HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Question

Im accidentally pirating off my grandmothers computer. Help

by Inu-Neko-Chan / August 9, 2013 3:30 PM PDT

My grandmother has been complaining about her stuff disappearing. I show up on her computer. She said im pirating off of her. I don't understand how I am and its all completely accidental. What do i do to stop it? I need help!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Im accidentally pirating off my grandmothers computer. Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Im accidentally pirating off my grandmothers computer. Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Going to need more to go on

Going to need more to go on than that, because what you said makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Collapse -
Answer
My twopence worth
by MikeAanders / August 9, 2013 11:50 PM PDT

OK, the only way that you can interfere with your gran's file from your PC (and for her to see you on her PC) is for you to be both on a LAN.
On your PC, go into Windows Explore. At the bottom of the list in left hand pane click Network. Do you see your gran's PC listed?
Do the same on your gran's PC, does she see your PC?

If the answer is no, then she is being hacked by an outside source. If she is, it may be too late, but do a full virus scan on her PC (and I mean full, with all options ticked). I take it she has antivirus software installed?
Do another full scan with ESET online scanner (Google them)
Do another full scan with MalwareBytes (Google them & install), you will have 2 free weeks to use their Pro version).

If you can see each other on your network. On your gran's PC, in Windows Explore, right click on her main drive where her data is stored (probably C: drive). Select Properties, Click Sharing Tab. Does it say "Shared"? Go into Advanced Sharing. Uncheck "Share this folder".

OK to everything.
I'd reboot the PC.
Bet you cannot see her now (if if it says you can, bet you can't access it)

Hope that helps

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.