General discussion

IHOP sues IHOP ...

One IHOP is the pancake place. The other is the International House of Prayer. I've long suspected that the prayer group was well aware of the pancake folks before they chose their name, but I don't know that the prayer IHOP actually threatens the pancake IHOP's trademark. Another case in which the only real winners are the lawyers.

IHOP Sues IHOP
IHOP (pancake), based in Glendale, Calif., has sued IHOP (prayer), based in Kansas City, for trademark dilution and infringement. The lawsuit, filed last week in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, essentially said there was room for only one IHOP and that would be the restaurant chain that has been using the initials since 1973

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: IHOP sues IHOP ...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: IHOP sues IHOP ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
My issue withIHOP...
- Collapse -
(NT) Looks a bit like Cookie Monster
- Collapse -
Stupid lawsuit

The two entities would not be in competition...er..unless the church had a pancake breakfast after Sunday services. Happy In fact, I don't think it was the restaurant who first called themselves IHOP. I believe it started with customers using the abbreviation and the restaurant company liked and adopted it. I can't prove it but I heard it called IHOP years before any signs changed.

CNET Forums

Forum Info