The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Ignorance of 13 yrs old music pirates

by FBallrox003 / October 18, 2007 12:28 PM PDT

Yes, I am one of the younger listeners of BOL being 13 yrs old.

While talking about Jammie Thomas, Tom and Molly mentioned that ignorance cannot be an excuse for illegally downloaded songs. At lunch at school today, some of my less technology inclined friends didn't realize that by downloading songs off limewire were illegal. What I thought was the funniest was that one person pays for Limewire Pro and thinks that by paying, he isn't pirating.
Well, I think that based on only like 5 of my friends, that kids generally arn't being intentionally bad, they are just extremely ignorant about these p2p programs.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ignorance of 13 yrs old music pirates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ignorance of 13 yrs old music pirates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Still not an excuse....
by paintguru / October 18, 2007 12:56 PM PDT

Perhaps if the parents had more of an idea what their kids were doing, they could teach them that downloading these songs is illegal. Of course that is my wild and crazy way of thinking I guess.

Collapse -
But that would mean...
by Nicholas Buenk / October 18, 2007 1:25 PM PDT

Parents would have to pay for their kids music. Conflict of interest there is here. Grin

Collapse -
Same Problem Here
by Faeliox / October 19, 2007 2:21 AM PDT

Hello World.

I can certainly attest to that fact. I'm 15, and the mind set is almost the same. Here, though, my peers know that it's illegal, but do it anyway. Other than the people who's parents buy them iTunes gift cards, most people will go and download the 2.75 Gb music compilations on Bittorrent and call that their music library. I've seen their computers with literally not a single legal peice of music or software that didn't come bundled with it. They even think that a subscription service is too much to bother with. If the RIAA comes after Canada, my school is going to be under quarentine.

Collapse -
Confusing it more...
by Renegade Knight / October 19, 2007 4:47 AM PDT

If they download those songs to a Zune, they have paid a fee that goes to the recording companies becaues they demaned that "since" the Zune can store pirated songs they deserve a fee.

So in that light, some of your friends have in fact actually paid for some of their music. If this payment gives them no rights to music, then they have paid for nothing and that's fraud, or extortion, or rackteering. You would need a lawer to figure it all out.

Anyway, it's a complex issue, that's made more complex by the recording insustry itself.

Collapse -
by FBallrox003 / October 19, 2007 7:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Confusing it more...

If I was to ask my less technology inclined friends about the zune, they wouldn't even know what a Zune or a MP3 player is. To them, iPods play music, nothing else. Just like Steve Job's wants them to think.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?