Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Imac freezez up

Imac freezez up a while after is on, is there a fan inside, because i don't hear it working, and the case is too hot. Ca it be the problem? It freezez even if it is there stand alone.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Imac freezez up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Imac freezez up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Questions

In reply to: Imac freezez up

What iMac is it?
What OS is it?
Does it have a CD tray, Has a Fan, or does it have Slot for the CD, NO Fan.
Obviously something is getting hot.
If the fan fails on an early iMac, it may be possible to have it replaced. On the Slot Loaders, you will have to find the cause of the overheating. It is not unusual for the HD to get hot, especially if it is not the one that shipped with the machine.
Make sure you have nothing blocking any of the vent holes.

P

Collapse -
Details

In reply to: Questions

It is a Mac OS 8.6 ROM 2.3.1
I don't know what model it is, but is one with all integrated in the monitor, it is purple and it only has a slot in the front for the cd rom.

Collapse -
This version

In reply to: Details

of the iMac, it is a iMac Slot Loading, has NO fan. This explains why you cannot hear one.
Mac OS 8.6 refers to the Operating System and has nothing to do with the type or model of your iMac.
If you have more than one RAM stick installed, you might try removing one of them and seeing if the problem continues.
The RAM is accessible via the removable cover under the machine. Lay the machine on its screen, put a cloth down to protect it, and at the bottom of the iMac you will see a removable plate. It just pries out. Release the RAM by pushing down on the white clips at each end of the slot.
If you only have one RAM stick installed, do nothing.
Could you give us a few more details about the actual freeze up. Will it freeze while you are actually working on it?
Does it go to sleep but no wake up?
What are you doing when it freezes.
Have you recently added any new software or hardware?
If this has been happening for a while, your next step may be a Clean Install of the OS. All the freezing and restarting are not doing the OS any good at all.
It is normal for the SL to run hot, the amount of hot air venting from the holes at the top of the machine is quite remarkable.

P

Collapse -
More details

In reply to: This version

I have only one ram installed
i thought it may be the energy saver thing, but i put "never" on all the options and the problem persists
I tryed changing the memory, problem still there.
I really thing is heating problem because if i leaved there a long time it freezez up but the system still on, i come back from wherever i was and turn it off then back on immediately and it does not turns on it only give me the blank bright screen it gives whern turning on. if i leave it there to could down and try to turn it on later it turns on fine, then lets say 1 or 2 hrs later it freezes up. if i reboot as soon as it freezez up, it goes on but freezez lets say as soon it shows the desktop. Thas why am sure it needs a cooling system. or something inside is not working as fine as it should.

Collapse -
OK,

In reply to: More details

I'm not convinced it is a heat problem. The machine is designed to run without a fan or other cooling devices. Now is the time to consider doing a Clean Install of the OS.
Everytime your system freezes, and you have to force it to reboot, the Operating System becomes a little more corrupt. It will not get better by itself.
Assuming you have the Installation disks for OS 8.6, or 8.5, you will have to boot the machine from the Installation disks, run the installer and at the first, or second, Option button, choose "Clean Install" This will put a brand new operating system on your Hard Drive and will NOT destroy any of your data. Do NOT proceed with the installation unless you see, and choose, the "Clean Install". You will have to reload any printer software.
Do you have either, the disks that came with the machine, or any other Mac OS Install disks??

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.