Mac OS forum

General discussion

imac g3 / Netscape?

by ephelps26 / October 31, 2004 10:31 AM PST

I've got an imac g3 with an os9.2 which came loaded with the Microsoft Outlook browser. I've downloaded the Netscape 7.1 browser successfully, but I'm unable to get the download to 'launch'. When I click on the desktop icon I get a flag up saying that the application 'can't be found'. I'm wondering if perhaps Mac doesn't support the Netscape browser. What steps should I take to complete the installation so that I can use this browser? Thanks, Eric

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: imac g3 / Netscape?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: imac g3 / Netscape?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: imac g3 / Netscape?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 1, 2004 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: imac g3 / Netscape?

Netscape is supported on the Mac, infact it used to come bundled on every new machine. Currently the latest version of Netscape, for OS 9, is Version 7.0.2 Anything later than that will not run. Check the version you downloaded to make sure that you got the correct one. I assume that after you successfully downloaded Netscape, you were able to unstuff it and run the installer without any problems. I have just downloaded and installed NS 7.0 and on completion of the installation it tried to go to a web page that did not exist. An error message "www.netscape.ca could not be found. Please check the name and try again" If this is the error message you got,click OK and go up to the URL line and change the address to something like www.apple.com and all will be well. However, if the message was really about the application not being found, it means you have a broken alias. Open the Hard Drive, navigate to the Netscape folder and find the Netscape application (program) It is inside the Netscape folder, is called Netscape and has the Netscape icon. SINGLE click the icon, go to the file menu and Make an Alias. Alternatively, hold down the Apple key and press "M" to make an alias. Drag the alias onto the desktop and all should be well.

Collapse -
by ephelps26 / November 3, 2004 2:18 AM PST

Thanks for your reply mrmacfixit; I've got some more info on the problem: I can't find the Netscape folder [program] in the hardware file. The only reference there to Netscape is for an old Netscape Communicator, which, when opened, has no references to the NS 7.02 download. This computer was bought used through a local Mac store.
I do have two Netscape icons on the desktop; one [Netscape-Mach0.dmg]. When I double click on that icon I get a message up saying 'this program is too large to open with Simple Text.' When I click on the other icon [Netscape-Mach0.dmg.gz] the Alladin program appears to 'unstuff' it, but then, nothing else happens. More than likely it's all my unfamiliarity with Mac products. This is a used Imac g3 with macos9.2, but my daughter loves it, and when my old pc finally goes, it's Mac for me in the future. Thanks again for your help. Eric

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 4, 2004 4:17 AM PST

I think the best thing we can do here is to start again from scratch. From the information you just presented, I can see that you downloaded the NEW version of Netscape which will NOT run on your machine. Before you launch anything, click on an empty space on the desktop. Hold down the Apple Key(next to the spacebar) and press the "N" key. This makes a new folder on the desktop. Change the name of the folder to "downloaded files" (no quote marks)by SINGLE clicking on the name. When the name changes color, start typing. Fire up Internet Explorer and select EDIT/Preferences from the menubar at the top of the screen. If you can't find preferences, check ALL the menubar options until you do. Once you have found it, scroll down the left hand window until you find Receiving Files/Download options or Advanced/Download options. Click Download options. In the right hand window, click the Change Location button and in the window that appears, click Desktop, select the "Downloaded files" folder and click Choose. All files that you download from this point on will end up in that folder.
Fire up Internet Explorer, and go to http://www.netscape.ca/browsers/7/download/index.jsp If you typed it correctly you will go the download page for Netscape 7.02. You may even be able to click on the link in this window and go there. Below the Red button "Free Download" there are three arrows. Below that are the words "MAC OS 9 users click here" Do that. When you do, you should start downloading the correct version of Netscape for your machine. If you did everything else correctly, the file should appear in your downloaded files folder on the desktop. Click on Window in the menu bar and select Download Manager to see the progress of your download. More to follow.

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 4, 2004 4:27 AM PST

Once the file is downloaded and sitting in the Downloaded Files folder, you will have to decompress it using Stuffit Expander. This may happen automatically, if you're lucky, so you may find the decompressed file in the same folder as the original. The original file will look like a sheet of paper with a "G" clamp icon on it and be called Netscape-mac-full. The decompressed file will be a folder called Netscape Full Installer. If there is not a folder with that name anywhere, double click the original file and it should decompress using Stuffit Expander. Once it has decompressed, find the folder. It may not be in the Downloaded Files folder. Hold down the Apple key and press "F" if you need to search for it.
Before progressing any further, put all the old NS icons, that are on the desktop, into the trash bin.
Open the Netscape Full Installer folder, double click the Installer icon and follow the instructions. NS will install by itself. There will be an icon on the desktop once installation is complete.
That should just about cover it. Let me know how you go on.
Good Luck

Collapse -
Re: imac g3 / Netscape? OS9.2.2
by J Scammell / November 6, 2004 10:06 PM PST

Thanks mrmacfixit,

But I think my days back here in pre-OSX land are numbered. (using 9.2.2, iMac G3 #2) Its all getting too hard.

paypal.com recommended that I swap back to Netscape from IE because I found I could no longer get access via IE. So following your great instructions I did return to the NS (7.0) fold last night after a number of years on the other side. I can now use PayPal again. Great.

BUT, BUT my Yahoo! eMail is now uckfarred and unusable with NS. My mail lists are no longer visible. What I can see down the left side are all my Folder Icons with their names plastered over the top of the icons. What a stinker eh?

Any solution to this one, cause now I have to run both web browsers concurrently, NS & IE. This means I have to have more windows open than a football changeroom.

Thanks in anticipation.
Jim S
ADELAIDE

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 7, 2004 7:41 AM PST

Just as a matter of curiosity, what version of IE were you using before PayPal decided to get into the act?
Latest Version for OS 9.2.2 is V5.1.4 If this is NOT the version you were using before you made the change to Netscape, you might want to download it from the M$ site and try again. OS X, along with Safari or Firefox will be fair dinkum, provided that your G3 has the legs for it. Which one of the iMacs is it? I run Panther on a Slot loading iMac, 400Mhz, but have had it running on a 300.

Peter
POM in Louisiana

Collapse -
by J Scammell / November 8, 2004 9:01 PM PST

Dear Pete the Pom,
(POME - Prisoner of Mother England I assume) By George, your a long way off course if your forefathers were heading for Oz.

Anyway, thanks for the IE/NS input. I have been running IE V5.1.7 for a couple of months now. This just may be my problem if you rekon I should be on V5.1.4, but somehow I don't think so. These free-to-air services/applications we are using just seem to be leaving us behind now that OSX is up and running well. Your thoughts would be valued.

But, the IE version doesn't explain Yahoo! spitting the dummy under Netscape.

My iMac is a 350MHz slot load (2nd model iMac I think).

Thanks again
Jim S
Adelaide

Collapse -
by ephelps26 / November 8, 2004 2:06 AM PST

Your well written instructions easily got me to the correct NS download site for Mac os9 users, after creating a new 'download file' icon on the desktop. The download appears to have been successful; I now have 'Netscape Full' in the download file, but when I double click on the downloaded file, Netscape Full, to open the Netscape Installer I get a Stuffit flag up saying: 'Stuffit cannot open file because 'Drop Stuff' cannot be found'. I'm wondering now if the problem might be in my 'stuffit' program? Also, when I try Mac key +'N' to locate the Netscape Full Installer, the reply is that 'no file can be found'; guessing here that it can't be found because it hasn't yet been successfully 'unstuffed'. Thanks again for your help; look forward to your reply. Eric

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 8, 2004 3:47 AM PST

You are quite right. Hop back onto the web and go to http://www.stuffit.com/cgi-bin/stuffit_loginpage.cgi?standardmacexp ,fill in the required information and select the Classic OS version (English 7.0.3)(.sit). Needless to say, version 9 will not run under OS 9
After download, it should be in the "downloaded Files" folder you created, on the desktop when you downloaded NS. Bye the way, Apple + "N" does not search for files and folders, it creates a New folder. Apple + "F" is the search tool. Expand Expander, follow the instructions, probably restart and expand NS. Go from there. Good luck

Collapse -
by ephelps26 / November 9, 2004 2:58 AM PST

Bingo! The Stuffit download worked like a charm; brought the NS installer into view and off it went. Great stuff! Thanks again for all the good help; hoping this old PC I'm running will soon fizzle; working on my daughter's Imac g-3 has convinced me it's definitely the way to go. Eric

Collapse -
by J Scammell / November 8, 2004 8:38 PM PST

Eric,
When I was installing I rekon I had the same issue <error message>, but I double clicked on the single icon record visible in the window dialog box browser and away she went. Bingo, it installed OK. All a little confusing
Jim S
Adelaide

Collapse -
download error
by brantley75 / June 22, 2005 2:22 PM PDT

I have a imac G3 400 mz and followed the directions above to install the Netscape version 7. The Download manager window opens but it says error. I had this problem before and thought it was because I was using old Netscape and IE. I can't get anything to download. Help?

Collapse -
Define anything
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 9:37 PM PDT
In reply to: download error

Do you mean that you cannot get Netscape to download at all or do you mean that you cannot download any file from the internet?
What OS are you using and what version of what web browser are you surfing with?

P

Collapse -
no download
by brantley75 / June 23, 2005 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Define anything

I am not able to download anything. The download manager window opens and then it says ERROR. I'm using Imac G3 OS 9.2. and am using netscape 4. I tried to follow the directions above by making a new download folder in IE and used IE to download Netscape 7 but still got an ERROR message. I can't even download email attachments anymore. I am very frustrated!

Collapse -
OK
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 23, 2005 11:35 AM PDT
In reply to: no download

Try doing a CLEAN install of the OS, and hopefully your problem will be resolved.
To do a clean install, use the OS9.2 install disks or the Restore disks that came with the iMac.
If you only have the Restore disks, then you need to do a "Restore in Place" which will put a new OS on your drive and leave all your data alone.
A clean install is the same only you have to choose the Clean Install option from the First, or second, page of the installer

Hope this helps

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.