The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

If you were Steve Wozniak, would you admit this?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 17, 2012 8:02 AM PST

(Read blog here: Woz concedes Android advantages over iPhone)

If you were Wozniak, would you have admitted that Android phones have
advantages over the iPhone?

-- Heck no! (Why not?)
-- I would've done the same. (Why are you so certain?)
-- I don't know. (What's holding you back?)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: If you were Steve Wozniak, would you admit this?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: If you were Steve Wozniak, would you admit this?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There was a famous case
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 18, 2012 9:11 PM PST

here in the UK in the 90's

A respected and successful chain store selling jewellery went bust when the owner of the business said in a news interview that the jewellery he sold was rubbish.

The crash came very quickly after his remarks and all his stores closed down.

Hopefully Wozniak's remarks won't cause the same effect. Happy

Collapse -
Woz needs 2 know marketing/hype as much as the Jobs knew it!
by oakland1000 / January 24, 2012 1:56 AM PST

I also hope the Woz didn't put his foot in his mouth, too. But, the iphone is so good that I doubt that Woz's comment will be taken seriously, even if true.
But, he should be careful as we do know what has happened to RIM Blackberry when something new comes along, dont we Woz!? .

Collapse -
re Famous case
by dropsicle / January 24, 2012 8:22 AM PST

Woz did not say his product was junk!! You've got your apples and oranges muddled. No offense.

Collapse -
May be so
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 24, 2012 8:30 AM PST
In reply to: re Famous case

but investors and shareholders are always skitty about off the cuff remarks.

But I think he got away with this one. At least I haven't seen any bad reaction to it in the markets.

Collapse -
Remember that Honesty is always the best policy.
by hokester / January 24, 2012 10:54 AM PST

What you sow is what you reap. Sow Honesty and get it in return.

Collapse -
What I thought was interesting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2012 4:01 AM PST

Was no mention of the "other" phone operating systems.

Windows Phone is now in its "Hail Mary" phase praying for the consumers to show up.
RIM had a few too many network outages and never caught on that folk might have reacted better to "Oops, we're working to fix that." Instead the message was unclear and many users appear to be going elsewhere.

The Android does have some upside but as I look at fielding our first app, I worry about fragmentation effects.

Collapse -
Windows Phone and Android
by marikavs / January 24, 2012 3:00 AM PST

Speaking of which, a friend of mine told me she thought Android was (from) Microsoft. I suppose she can be forgiven, her son-in-law has an iPhone, but it shows what some people "know." Something else to worry about...

Collapse -
Since there are royalties paid to Microsoft,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2012 3:11 AM PST

There's actually some truth to that.

Collapse -
Android is flaky
by TheRealJoeSchmoe / January 24, 2012 2:15 AM PST

Android is such a flaky piece of junk, I can't believe anybody uses it. When are people going to start talking about Microsoft tablets??? How long are people going to tolerate such garbage?

Collapse -
I don't know because
by marikavs / January 24, 2012 2:49 AM PST

I don't own an iPhone, nor an Android phone. That said, I just received (a gift) a Kindle Fire (supposedly based on Android) which seems to be working fine except for not responding at all a lot of times when I tap on it. I'm thinking it has something to do with my fingers being cold, and big, so I've purchased a stylus for it. If I were "the Woz" and I really thought Android had advantages over iOS, of course I would say so. He's got nothing to lose by doing so and it shows him in a good light.

Collapse -
What advantages??
by Dumbpeni / January 24, 2012 2:57 AM PST

I have a boostmobile with Android OS on a daily unlimited subscription.. The catch is that I cannot choose which day to use but at least on any five consecutive days at $2 a day. I must make a minimum of $10 boost payments .. If I make a $50 boost payment, I will be stuck with 25 consecutive days whether I need it or not. I tried to persuade Sprint to allow me to choose any day I want to use my boostmobile as long as I make a minimum requirment per quarter which is fine with me.. I am crossing my fingers that the marketing team will consider my proposal and make changes to the terms and conditions under Day Unlimited Plans.. I dont use my boostmobile everyday.. see?

Collapse -
I hope I would have done the same
by sea.bass / January 24, 2012 3:25 AM PST

Shows a big heart, courage, and the confidence in his own product to allow that he hasn't got it all right and that others can have good ideas too. That paves the way for fruitful competition and benefits for the consumer.

In my working life nothing turned me off more than those blaggers who would never admit the opposition had anything good, or that they (the blaggers) had not made any mistakes or didn't have the best solution. But the sad thing is that more often than not the blaggers got a lot of respect and success even from people who could see through them. Especially, of course, from their colleagues.

I hope I would have the same sterling qualities as Wozniak - but he is exceptional so there'd be no disgrace in not matching him.

Collapse -
by cbsimkins / January 24, 2012 4:01 AM PST

You learn from your mistakes, not from your successes. Apple can learn from Android and visa versa. So Woz is correctly observing what happened and what needs to happen. Apple did not necessarily make a mistake, but the market changed as well. Now it is time to review your understanding of the market and modify your business plan. We don't use IBM 360 computers any more, nor Apple 2 computers. We learn from what happened and unless everybody is wrong in loving their particular machine, there are things that we all like about Apple and others.

Collapse -
Woz is Right
by ESUNintel / January 24, 2012 4:08 AM PST

As an iPhone and iPad owner, I do admit Wozniak is right. Overall, I am very happy with iOS, but there are things Android phone/tablets can do, that iOS can't - and I mean both hardware and software wise.

Both top mobile Operating Systems need to look out for Windows Phone 7.5; it's not huge now, but it is the OS that's different and has the most potential for growth.

Collapse -
by charlie7290 / January 24, 2012 6:57 AM PST

At least he is giving credit where it is due.
Well done Steve.
A rare thing these days

Collapse -
Truth Better for Marketing than Avoidance
by dropsicle / January 24, 2012 8:19 AM PST

It's much easier to trust someone who speaks the truth as he/she sees it. Your claims of superiority in other areas are much more believable. Pretty good marketing policy.

Collapse -
by jimjutte / January 24, 2012 11:16 AM PST

I said I would have done the same simply due to credibility. No one is perfect and clearly there is a group of people who decided a long time ago that apple products don't suit them as well as android product. I'm one of them. My daughter on the other hand can't live without them. Some of the "advantages" may be irrelevant to some users and therefore Android is not a product for them, on the other hand the reverse is true.

If you go about suggesting your product is the best based on features that don't exist on your platform or bugs that don't exist on your competitors, in a world of social networking, you will inevitably go down in flames. I think Woz understands that well and is willing to say, we see the advantages and we will be working to correct/improve...

Collapse -
What he didn't say.
by dw0rkin / January 24, 2012 11:17 AM PST

Woz may feel confident in making a statement like that because he may have a product up his sleeve to turn the tables.

Collapse -
Good on you Steve................
by liamok77 / January 24, 2012 12:10 PM PST

Steve is a real man and this is what real men do, say it as you think & feel.....after all this is techno stuff not politics thank God....................... Cool

Collapse -
Good policy.
by Louis2107 / January 24, 2012 4:41 PM PST

Admitting keeps the Apple-worker on their toes.
That way they will keep developing the apple software to top condition.
It's good bussiness tactics and policy to aknowledge the competition to the full.

Collapse -
Is it a case of misquote
by drthanvi / January 24, 2012 5:32 PM PST

I think that this could be a case of misinterpretation or misquote.
As of now iOS is far superior than Android (I am not a fan boy. I use Galaxy Note running Android Gingerbread).
Probable advantage that Steve Wozniak might wanted to convey is Availablity of Android across various hardware options.

Collapse -
He's an Engineer not a salesman or marketer
by bcw142 / January 24, 2012 8:35 PM PST

Yes. He's an Engineer not a salesman or marketer. Android came after and so tried to make it easier and better now that a market existed. Engineering tends to be fact based, marketing more about hype.

Collapse -
Honesty buys a descriminating and discerning public.
by donstalzer6 / January 25, 2012 12:59 AM PST

Would you rather watch and buy from a "company stooge"? I never would wait in line to buy the next 'hot' thing. Things 'get fixed' and prices get reduced by competition. When a principal official of a company admits a competition advantage, you know the next time he suffers to make his offering better and likely more reliable to the vast majority of buyers.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?