that were available for the first iMacs.
Apart from the asthetics of the thing, there is no difference between a keyboard for an iMac and a keyboard for any other Mac, as long as it is a USB device.
The powerbutton, which could be considered nice, is not an essential for the iMac.
I don't know why Apple decided to do away with the button, I'm not privy to marketing decisions, but that size keyboard was not the most popular thing that they produced. The full sized keyboard that they sell, and have shipped with new machines for a few years, does not have a power button.
You will find the power button, on all G3 iMac's, on the front, on G4 (half ball type) on the side of the globe, and on G5's (all flavors) on the back.

If you are looking for a replacement keyboard for your existing iMac, you might want to consider a full sized one with a number pad which is a lot easier for adult sized fingers to type on. All USB keyboards will work, not just Apple ones. Check out your local electronics store.

Let us know how you get on

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.