Laptops forum

General discussion

Im considering buying a laptop, any suggestions?

by don13ger / November 5, 2005 1:35 PM PST

im looking for the very best laptop available...
price doesnt matter.. if anyone knows that theres an upcoming one, i can also wait.. just gimme suggestions..
i need it to be lighweight, decent lcd size, huge hardrive, fast...

im thinking bout Sony VAIO VGN-TX670P, is it really good?
would it be compatible if i upgrade it to windows vista soon?

i need the laptop for editing pictures and just to play around with...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Im considering buying a laptop, any suggestions?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Im considering buying a laptop, any suggestions?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just wondering.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2005 11:00 PM PST

Your question was asked recently in this forum. What did you think of the make/models proposed in those discussions?

bob

Collapse -
i wasnt able to read that thread...
by don13ger / November 7, 2005 10:31 AM PST
In reply to: Just wondering.

i didnt see the laptops suggested...

Collapse -
The "best"?
by togus / November 6, 2005 12:27 AM PST

How is anyone to respond to that question with no context? What are you going to use it for? Will you travel with it? Do you need it to be built extra tuff? Will you put great demand on the GPU? Is batttery life important? Are you concerneded about the 64 bit shift? What about audio demands?

Put a bit of effort into your question and you may get a helpful answer.

Collapse -
im gonna use it for...
by don13ger / November 7, 2005 10:36 AM PST
In reply to: The "best"?

graphics, editing images and maybe videos too.
im bringing it to travel with, wouldnt mind spending a lot on it.. yup, im concerned bout the 64 bit shift, i need something compatible for the upgrade... audio, not so much, i can buy headphones, thatll do...battery life, just average, as long as its longer than 2 hours..

Collapse -
If your concerned about the 64 bit issue...
by togus / November 7, 2005 8:31 PM PST
In reply to: im gonna use it for...

and want a lappy with average battery life that you can travel with you pretty much need to look at Turion based machines, that limits the choices a lot. If you wantgood graphics performance you need a dedicated GPU, that limits you a lot more. You could look at a Acer Ferrari, a MSI 1029 or another Acer whose number I can't remember. There are likely one or a few more machines that others know about, but not many.

If these don't appeal you can wait for the dual core processors to appear, likely in the Spring, or look at P-M based machines, which right now are the best overall performing lappys availablem

Collapse -
what are those dual core processors?
by don13ger / November 8, 2005 12:06 PM PST

what benefits could they provide?

Collapse -
That's 2006.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2005 8:31 PM PST

Dual core laptops should appear late next year or maybe 2007.

If you've used such machines, you will want one.

Bob

Collapse -
Just what the name implies..
by togus / November 8, 2005 9:50 PM PST

Essentially it's a processor that works just like two processors working together... very fast, likely very expensive.

Collapse -
is it a very big difference?
by don13ger / November 9, 2005 7:06 PM PST

should i wait for it?

Collapse -
Dual core processors will be a big deal , but...
by togus / November 9, 2005 8:58 PM PST

They may be out in the Spring or, as often happens with technology, they may not be available until late '06...or beyond. They will cost more and I expect (expect is the right word, I've not read anything about this) they will use more battery power and run hotter than P-Ms.

Whenever I've bought a computer I had to face the fact that as I was contemplating my purchase I'd read about a newer/better solution that was coming down the track. For me the trick is to keep a realistic perspective on what I need/can afford/will lose if I wait to buy. Recently this struggle centered around 64 vs. 32 bit technology (closely related to your Vista question). In the end, I decided the value and performance offered in the 32 bit world was the end of the compromise that worked for me. I bought a HP Dv4000 with the X700 GPU for $1170, what I still think is a wicked good deal (Similar performance to an Acer Ferrari and a grand cheaper, and $1500 cheaper than a Osoomo!).

Obliviously, I wouldn't wait for Vista/64 bit for a lappy purchase. I'm enjoying my machine right now.

Collapse -
i might be doing the same..
by don13ger / November 10, 2005 9:00 PM PST

im gonna read more..
hopefully i can decide to purchase before the year ends.. thanks for the infos...

Collapse -
some guesswork
by 0wnz / November 6, 2005 3:58 AM PST

Judging by the limited information that you gave in your question, as well as the fact that you are concidering a vaio tx, I would say look at asus z33a http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=606&l1=5&l2=64&l3=0

Sony makes good looking laptops that malfunction quickly and their tech support is worthless. Unless you want an expensive paperweight, stay far away. Keep in mind that a 2 - 3 lb laptop will have very limited functionality.

also, panasonic has some lightweight models available that you might be interested in:

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelList?storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&catGroupId=25095&cacheProgram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702

Collapse -
heres my suggestion
by hijack masta / November 9, 2005 9:21 AM PST

if you don't care about brand, then the raptor 226v at xtremenotebooks.com will be good, it has a 17 inch screen and 5.2 pounds, with a nvidia 6800 graphics card, but if you care about brand, then I would think that the dell latitude d610 or the precision m20 will do fine with 64 meg graphics and 1 gig of ram. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
If you don't care about OS...
by whizkid / November 9, 2005 10:28 AM PST
In reply to: heres my suggestion

I would get a 17" Apple Powerbook. It seems like a solution that would work, unless you want windows. If you want windows, get what you think is a decent notebook.

Collapse -
what would be your suggestion if...
by don13ger / November 9, 2005 7:07 PM PST

.. i would say i care bout the brand plus what it can do..
i like my laptop to look good plus perform exceptionally..

Collapse -
I would say...
by hijack masta / November 11, 2005 1:06 PM PST

the hp l2000 special edition notebook, it has a ati graphics card, 14.1 inch display, 6 hours of battery life with the 12 cell( which only costs 39 dollars), i would recommend you upgrade to the ml -70 processor, 12 cell battery, 1 gig ram(if possible), better speakers, and bright view screen.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.