Computer Help forum

General discussion

Ill understand all this one day....

by TyshiaT / February 23, 2007 3:05 AM PST

okay i just did a full system restore on my computer yesterday and the programs that come with the computer are from 04 i have a ton of updates in XP. can i delete any of the old updates in my add and remove program folder for example i have a update for windows media player and then another for windows media player 9???
oh and can you tell me i know every one asks this question but my head ACHES because i dont know what i need as for as virus and security goes

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ill understand all this one day....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ill understand all this one day....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
After a full system restore ...
by Kees Bakker / February 23, 2007 3:13 AM PST

you're not supposed to have anything else than what was restored. So surely no later updates (what updates?) and nothing you installed yourself in Config Panel>Add/remove (just the things that were there already when you bought the machine in 2004).

It's not clear to me what you have done exactly, and what the current status of your PC is.

For security you need a two-sided firewall, an antivirus and at least one antispyware solution. For all of these there are free ones and others you've got to pay for.
And, of course, after a restore back to 2004, you might need to reinstall the XP SP2 update to start with, if that wasn't included then.

So please tell more.

Kees

Collapse -
You Can't 'Delete' From 'Add-Remove Programs'
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 23, 2007 3:19 AM PST

If you open the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs section and "select the "Remove" option for each of those updates, then updates will be uninstalled, NOT deleted.. You still want all of those updates to remain so the computer will run better and safer. If simply want to prevent them from showing up in Add/Remove, UNCHECK the "Show Updates" box at the top of the window.

On the other hand, it is possible to delete the actual uninstall files, (as long as you're sure you won't use them again) by opening Windows Explorer, then navigate to the C\Windows folder and delete all the files that look like: ""$NtUninstallKBXXXXX". Each of those take up quite a bit a space and if you're not going to uninstall any of the updates, then you can manually delete each one. (It's best NOT to delete the one folder named: "$hf_mig$") But even if you remove all the uninstall folders, the entries will remain in 'Add/Remove" unless you edit the registry to get rid of the registry entries.

Then, if there are any remnants in the "Control Panel-Add/Remove Programs" section:
http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/110/

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.