No experience with this nice little error, so went to google: http://www.google.com/search?q=epson+%22memory+could+not+be+read%22
Lot of hits. I only looked at the from Epson itself: run the program in Windows 98 compatability mode.
It might help to download the latest drivers from the Epson site. It's hard to believe they aren't yet fully supporting Windows XP.
Hope this helps.
WinXP Pro; Pent4; 512ram;
After reinstalling all Windows Updates, including SP2, my Epson Stylus CX 5200 printer (all-in-one)would not work.
1. I uninstalled all 4 Epson programs
2. reinstalled all 4 programs(without USB connected) (and without anitvirus active)
3. reinstalled all Epson updates from Epson.com
4. Three of the programs installed O.K.
5. Fourth program, Epson Smart panel error = = =
THE INSTRUCTIONS AT 0X771c76cb REFERENCED MEMORY AT
0X001693c8. THE MEMORY COULD NOT BE READ.