Laptops forum

General discussion

IFriend NA243rx5 problem with Devo DD-200P

Just put a fresh install of Win XP Pro (SP1, 2002 Version) on the above mentioned laptop (AMD Athlon XP-M 2400+, 256 MB RAM, 30 GB HD), which is brand new.

I have tried connecting the Devo DD-200P external hard drive to each of the 4 USB ports on the laptop, but without success. XP doesn't acknowledge the presence of the drive, as you'd expect. The power light on the drive comes on and the motor gives a repeating on/off whining, very quietly.

The drive works correctly on a desktop with exactly the same OS, also it works on another laptop with XP Home. Also, I've tried a USB mouse on the IFriend without problems.

I've tried to search for the hardware manually without success. I've made sure the USB settings in the BIOS are correct, everything seems to fine. The drive jusst refuses to show up. The laptop is working off mains so I can't see a power problem.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IFriend NA243rx5 problem with Devo DD-200P
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IFriend NA243rx5 problem with Devo DD-200P
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There's your clue.

In reply to: IFriend NA243rx5 problem with Devo DD-200P

Windows XP doesn't supply all needed drivers for such a laptop. Call the vendor and get a DRIVER CD to finish the install of XP.

Bob

Collapse -
Done and Done

In reply to: There's your clue.

Cheers Bob, but I've already installed all the drivers that came with the laptop, most notably the USB 2.0 drivers and 4 in 1 VIA SP.

Any other ideas anyone?

Collapse -
Just a comment.

In reply to: Done and Done

That information was not in your first post. If I read your first post with this new information and have any more ideas besides calling the laptop's support line, I'll post again.

Bob

Collapse -
AHA. BRAND NEW LAPTOP!

I think you are trying to get XP Pro on this machine.

Try this. Use the RESTORE CDS to put XP Home on the machine proper. Now pop in the XP Pro CD and let it upgrade the machine.

A clean install of XP Pro may not be possible without the maker telling you what drivers and procedures to use.

Bob

Collapse -
Hmmmm...

In reply to: AHA. BRAND NEW LAPTOP!

Not quite sure what you're getting at there, although don't get me wrong - all suggestions welcome! :). I have XP Pro fully installed and swinging nicely (apart from the above hitch). I upgraded from a fresh install of Windows Me.

Are you suggesting that XP Home may have the drivers I need, but not XP Pro? Again, because the device works with exactly the same OS version on other machines, I'm left in something of a quandry. As you say, the last resort (tech support) may be needed.

It's not the end of the world, as the external drive was only needed for copying freeware installation files over. (ZoneAlarm, AVG, etc.). The user won't be using that particular drive.

Collapse -
Again, you didn't tell the forum this!!!

In reply to: Hmmmm...

You claimed it was a NEW LAPTOP. Since Windows ME has not been seen on a NEW LAPTOP in over 3 to 4 years, I can only guess that it could have XP Home since that's the version supplied today.

Since you seem to be new at posting for help, here's the forum tip and my comment.

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

Your posts are leaving out all the needed details to tackle your issue. Do so at the risk of getting answers that you find useless.

Bob

Collapse -
About USB drives on USB 1 ports.

Such rarely work. As it stands, I can't find USB 2.0 ports on what web site I read about this laptop.

Fix? Install a PC-CARD USB 2.0 card.

Bob

Collapse -
Apologies...

In reply to: About USB drives on USB 1 ports.

Yes, you are quite right. My bad, sorry. The laptop in question IS new, and does have USB 2.0 ports, as stated below...

http://www.sterlingxs.co.uk/scpages/newlaptops.html

Yes, this is my first post and yes it is flawed, but all I can say is that Windows XP Pro is Windows XP Pro. Does it leave out components depending on what it upgrades from? (Genuine question BTW) The upgrade report gave no problems. I assumed I gave enough information in the original post, I was wrong! Happy Thanks anyway.

Collapse -
Still the oddest thing about Windows ME.

In reply to: Apologies...

That's not a new laptop if it came with Windows ME.

Something is amiss and it could be that it's:::

1. Not USB 2.0
Again, the number of outright scams and lies are outragous...

2. You didn't find the drivers for this laptop but tried the generic VIA drivers and such.

As it stands, my bets are on :

a. Not USB 2.0
b. Not the correct drivers.
c. You used an USB 1 cable.

Bob

Collapse -
My haziness again...

In reply to: Still the oddest thing about Windows ME.

Sorry Bob, but it came with no OS, just a cheaper option. I installed Me first because I had trouble booting from my XP Pro disk. It's slightly off-topic, but I created an Me Boot CD with Nero from an Me boot floppy, then booted into DOS, installed Me, then put XP Pro over the top of Me, using the recommended upgrade. (Phew!). I hope this makes it clearer.

You have been very helpful, and you're idea about USB 1.0 cables sounds like a good bet to me. As indeed does the scam-angle! Will look into it further. Cheers.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.