Speakeasy forum

General discussion

If you weren't trying to insult a woman,

why would you talk about pigs wearing lipstick? There is no kernel of truth. Women, and soccer Moms, wear lip stick. Pigs don't. The phrase simply doesn't make sense unless it is directed at a woman (or women). So, now Obama is trying to explain his remarks.

Once this is over, he will resume running against Palin.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: If you weren't trying to insult a woman,
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: If you weren't trying to insult a woman,
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
why would you talk about pigs wearing lipstick

In reply to: If you weren't trying to insult a woman,

Collapse -
It's an old saying...

In reply to: why would you talk about pigs wearing lipstick

Even if Obama was innocent in saying that (which is very hard for me to believe) isn't it kind of dumb for him and his entire campaign to NOT know what kind of reaction that line would produce?

Not the sharpest tool in the shed, is he?

Collapse -
it's and old saying that

In reply to: It's an old saying...

some don't know what it means...or they just won't admit what it means, twist and shout.

another entry in my journal.

Collapse -
I guess he's no sharper than his opponent

In reply to: It's an old saying...

Collapse -
I just compare reletive class ranks as a guide.

In reply to: I guess he's no sharper than his opponent

It's a good start, anyway.

Dan

Collapse -
Reletive?

In reply to: I just compare reletive class ranks as a guide.

I'm sure there's a point there waiting to emerge.

Collapse -
Reletive. Proportianal?

In reply to: Reletive?

You wouldn't want to compare the #10 ranking of two people if one was graduated from a university with a class of 6000 and the other was in a class of 40.

Well, I wouldn't want to do that anyway.

Dan

Collapse -
Ahhhhhhhhhh! Your comment has something to do

In reply to: Reletive. Proportianal?

with a comparison between being a Mayor and being a community organizer?

I don't know what that has to do with pigs and lipstick, but I guess we could speculate about how many people were organized by Mr. Obama. Did anyone document that? I guess that's what Palin meant about a Mayor actually having some responsibility.

Collapse -
(NT) Umm...No. What post are you replying to?

In reply to: Ahhhhhhhhhh! Your comment has something to do

Collapse -
Relative.....

In reply to: Reletive?

I think his point has something to do with where each of the candidates placed in their classes at university. Not a very reliable indicator of anything, actually.

My premise is that if you say and do stupid things, you might be stupid. Or at least you might not be as smart about some things as you ought to be.

Barack sure seems to be saying and doing some stupid things lately. This was one of them.

Collapse -
Earth calling space.

McCain may have used it referring to Hillary. That is my exact point. Obama was referring to Palin or to women. Trying to say that he wasn't doing so is a lie.

Hellooooooo?

Collapse -
Earth calling Planet KP

In reply to: Earth calling space.

Obama was referring to the new McCain campaign theme that he and Palin are instruments of change. And McCain wasn't referring to Hillary directly; he was referring to her health care plan.

Helloooo back.

Collapse -
Suuuuuure he was!

In reply to: Earth calling Planet KP

That's why he's so busy explaining himself today.

Collapse -
He's so busy explaining himself today...

In reply to: Suuuuuure he was!

....because the hypocrites on the McCain team are trying very hard to create an issue out of something their own candidate has also said. Not responding to crap like this is what did in the Kerry campaign; hopefully Obama's strong and quick response to this is evidence that he's determined not to repeat that mistake.

Collapse -
Hahahaha...

In reply to: He's so busy explaining himself today...

Sorry, the media ran with it. Don't blame Mccain, the ONE got caught out.

Watch that video of the incident. Obama could hardly wait to let taht one out.,. NA dthe audience reacted exactly as he wanted. It was pretty obvious what he was doing. His campaign is one cheap shot after another.

But go ahead, blame someone else.

Collapse -
Note as well....

In reply to: Hahahaha...

Collapse -
.....crickets?....

In reply to: Note as well....

I would have thought more plagiarism from the Obama campaign would draw SOME comment/defense/shame/whatever??

Collapse -
(NT) He's out of range, Josh. Too bad, really.

In reply to: Earth calling Planet KP

Collapse -
At least he's not alone

In reply to: He's out of range, Josh. Too bad, really.

Ed seems to be living in the same alternate reality, so at least they have each other. Happy

Collapse -
Yeah, that made sense....

In reply to: At least he's not alone

-chuckle-

Collapse -
(NT) Good observation.

In reply to: At least he's not alone

Collapse -
Yes...

In reply to: Good observation.

as stupid observations go, it was very good.,

Gold stars for both of you.

Collapse -
And did that cause any outrage?

No. Maybe because he used it correctly, instead of as a cheap shot? It's one of Bill Clinton's favorite sayings too.

But leaving that aside, in view of Palin's lipstick jokle getting wide exposure, it was probably not the smartest thing in the world to make a comment using the word "lipstick" in such a manner. It practically begs to be taken for a smear, even if that isn't what it was.

Dumb dumb dumb.

But hey, keep it up.

Collapse -
(NT) One man's "correctly" is another man's "cheap shot," Ed

In reply to: And did that cause any outrage?

Collapse -
True! You got one right!

In reply to: One man's "correctly" is another man's "cheap shot," Ed

McCain used it correctly,

and Obama used it as a cheap shot.

It's all in the context.

You get a gold star!@

Collapse -
What I notice...

In reply to: why would you talk about pigs wearing lipstick

What I notice is that sometimes the use of a common word or phrase is decried as having "special meaning" to black people and is accused of being an attack on Obama because of his race.
Now, we have a word that has "special meaning" when used towards women but we are not to notice it if Obama used it towards Palin. Unfortunately for Obama, many people noticed.

Collapse -
Hear John MCain use the "lipstick/pig" comment

Collapse -
You didn't get it.

In reply to: Hear John MCain use the "lipstick/pig" comment

The comment was specifically directed at a woman. McCain using the remark with respect to Hillary does not change that. Obama was applying it to Palin.

Collapse -
Riiiight!

In reply to: Hear John MCain use the "lipstick/pig" comment

So you are in effect admitting it is a cheap shot?

Bill Clinton used it too you know.

Collapse -
lipstick on a pig response to a religious question

and a couple more

The idea that His creation has been put on trial is a suggestion only, nothing more, and it is based on the actions of zealots and the backlash they encountered. They want "parity" in public schools in the form of the teaching of creationism as an alternative to the teaching of evolution. And they (the zealots) are attempting an end run around Constitutional constraints regarding the mixing of the affairs of church and state. They are putting forward the idea of Intelligent Design and attempting to pass if off as something that is not an extension of religious creationism. Their deceit was so clearly seen for what it is. And instead of being humbled for "bearing false witness" they are outraged. Anyone who puts lipstick on a pig and attempts to pass it off as a debutante - and gets caught - should be ashamed instead of angry.

A term used by many, generally in reference to someone who may be trying to make something or someone look appealing or attractive when it quite clearly will not work, or will only deceive the dumbest of people.

Car salesmen are generally good at "putting lipstick on a pig" because they are always selling unroadworthy buckets of ???? and try and hide their xxxxxx by tarting them up.

The dude in that car yard just put a body kit on that piece of ????. Talk about putting lipstick on a pig

lipstick on a pig. slang for when someone tries to dress something up, but is
still that something.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.