Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

iMAC CD Drive doesn't recognize CDs

by clarktwins / March 29, 2008 11:52 AM PDT

I have an iMac G3 running OS 10.3.9. It works fine, but recently I started having the familiar iMac problem of ejecting CDs. Well, the most recent time, it took me quite a while to dig the CD out. Since then, when I insert a CD, it just slides in the slot. No attempt by computer to accept the CD, no motor whirring, nothing. The only time the CD drive makes any noise is when the computer starts up. It whirs like it's accepting & reading an inserted CD. Otherwise, nothing. Thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iMAC CD Drive doesn't recognize CDs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iMAC CD Drive doesn't recognize CDs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Such drives do age.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2008 12:43 PM PDT

Did you try a new drive?

Collapse -
Old Age
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 29, 2008 1:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Such drives do age.

As Bob says, they do wear out.

If it is a Slot loading CD, they are plentiful on ebay and relatively easy to replace.

A little aptitude with a phillips screwdriver and you will be ready to go again

P

Collapse -
New drive worth it?
by clarktwins / March 29, 2008 1:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Old Age

Is it worth buying a new drive? Or is upgrading the entire computer the better way to go?

Collapse -
A dysfunctional laptop is usually worthless.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2008 10:38 PM PDT
In reply to: New drive worth it?

You'll get top dollar for a working laptop and half that to less if it has issues. The 10 to 99 bucks it costs to fix is worth it.
Bob

Collapse -
If you are currently considering a new iMac
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 29, 2008 11:03 PM PDT
In reply to: New drive worth it?

then, of course, the better way to go would be to just replace this older one.

You would then have new everything, including the OS, and everything would be up to date.

That said, the iMac G3 is still functional and would make a decent second, or even first, machine for someone. I can tell you that iMac G3's can be had on ebay at prices ranging from $19 to $150.

I would be tempted to buy the new one, repair the old one, and have two machines available at the house.

As Bob says, prices of machines with problems are not very high at all.

Good Luck

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.