Desktops forum

General discussion

Im so LOST. Motherboard Question.

by itrust / August 1, 2005 2:49 PM PDT

Hi, everyone!

I have a feeling that you ppl may LOL so hard cos the stupid question Im going to ask. Its okay to LOL cos I can take it! LOL! Okay, I have a 2.4P4 533FSB Northwood, I need a new motherboard. Does any motherboard accept this CPU if it states "Supported CPU, CPU Socket Type Socket 478, CPU Type Intel Pentium 4/Celeron, FSB 800/533MHz, Supported CPU Technologies Hyper-Threading Technology"?

As you can see I dont have any clues about PC's. So go ahead and LOL im not watching! LMAO!

Always LOST in space w/o my CNET buddies out there to save me! Happy

Brandon

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Im so LOST. Motherboard Question.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Im so LOST. Motherboard Question.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Many boards available
by Steven Haninger / August 1, 2005 11:58 PM PDT

I took a look at your profile first and you show owning a Dell. Though plenty of socket 478s are still out there, putting one in a Dell case might be a problem. Is this the PC you are speaking of? If so, the task of replacing the MB becomes more complicated. As I said, socket 478s are plentyful. Most of these should support your processor if it's working ok. I won't offer specific recommendations as that depends much on what you want to do and what features you need. As for myself, I like ASUS boards.

Collapse -
Many boards available
by jcrobso / August 2, 2005 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Many boards available

Dell also uses a non standard ATX MB and power connector, so it you get a non Dell mb and use the Dell PSU everything will go up in smoke. So you may be looking at new MB, case and PSU. John

Collapse -
Hmmm.
by itrust / August 2, 2005 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Many boards available

Okay, my motherboard on my DELL is no good, so I want to buy a new one, a new case. So I was just wondering when I look for motherboards if it states supports 533FSB that it will work with my CPU. Btw, tks for the reply on which motherboard you like. Thats a plus my dear old bud! Happy

Brandon

Collapse -
I did get your e-mail
by Steven Haninger / August 2, 2005 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmm.

but I'd suggest waiting for and getting as many replies as possible as others may have advice to offer. It sounds as if your processor will work in any of a number of boards such as are offered at NewEgg as already suggested. You can plug your CPU information into their MB options and get lots of hits in lots of price ranges. Many are jumper free and will detect your CPU's capabilities and configure it for you. You might or might not be able to use the memory that's on your Dell. This is something else to consider. Make sure you get a board that's socket 478 and not 775. If you need a new case, get one with a power supply of 350w or higher. Some folks will recommend more but your processor should run ok at that wattage. Good luck.

Collapse -
You've e-mailed me twice
by Steven Haninger / August 2, 2005 12:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Hmmm.

You have not turned on the feature to allow e-mail through your profile so I cannot respond to your query that way. Here's my thoughts however. It's best to keep questions inside the forums where someone with some knowledge of the problem can address them. My own competence is limited to specific areas or situations. Many others here are far more advanced or have expertise where I do not. When you pose a question, you may get lots of responses and not all will be of value. Sometimes subtopics break off. Browse the forums and just read about other folks problems and the suggested solutions. If you do enough of this, I can almost guarantee you will read about a problem you do not have now but will have in the future and BINGO!! you will already now how to handle it. Now, while I don't mind carrying certain conversations away from the forums, I think it's best to limit these. The forums can get cluttered by one way conversations and that might be a time to move to e-mail. But, for security reasons, I will not give out my personal address. If you want responses through the forums, you need to edit your profile to allow this.

Collapse -
Roger.
by itrust / August 2, 2005 12:48 PM PDT

Okay this forum is close please dont respond to this forum cos I know what to do. Thanks to the couple of ppl that helped me out. I found everything that I needed. So thanks again.

Btw, Steven trust me I wont e-mail 24/7 cos I dont often have problems with PC's to begin with. It was just this one. The reason why I asked you cos it might be so simple that its not worth posting on the forums. Plus I've been reading posts from this website, most of the time it goes off topic.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Only because opening posts non Specific!
by phantazy / August 2, 2005 8:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Roger.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!