Mac Applications forum

General discussion

illustrator 10 on mac to pc using transparencys

by pimpcesss / October 22, 2007 3:12 PM PDT

How do I save a picture I made in illustrator [on a mac]? Making sure to be able to print it at a printshop like on a business card or sign? What format and how? I saved it everyway and Im not able to open it in Adobe reader on a pc, and if I do it's missing chunks of the artwork.?????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: illustrator 10 on mac to pc using transparencys
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: illustrator 10 on mac to pc using transparencys
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ask the print shop what format they use.
by grimgraphix / October 23, 2007 1:29 AM PDT

If you ask the printshop before hand, there will be no confusion about what file formats the can, and can not print. Happy

Adobe reader is a PDF reader.

cheers

grim

Collapse -
OK... let me see if I have this straight...
by grimgraphix / October 23, 2007 12:48 PM PDT
more specific
by pimpcesss - 10/22/07 9:25 PM
In reply to: More specific, please... by grimgraphix
Ok, How do I save a picture I made in illustrator [on a mac]? Making sure to be able to print it at a printshop like on a business card or sign?.... What format and how? I saved it everyway and Im not able to open it in Adobe reader on a pc...
Thx!

-----------------

Adobe "ACROBAT" Reader?
by grimgraphix - 10/23/07 8:24 AM
In reply to: more specific by pimpcesss
Adobe Acrobat Reader is a PDF viewer. Save the image in PDF format and Adobe Acrobat Reader (which many walk-in print shops use instead of photoshop, illustrator, indesign, etc.).

Better yet, contact the print shop or card printing service you are planning on using, and ask them what file formats the want the document saved in.

If you are printing the cards yourself, on a PC/printer setup, then let us know what programs you are using for spacing and formatting the cards.

grim

-------------------

Sad
by pimpcesss - 10/23/07 2:12 PM
In reply to: Adobe "ACROBAT" Reader? by grimgraphix
Ok this is the thing. I have tried every way of saving! PDF, EPS, TIFF, JPEG, AI! Eachtime I try to open on the pc within Adobe reader it says " error while trying to parse an object" and opens the picture without the transparency's , pretty much making the picture look like an amature picture without shading. I just cant figure it out. Im stuck....

---------------------

Unfortunately, I am not familiar enough with Illustrator 10, to know if there is a common problem you are running into. Obviously, the issue is that what you see after working in Illustrator, is not what you see after you save it and move the file to another computer. Let me ask you this. If you save the image on your mac as a jpeg, tiff, prf, etc... can you use mac's image viewer called "Preview" to open the image and does it show the image as you saved it, or does it also reveal you are missing your transparency effects.

I will have a chance to ask a friend who uses Illustrator version 10 tomorrow, if there is a common bug you are running into but for right now, I'm kinda clueless.

grim
Collapse -
I talked with my friend who uses Illustrator 10...
by grimgraphix / October 24, 2007 8:42 AM PDT

... and he stated there might be some problem if you were opening up the eps file on another computer, but there should be no issue if you save the file as a jpeg. Even if it is an older version of Illustrator 10 that you do it with.

I am curious... have you tried opening the jpeg up on the same apple computer using Preview yet? What was the result?

grim

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.