Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

If you're unable to browse to Antivirus or Microsoft sites (MyDoom.B side effect), use the following procedure

by Marianna Schmudlach / January 30, 2004 2:40 PM PST

Big THANKS to Cetin!

A potential symptom of infection with the MyDoom.B Virus is that you are you unable to visit your Antivirus vendors website or various Microsoft websites such as support.microsoft.com or windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

If you are experiencing these symptoms use the following procedure in order to be enable accessing these websites. Click Start, Run and type cmd and press Enter.

Under Command Prompt, ype the following commands and press Enter after each:

copy %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.old

del /F %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

echo # Temporary HOSTS file >%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

attrib +R %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

If you're running windows NT, you must restart.

For Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows 2003, restart isn't needed. In addition, you must type the following command:

ipconfig /flushdns

Note

For windows 9x/Me, click Start, Run type command and press Enter. Under Command Prompt type the following commands and press Enter after each. Restart isn't needed.

ren %windir%\hosts host.old

echo # Temporary HOSTS file >%windir%\hosts

attrib +R %windir%\hosts

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: If you're unable to browse to Antivirus or Microsoft sites (MyDoom.B side effect), use the following procedure
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: If you're unable to browse to Antivirus or Microsoft sites (MyDoom.B side effect), use the following procedure
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:If you're unable to browse to Antivirus or Microsoft sites (MyDoom.B side effect), use the following procedure

My sister is having this problem. Is the My Doom virus the same as the Blaster Virus? She has had a problem for 2 days now. She is running Windows XP and she cannot get to Microsoft or Symantec. She is infected by the Blaster Worm. If I'm not mistaken you said something about hitting enter after your prompts in your message, we're you talking about after each line. Neither one of us are computer wizards, so I have another question. Will she have any problem fixing this. Also she has un-installed and re-installed the Norton Anti-Virus numerous times and she cannot get into the live update. Will she still be protected if she can't get the live update? How would she have got this worm. She just had her system upgraded to Windows XP, she had Millineum, brought her computer home to put Norton back in and that's when everything went wrong. I don't know if she was on the net before she installed it or what. PLEASE we need some big time help. Thanks.

Collapse -
Re:Re:If you're unable to browse to Antivirus or Microsoft sites (MyDoom.B side effect), use the following procedure

No, MyDoom and Blaster are different:

Here is a write-up of Blaster:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

Her is a removal tool for Blaster: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

Here is a write-up of MyDoom:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.novarg.a@mm.html

Here is a removal tool: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.novarg.a@mm.removal.tool.html

What You Should Know About the Mydoom Worm Variants: Mydoom.A and Mydoom.B
http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/mydoom.asp

There are problems with NAV Live-Update !!

Which error do you get??
Have a look here: http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/nav/nav_2003_info_solve_lu.html

Pls. let us know how it goes.

Collapse -
Re:If you're unable to browse to Antivirus or Microsoft sites (MyDoom.B side effect), use the following procedure

Can you use the above commands if you have the blaster worm and it is keeping you out of Microsoft and Norton or do you have to use something else. I know you said this is for My Doom, but I thought that I would ask anyway.

Collapse -
Nope, NOT for Blaster

Sorry, I am a "bit" late with replying.Had to ask Cetin as he was so kind to provide the information !

In order to get rid of MSBlast, the simple steps are (one approach):

Disconnect the problem PC from Internet.
Download a MSBlast removal tool (use another clean PC) from an Antivirus vendor (Symantec, McAfee, etc.). One can transfer it to the floppy or CDR, etc. and launch it on the problem PC.
3. Install a Firewall on the problem PC.
4. Go to Windows Updates and download and install security updates.

Update AV definitions and perform a full scan for viruses.

The above steps are for the case when there are no further incidents and obviously cover an end user perspective (vs. networked PCs inside a company).

Even the procedure seems simple, could be incidents. For example, at step 4 one can get cryptographic errors and can't go further. Also, even after 1-5 successfully steps one can't acess AV updates for other reasons than the MSBlast (example: AV package bugs in automatic procedures).

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Re:Nope, NOT for Blaster
by unicorn / February 2, 2004 5:25 AM PST
In reply to: Nope, NOT for Blaster

Want to thank you for all your help. We still don't have it fixed. She has tried the blaster tool from symantec and she still cannot get to Microsoft or Symantec to get the updates. It is still in her computer. I don't know if we are doing the step by step thing wrong or what, but something is not being done right. Appreciate your help. Thanks for trying.

Collapse -
Try this
by Marianna Schmudlach / February 2, 2004 5:47 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:Try this
by unicorn / February 5, 2004 12:11 PM PST
In reply to: Try this

Thank you for your help Marianna. She got the Blaster worm out but she had to have some one do it for her.

Collapse -
(NT) Unicorn - Thanks for The Update !
by Marianna Schmudlach / February 5, 2004 2:31 PM PST
In reply to: Re:Try this

Collapse -
unable to connect to any antivirus or microsoft websites

actually i do not know what happen but it begin about 3 months ago when i cannot launch my bitdefender antivirus. i ignore this and try to download new antivirus but when i try to open those antivirus websites, it did not connect.it says server not found, try again. about 1 months later i tried to open microsoft website, but once again i failed. i had try to use your command input susupecting it maybe mydoom or something but still it did not work.

Collapse -
This thread is 5 and a half years old
by roddy32 / September 9, 2009 11:27 AM PDT

and things have changed since then. Please start your own new thread for your problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.