Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

IIS FTP

by mrsubway / November 2, 2008 11:16 PM PST

I am trying to setup 2 seperate ftp site on a windows 2000 server with IIS. For some reason, only port 21 will work. Not a firewall or router problem. I know I need two seperate ports for each ftp site, but only 21 gives me access.

All other ports return an error.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IIS FTP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IIS FTP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What about the other FTP port?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2008 11:37 PM PST
In reply to: IIS FTP

There are 2 so did you open both?

" A client opens a connection to the FTP control port (port 21) of an FTP server. So that the server will be later able to send data back to the client machine, a second (data) connection must be opened between the server and the client. "

That is unless you are using PASV.
Bob

Collapse -
hmmm
by mrsubway / November 2, 2008 11:49 PM PST

Hmmm. Not sure I get it.

I have created two ftp sites, both turned on.

The one on port 21 works perfectly. I assume I cannot have two seperate sites running on the same port, so I assigned a port other than 21 to the second server. ftp://100.100.100.100, with no port, takes me to the 21 site. But, if I assign, let us say, port 45 to the second site and do ftp://100.100.100.100:45, I get an error.

Here, in a nutshell, is what I want. I have two users, and I want them to access this server via ftp, but see different directories. I don't want them both seeing each other's work, which is why I setup two sites.

I'm sorry if I seem ignorant, but I'm new to ftp. I've read that iis is not the best.

Any secondary port I have chosen I have forwarded in the router, so I know that's not it. Sad

Thanks.

Collapse -
New?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2008 12:20 AM PST
In reply to: hmmm

Use what I've told you to research more about FTP. Then again you could have tried PASV? I can't teach FTP use here. But if you look on google you find all the details.

Again. Use PASV.
Bob

Collapse -
file permissons
by geekphreak / November 28, 2008 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: hmmm

Please go through the the file/folder permisson settings as well and try to use a diferent folder for the other 100.100.100.100:45 ftp server, Do not use same folders , Keep everything diferent , names/folders/permissions

Good luck
Gautam

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!