Photo Editing & Graphic Design forum

General discussion

Illustrator will only export tiny portion of image!!?

by alluraofarus / July 26, 2009 6:54 PM PDT

I have an image I created in Photoshop, in which all of the layers but 1 are vector-based (i.e. shapes and text). I need to vectorize the whole image so it can be blown up to 8 feet by 2 feet for a sign company, so I opened the psd in Illustrator, and "live traced" the only rasterized layer to make it into a vector. All good so far. The only problem is that when I try to export the file to pdf or save as anything other than .ai, it only saves a cropped version of the image - a tiny portion of it. I don't have anything selected when I save, at least not as far as I can tell - what would cause Illustrator to keep doing this? Unfortunately I'm not as familiar with AI as I am with PS. Also, is there a way to change the fonts to vector shapes instead of fonts, so that the sign company doesn't need them installed on their own computer to view (I know how to rasterize type, but I need it to be vector-based still - do I have to rasterize and *then* vectorize it?). Basically, how do I get the entire image to the sign printers, all vectorized, looking the same way it looks in the .ai file on my screen??
Thank you for any help - this is very time-sensitive.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Illustrator will only export tiny portion of image!!?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Illustrator will only export tiny portion of image!!?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Being time sensitive
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2009 6:48 AM PDT

I would:

a. Post in our more active forums.

b. Call Adobe and pay for the answer.

Collapse -
Outline the fonts and make the document size larger
by RLKrueger / August 11, 2009 4:34 PM PDT

I work with Illustrator all day at a label factory and I think I have the answers for you. When saving to a PDF, only the image that is showing within the document area is going to show on your pdf. If your image is 2 feet x 4 feet (for example) and your document size is 8.5 x 11, then you will only see the portion that happens to line up within the document border. If you save as an .ai file or an .eps file, then all of the image, regardless of the document size, will show when the file is opened or placed. To make sure that the document can be opened without font problems, outline the fonts. This is done on a PC by holding down the control key, shift key and the "o" key at the same time. On the Mac, replace the control key with the apple key. Be sure to select all the copy that you want to outline first. As a rule, I do a select all, then outline the fonts and then I save as an eps file. This works best for almost all applications.
If you wish to save as an pdf file, make sure that your document size is large enough for all of the copy to fit into. Then do a select all and then outline all the fonts. Now when the file is opened into Illustrator there will not be any font issues. The file will not be able to be edited after you outline the fonts, so save the file before and after with different names. I usually save the file first as an .ai file with the fonts that are editable. Then I do a select all and outline the fonts and save as an .eps file. If I need to edit the file at a later date, I open the ai file. If I need to output the file, or send out the file, then I open or send the eps file.
I have noticed that almost never do you have a font problem when opening a file in Adobe Reader. But, opening a PDF file in Illustrator often requests fonts if they are not on your system. If a customer sends me a file that is not outlined and I have missing fonts, I do not ask for the fonts. I ask them to outline the fonts. This is not only a lot easier, but it keeps you from installing many fonts on your system that are not legal. For best results, you may forward to a service bureau (for output of signs, printing, labels, etc) an Illustrator eps file with the fonts outlined and a pdf with the fonts outlined also. This will insure that they can use the file and that the fonts will be correct. I have come across a few PDF files that when opened in Adobe Reader, have wrong fonts. This can be a real big problem as spacing may be different resulting in errors. Be sure to outline the fonts. Hope this helps. Sorry about all the details, but usually a little extra information can be dealt with easier than not enough.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.