Speakeasy forum

General discussion

If you could go back...

by Willy / January 14, 2009 11:27 PM PST

In a place or time and/or event or meet a person, what would it be? i exclude any of your family or true personal history.

I always wanted to meet Ben Franklin and rap abit. Also, wanted to see the Dead Sea parted by Moses. There are others but these come to mind.

any comments -----Willy Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: If you could go back...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: If you could go back...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I know this may sound weird...
by Josh K / January 14, 2009 11:34 PM PST

....but I'd like to talk to Lee Harvey Oswald and find out what really happened.

Another interesting choice might be Jesus. Getting the straight story from him might ruffle a few billion feathers though. Wink

Collapse -
What really happened.
by EdHannigan / January 15, 2009 12:17 AM PST

He shot the President from a building. No mystery. I sure wouldn't waste a visit to the past on the likes of him.

Washington or Jefferson perhaps. Or maybe Lincoln.

Or Catherine the Great.

Too many historical people to name. Can we speak their language when we go back? I'd hate to meet DaVinci and not be able to understand what he says.

Collapse -
Jesus:
by drpruner / January 15, 2009 12:32 AM PST

"Say, have you done any time travel?"
"No, I read the book."

Happy

Collapse -
The late Alfred Bester wrote a short story
by drpruner / January 15, 2009 12:38 AM PST

about time travel. Very sensible it was, too. Think twice about going, if offered. Happy

Collapse -
Do you mean...
by J. Vega / January 15, 2009 1:49 AM PST

Do you mean "The Men Who Murdered Mohammed"? He got a Hugo award for it.

Collapse -
No, I think that was had some humor, and
by drpruner / January 15, 2009 2:05 AM PST
In reply to: Do you mean...

involved the well-known paradoxes.
This one was serious and very perceptive about the problems, which are quite ordinary:

'I'd like to go back to the Renaissance and mingle with Elizabeth and her court. I could amaze them with my knowledge.'
'No, you'd likely be executed for witchcraft. And how could you talk to Shakespeare when his dialect is all but unintelligible to you?'
And so on.

Collapse -
Different author...
by J. Vega / January 15, 2009 2:21 AM PST

A fun book dealing with time travel problems but not paradoxes was Lest Darkness Fall by L. Sprague De Camp. The main character goes back to Roman empire times. One of his money making ideas is to introduce the printing press but one of Murphy's Laws takes over - the one that goes roughly for my major project, first another project must be completed, equal to or greater than the original project.

Collapse -
Twilight Zone episode
by Willy / January 15, 2009 4:40 AM PST
In reply to: Different author...

I believe a similar premise was done along those lines. A guy got back to buy property because he knew it would be valuable later. Then started to contact local blacksmiths and craftsman to make this or that, but had no idea how to. It was too early yet because they all relied on one invention after another in order to get a place in time where they become possible. Of course, the guy fails and becomes a janitor though with smart ideas but no way to flesh them out. -----Willy

Collapse -
One like that with a happy ending is the guy
by drpruner / January 15, 2009 2:01 PM PST
In reply to: Twilight Zone episode

who invested a few pennies in a concern that he knew would be around centuries later. (Rothschilds banking or some such.) When he 'got back' he was a gazillionaire.

I just remembered another point Bester made: We're almost always happier in our own times, the "devil we know". A recurring character in the story was a man who wandered in and out, asking in broken English for "help to go home" - to Hiroshima in 1945!

Collapse -
(NT) Exactly. Bester's man hadn't thought of that either.
by drpruner / January 15, 2009 1:56 PM PST
In reply to: Different author...
Collapse -
well....if you do manage to go back
by jonah jones / January 15, 2009 2:41 AM PST

on the way you might change the name of the Dead sea to the Red sea

Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.