Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

iMac audio jack to 5.1 Creative speakers

by Tadatvn / November 24, 2006 3:39 PM PST

Good day every one,

I'm going to make a transition from PC to Mac soon, but now I have my Creative 5.1 sound speaker system (with 3 lines of output, 1 for rears, front+center and the sub-woofer). The iMac only comes with a single optical audio output (Realtek HD?), I wonder if there is any hub-like device or so that allows me to fuse/connect physically the 3 lines in my 5.1 Creative system so that I will have a single line to transmit sound from my iMac to my set of speakers without compromising the 5.1 environment (6 speakers in full working working potential).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iMac audio jack to 5.1 Creative speakers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iMac audio jack to 5.1 Creative speakers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I know it isn't optical, but, like this?
by boya84 / November 25, 2006 4:15 AM PST
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/firewave/

I am also going to suggest that the Creative external boxes like
http://soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=206&product=10702&nav=2
and
http://soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=205&product=9103
will also work with Apple Macintosh gear through the USB port.

Years ago I got an Onkyo USB audio box that did not indicate Mac Support, but as it turns out, the hardware actually works plug'n'play, but the accompanying applications disc was Windows-only, hence no "MacOS" logo on the box. The same thing happened with a analog-digital video bridge (Dazzle Hollywood) I got to grab analog video from a VHS player (using FireWire)... It just works, even though the box had no information on Macs (again, the accompanying software and drivers - which I did not and could not use on the Mac was Windows-only).

Personally, I'd be taking a serious look at that Griffin box (using FireWire)... It is a bit pricey, though...

Please let us know how it all works out...
Collapse -
Griffin
by Tadatvn / November 25, 2006 6:45 AM PST

So, the box will most likely to override the audio coming out from the Mac and re-process the quality? By the way, does Griffin has good audio processing quality?

Collapse -
Hmmm interesting question...
by boya84 / November 25, 2006 1:05 PM PST
In reply to: Griffin

I don't think so... Presuming the audio in the iMac is digital, it is fed via FireWire to the Griffin box, so it is digital audio coming out of the computer to the the "external interface". There appear to be some controls for balancing - to your taste - the surround speakers and volume in general, but I don't think it "reprocesses" the quality"... there's no equalizer or anything like that (unless there's some included software that I didn't read about for the pre-processing)...

Griffin's been making good iPod gear for years... and audio quality can be subjective. I have not heard anything through this box...

I know I didn't find you the optical rig you were looking for. I would normally expect that optical jack on the iMac to connect to a multi-media amp or receiver equipped with an optical-in jack. Though I would not normally expect to connect Creative speakers to that type of a set-up.

Collapse -
can't use soundblaster with mac?!?!
by beekay_20 / February 7, 2009 12:01 PM PST

hi there.. i moved from pc to mac and i cant use my creative sound blaster 24bit external with my mac. well it shows in the system preferences in sound, but cant hear anything when selected. i guess need some kinda software for it?!? as the cd which came along with it isnt working..

any help will be appreciated, as too broke to get new speaker system..

regards
beekay

Collapse -
Your Soundblaster
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 7, 2009 11:38 PM PST

is designed for a Windows based system and none of the Windows software on that CD will work on your Mac.

However, I did note that your system did not come with any speakers. That being the case, and assuming that you did not buy Creative speakers with the proprietary connection, you should be able to plug your speakers directly into your Mac. (Wonder what Mac you have?)
Of course, the speakers would have to be powered.

P

Collapse -
help with macbook & 5.1 speakers
by beekay_20 / February 8, 2009 12:46 AM PST
In reply to: Your Soundblaster

lol..did i forget to mention tht i have 5.1 creative speakers and which r defiantly connected with the sound card.. Silly

i have the new mackbook, as there are the three jack things with the speakers, don't know how to put them in the macbook.. or when i put the sound blaster usb, sound doesn't come.. i have searched for some software for it, but no luck till now...

Collapse -
Three Jack things
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 8, 2009 6:56 AM PST

There is only one Audio output from the Macbook and that is the 3.5mm socket.

If you cannot connect your speakers to the Macbook directly, via the 3.5mm socket, does the Creative device have a 3.5mm input jack?

Have you considered calling Tech Support at Creative?

P

Collapse -
macbook vs 5.1 creative speakers
by beekay_20 / February 8, 2009 1:55 PM PST
In reply to: Three Jack things

do u mean my soundcard? if it got the input jack?? & i contacted apple store and they said something about SPDIF cable... as there is a slot of SPDIF OUT on my soundcard!!

i cheked for tht wire, and just wanted to be sure if i should buy it..well hopefully it would work, and ill contact the creative suport people..

thnks Happy

Collapse -
SPDIF Cable
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 9, 2009 1:45 AM PST

The Macbook has an Digital/Optical/headphone output but I am not sure if it is a Sony/Phillips Digital Interface Type.
I know that the SB has one of those but it is only an Output which means you still have the problem of getting audio into the SB box.

P

Collapse -
mackbook with 5.1 creative speakers
by beekay_20 / March 13, 2009 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: SPDIF Cable

hi.. well i tried to connect the 24bit external sound card with my mackbook. I have 5.1 surround sound creative speakers. Well now its working as a 2.1 as i need the software for the 5.1 sound.
So any advice or anything else i need for it?

thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?