E-readers forum

General discussion

If there are $100 9.7'' basic e-reader, will you buy it ?

by Baicalin / December 4, 2014 9:43 PM PST

Literally, I think currently e-readers have insane price. especially in over 9.7 inch. I'm sure useless functions make device expansive. So I am preparing to make basic e reader (only can support PDF viewing ) as $100. How do you think about this ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: If there are $100 9.7'' basic e-reader, will you buy it ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: If there are $100 9.7'' basic e-reader, will you buy it ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Amazon has this already.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2014 3:34 AM PST

Given the gorilla already offers such, there may be some new to the business that think it's all about price. Without an eco-system and more, well, I've been to Taiwan and there are many sources for this at this price. So nothing new going on here.

I think that it's a done deal but many won't have the millions to pull it off. Even Barnes and Noble and the Microsoft folk had to call it quits. That deal failed for reasons other than the e-reader price.
Bob

Collapse -
I agree
by Baicalin / December 5, 2014 8:59 AM PST

Yeah, I agree, but I have already solution for such reason - even $100 each, It's expansive -.I just asking some kind of e reader usage pattern. Is $100 e ink PDF viewer attractive for personal user ? If the device doesn't support any e-book form, Is it enough valuable just to supporting simple PDF format ?

Collapse -
No. Without the ecosystem it's just another 100 or under tab
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2014 9:02 AM PST
In reply to: I agree

And now, this very moment I can get such things for 59 bucks. But I won't buy one and any company that thinks it can enter the market on price alone, well, they will learn that lesson if they choose to ignore those that went before them.

It's not about price alone.
Bob

Collapse -
Ecosystem ?
by Baicalin / December 5, 2014 9:16 AM PST

Why the ecosystem is important ? Just gathering other massive demand isn't enough to entering market ? and you said you can get the device as 59 bucks, Which 9.7 inch e ink device is 59 bucks ?

Collapse -
These come and go.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2014 9:27 AM PST
In reply to: Ecosystem ?

I see them on Woot and E-ink is not something folk I know are interested in. I guess if you want to take a run at that again, go right ahead but without books on par with Amazon you'll be without much more than your grand idea.

I take it you are going to ignore those that went down this road? Why not do it and prove that it can be done.

Right now the Kindle e ink is 79 bucks. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I15SB16/ref=topnav_storetab_kinh So what if you shave 20 bucks off that.

So let's just ask. Is that your price you think you need to dislodge Amazon?
Bob

Collapse -
6''inch is too samall
by Baicalin / December 5, 2014 9:42 AM PST
In reply to: These come and go.

to view full PDF, I want 9.7 inch e ink device to reading article, paper, document and sometimes reading book. Why you compare with kindle ? You shouldn't compare different device like 7 inch tablet and 9.7 inch tablet. It has different usage. Does 6.7'' kindle proper to read full PDF documents ? Obviously not.

Collapse -
(NT) Typo
by Baicalin / December 5, 2014 9:47 AM PST
In reply to: 6''inch is too samall
Collapse -
There you go.
by Oldartq / December 5, 2014 10:04 AM PST
In reply to: 6''inch is too samall

You have to compare apple to apple and if it's the same then I will pay the $100. Without all the specifications, I am not willing to pay anything.

Collapse -
You need a refresher on the economics involved and...
by Pepe7 / December 5, 2014 9:31 AM PST
In reply to: Ecosystem ?

...what the market expects at a specific price point. Ecosystem *is* a critical component, or at the very least, amazing hardware performance. You won't get that from your $59 tablet.

I'd be curious in knowing what actual research you have put forth thus far. I'm all ears.

Collapse -
I'm talking about e-ink device !
by Baicalin / December 5, 2014 12:40 PM PST

If the device has e -ink It isn't attractive?

Collapse -
I thought there are lots of e-ink devices...
by Oldartq / December 5, 2014 11:34 PM PST

out in the market place already. So if your product is just as good but cost less, naturally MOST people will buy the less expensive one. I am one of those type.

Collapse -
It's not just price
by Baicalin / December 6, 2014 1:08 AM PST

I'm currently fund for it and I explain what is it. in indiegogo paperS

Collapse -
You are fooling yourself if you think there's demand
by Pepe7 / December 6, 2014 4:35 AM PST
In reply to: It's not just price

While it's obviously a useful product for some, the demand simply is not there. The academics/researchers who truly need to view detailed PDFs already do so on their adequately apportioned laptops or desktop monitors, which they already use daily for the multiple other tasks hinted at in this thread (and elsewhere, if you followed the discussions). Even for <$100 it won't sell since it will be stripped down and doesn't do enough/lacks the horsepower of what is already commonplace.

Where are you sourcing parts to keep this rig you intend on (presumably, supporting too with a warranty) producing? Crowdsourcing the funding isn't enough, unfortunately.

Collapse -
Re: ereader
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 6, 2014 4:55 AM PST

If you search amazon.com for ereaders, you'll find a lot of 6" devices and only6 9.5 to 10" devices, varying from 220 to even 649 USD. So a 9" device for $100 with a limited functionality (view non-color, non-protected pdf's) seems something new indeed. But I agree that few people would buy it, since an Android tablet can do that also (and much more) for not much more money.

Kees

Collapse -
You have to admit it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2014 4:56 AM PST
In reply to: It's not just price

You can travel to Taipei and walk around the usual companies that have such up and running now. I hear there's such in Korea as well. But that's not the really bad news. Without the ecosystem it's dead.

You claim that under 9.7 is too small but paper back books are smaller than that! I can't guess where you are doing your research but I guess this is a fine way to burn the lessons of the past home.
Bob

Collapse -
E-ink is better
by maximka11 / February 8, 2015 4:41 AM PST

As all the doctors say, that the e-book with e-ink is better for our eyesight, but unfortunatelly such devises are a bit expensive. But nevetheless I prefer even such book, because your eyes aren't tired during reading.

Collapse -
Where is he?
by SergioNova / February 9, 2015 8:47 PM PST
In reply to: E-ink is better

It vseems the author has vanished.

Collapse -
The OP was apparently fishing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2015 12:08 AM PST
In reply to: Where is he?

Or feeling out the market for such a thing.

Last week I see more under 50 buck tablets have hit the market. Some double up as an unlocked 7 inch cell phone. 100 bucks was the target for 2014. It looks like half that for 2015.
Bob

Collapse -
Only PDF
by SergioNova / December 31, 2014 8:15 AM PST

How much would you increase the price if you have to make it able to read cbr, cbz end epub?
Bigger screens are interesting to read comics and magazines in general, and having to convert them is not exactly comfortable.
At the same time, there are lots of free epub ebooks available on the web, and an e-reader unable to read cbr, cbz and epub is as useless to me as a Kindle. Actually, I use a Kobo GLO, where the pdf experience is suffering, but I am not exactly a fan of pdf, anyway. Kobo goes well, but it would go even better if it had a bigger screen.

If you offer a 9.7in e-reader that works with epub, cbr and cbz for, let's say, US$200, you will certainly have buyers all around the world. If it can even read pdf decently, it will be fabulous. And if you can make even bigger screens at fair prices... Wow! Include me in your mail list.

Collapse -
If there are $100 9.7'' basic e-reader, will you buy it ?

There are plenty of cheap Chinese tablets that would probably be fine for reading pdfs under $100.
If you mean eink ereaders, then I am not sure why you would choose pdf... That's my most despised format for reading on an ereader. Not to mention that $100 is too much for a simple device that can only display pdf files.

Collapse -
The Resolution
by sano73 / December 7, 2016 6:39 AM PST

I've purchased eSlick (6 inch) and later Kindle Dx (9.7), and I paid well for that, but I've discovered that I can read on my galaxy 5 inch in a better way that both of them, so, I searched the internet for the specifications of those three devices, because I thought it is just the larger screen is the better reading experience, but what I learned that e ink devices provide a limited resolution which make them not that much clear and easy for reading.

I concluded that I waste my money for the dream of giving up paper books, so, it does not matter whether I spend 100 bucks or even 700 bucks while I get bad resolution, that is the trick there.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?