Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Im not sure where to begin..

Hi everyone im going round in circles & would be grateful for any pointers..My daughter locked herself out of her dell optiplex GX150 running Windows 2000. All attempts to gain access were futile so using the ubcd4windows i attempted to rollback the registry to a few days prior as the password tools wouldnt work. I thought id rolled it back to 2/jan/07,it definately said 2/1. On reboot it did bypass the logon screen & load the OS but it appears like it would when in safe mode,the graphics are really bad & everything else is too big,even web pages. I think i may have rolled it back to 2/1/06 when the pc was in the recycle shop having windows 2000 installed because the w2k welcome & getting started screen came up.(but all my daughters recipes etc are still there from christmas) The device manager says some of the drivers are not working or installed but when i click on update drivers it says its found some & installed them but on checking again it hasnt or it says suitable drivers for the device are already installed but when clicking on it again it says there isnt any drivers installed? The devices are video controller,microsoft w2k publisher & intel 5.0.21.84.1,numeric data processor,program interrupt controller,system board properties & system speaker. Should i be uninstalling these installed/not installed drivers & start from scratch? Thanks everyone...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Im not sure where to begin..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Im not sure where to begin..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"the password tools wouldnt work."

In reply to: Im not sure where to begin..

If Petri's lost password article doesn't work you have a damaged OS. The first order of business is to save the files. You seem to know about boot CDs so use one like INSERT LINUX (see google.com) that lets you copy the files at risk out. Now you can perform a PARALLEL INSTALL (google.com) and start migrating to the new OS.

Bob

Collapse -
hello Bob

In reply to: "the password tools wouldnt work."

Thanks for the reply. That boot disk has helped me out of a few fixes but the sala password tool didnt seem to be compatible with the w2k. Its a long story but i tried everything on the cd but to no avail until i rolled back the registry. I also spent a lot of time over at Petri's which i found to be a wealth of knowledge concerning password problems & other problems. The thing is ive got into the w2k OS so we can retrieve any important photo's & recipes etc but i cant do a parallel install or any other install due to not having the disks if thats what a parallel install needs. You'l have to excuse me being such a novice. I am interested to hear of any recovery options because i dont like to just give up but the dell could do with a complete overhaul so maybe my best option is to remove the hard drive(which is only 20G) & buy a bigger one & a new xp OS or even a new pc would be cost effective. Thanks for the tips,im just going to check out whats said about parallel install,cheers Bob.

Collapse -
"not having the disks" = Dead end.

In reply to: hello Bob

Sorry, but just like fixing the flat on your car if you are missing the jack, wrench or spare tire then the repair isn't going to happen.

Time to find that missing CD.

Bob

Collapse -
absolutely

In reply to: "not having the disks" = Dead end.

I havent had a pc for long but one valuable thing ive learned is always buy a pc with the disks included,where applicable..I googled the parallel install & the first site that i looked at said insert your 2000 cd,arrggh! thanks for confirming the obvious yet again Bob..

Collapse -
I can undo the registry changes with the boot cd

In reply to: absolutely

but then im back to square one,locked out of the computer. Would it be possible to edit the registry to gain access or bypass logon?

Collapse -
The tool I'm using is...

In reply to: I can undo the registry changes with the boot cd

The article by Petri.

Bob

Collapse -
to be honest the computer jargon baffles me

In reply to: The tool I'm using is...

Ive read it over & over & followed the links etc but i find it difficult to comprehend. Earlier though i did manage to load a ISO file to make a bootable password reset disk,dont ask me how because im not sure myself how i managed it! Its the one from http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpassword/-ive had it up & running & the problem seems to be that the accounts are all locked out so im retrying it to unlock the accounts instead of changing the password. I think it was Petri's site that gave me the link..

Collapse -
sorry about the rubbish link

In reply to: to be honest the computer jargon baffles me

I told you i was a novice! Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.