Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Im Having trouble setting up my network?

by e22s / April 17, 2004 10:54 AM PDT

I just got a new computer which is a Sony Vaio with Window XP and with a Pentium 4..my old one was a Gateway with Windows 98 and with a Pentium 2...i had a network hook up before anf i tried using the wizard guide from, the Windows XP to set up the newtwork but its not working..its a home network im trying to set up...the other computer im trying to hook up is a Dell Demension XPS 300D with windows 98 and a pentium 2...is there another site like this one (http://wpool.com/cablesharing/4.htm) that can help me?...i cant seem to get what the web sites telling me to becuase i cant find the things in the control panel thats its telling me to do. Thanks for the help..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Im Having trouble setting up my network?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Im Having trouble setting up my network?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Having trouble reading about your network.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2004 11:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re:Having trouble reading about your network.
by e22s / April 17, 2004 11:42 AM PDT

sorry bout that, i got the internet to work on my other computer but i need to know how i can share files...the computer with Windows XP has the Wireless-B Broadband Router from Linksys and my other computer has the Wireless-B USB Network Adapter from Linksys. Thanks

Collapse -
Re:Re:Having trouble reading about your network.
by e22s / April 17, 2004 11:54 AM PDT

thanks, but i cant find anything on the both site that can help me. i just need to know how to set this computer up and my other computer up to share files. This computer has windows XP and my other one has Windows 98. If theres any more information you'll need please let me know, thanks

Collapse -
The most common reason file sharing doesn't work is the firewall.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2004 12:16 PM PDT

Most of the setup sites don't tell you to setup the sharing first, then the firewall.

Again, be wordy about what works and what you need to fix plus divulge the setup. It's not clear how things are connected, if firewalls are up and if you added users to the XP and 98 box so shares can work.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:The most common reason file sharing doesn't work is the firewall.
by e22s / April 17, 2004 12:19 PM PDT

Its connected through a wireless system from Linksys. I dont know if there is a firwall...its was easy setting up when both the computers were windows 98...

Collapse -
Cover the basics.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2004 12:28 PM PDT

Look at how Internet Connection Firewall is set. Hint: it's in the Start, Help and Support so I don't duplicate it here.

Next, tell if the workgroup names are the same.

Finally, you never told if you created an user on the XP box for the 98 user and if the 98 box has the Microsoft networking installed.

Just FYI, all this is in the supplied links, which I understand is a lot to digest, but you have to do the work. I found it no harder to setup XP than NT, Windows 2000 and 98 clients.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob, I find on my XP boxes that simple file sharing is default
by trytohelp / April 17, 2004 1:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Cover the basics.

and have never had to make a special account on the serving box to take files off of it from other PC's. In Windows 98se I use to be able to make a password to a share but never had to log in to remote(sharing) computer to read its files as long as there was someone(anyone) logged into it(the sharing PC). I think that's because if you just push cancel on 98se instead of signing in when you first turn on the pc or when you restart, you are not truely logged into the network. Anyways I think if you have the firewall off and you share a folder, networking in xp is almost automatic.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Having trouble reading about your network.
by Peter Dunn / May 31, 2004 10:33 AM PDT

Hi

I am trying to network from a computer that has Windows ME as the operating system to another with Windows XP (home edition). I was previously networked between a windows 98 and a ME. I keep getting a message to suggest that i cannot network between these two computers. Any advice?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Having trouble reading about your network.
by Peter Dunn / May 31, 2004 10:39 AM PDT

Hi

I'm trying to connect a compaq machine with windows Me and a Compaq with windows XP home edition. I get a message telling me that i connot connect these two. I previously had the me connected to a compaq with windows 98. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Another article.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2004 1:00 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re:Im Having trouble setting up my network?
by Lexus / April 29, 2004 9:19 PM PDT

Have you installed NetBeuiXP on the Gateway machine. It is required so that the dissimilar OSs can see one another. If you have not, respond to nsr98225#yahoo.com off forum and I will send you the file.

Norm

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?