The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

If the technology existed to track your movements...

If the technology existed to track your movements around the globe, what would your biggest concern be?

privacy
battery life/power source
reliability
cost
other

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: If the technology existed to track your movements...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: If the technology existed to track your movements...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Seniors

In reply to: If the technology existed to track your movements...

My concern would be for seniors. Tracking their lack of movement would make them prime targets for tracking by the wrong people. They would be sitting ducks and the most vulnerable cell users.

Collapse -
Emergency tracker

In reply to: Seniors

My concern other than the cost of cellphone would be reliability.
It is a great addition to any cellphone if it can be counted on
to locate a person in Emergency situations.
Privacy would be my second concern, I know if you are innocent you'v
got nothing to worry about,....as long as Big brother knows every word
you say. Lets face-it,...there are real bad guys out there since the
Oaklahoma Mura building and the second Bombing of the trade towers.If
it can locate the bad guys ...what's wrong with that.Heck if they want
to listen to my rambellings it's ok with me.Just remember,not to say
anything incriminating...and yar good to go...Got-it!!

Collapse -
Just because...

In reply to: Emergency tracker

someone wants privacy doesn't automatically make them a criminal or a terrorist!

Zero privacy equals ZERO freedom! The terrorist attacks have already succeeded in a way since some are willing to give up freedoms our fore Father's DIED to protect!

Collapse -
Privacy and freedom

In reply to: Just because...

I have news for you people who think that you have any privacy and freedom left. Each time that we vote for one incompetent representative just because they have enough money to spend on advertisements we give our privacy away on a silver platter. Also each time we let the big companies to tell us what it is that we are interested in so much that some people are willing to kill for it we give our freedom away. It does not matter how many people die everyday to preserve this freedom and privacy.

Collapse -
seniors

In reply to: Seniors

Lee, I'm hoping your concern for seniors was done in humor. My fear would be the misuse and abuse by the government.

Collapse -
Privacy Privacy Privacy

Big Brother is watching you!

'nuff said!

Collapse -
Amended response

In reply to: Privacy Privacy Privacy

My response is pretty much the same except one big exception.

Make the technology such that it must be user activated. I was originally thinking I'd be 100% against this, but on second thought, there needs to be a type of 'hazard' switch that can be activated in the event of distress or emergency.

Collapse -
Turn it off or on

In reply to: Amended response

Maybe I am a bit parinoid but how would we know if it really turrns off?

Collapse -
Privacy

In reply to: Turn it off or on

My thoughts exactly. To think I'm being "tracked" is a bit too "1984" for me. Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!!!

Privacy should be our #1 concern. Realistically, private citizens have very little privacy left anyway. Retailers are intent upon inserting tracking widgets (RFID's?) into their products already. Pretty spooky. Municipalities are installing video cameras everywhere now to "protect" us. Of course,video cameras used judiciously are of tremendous benefit. This benefit comes with the risk of being spied upon constantly. We can become lulled by a false sense of security and become complacent to these constant erosions of our privacy. This insidious removal of our hard-fought freedoms and the right to privacy is quite threatening. Sadly, but predictably, this attack is coming from our own government as our freedoms and rights wither under the fear of hyperbole, political correctness and courts which interpret the law rather than uphold it.

Collapse -
Know there is a good idea.

In reply to: Amended response

The idea of a hazard or emergence button is a good idea, but know tracking devices.

Collapse -
Technology tracking your movements

We don't need big brother! I used to work for a large company that was talking about puting a chip on our ID cards to track us around the building. It obviously wasn't just for tracking around the building. I always carried my badge in the car so I wouldn't forget it, so my response was, "If that is what they want to do, when I get home, that badge gets left at home. They are not going to track where I go."

Collapse -
no good can come of this

Ok, well that may be an overstatement. Being able to activate a tracking device in a cell phone in a potentially life threatening situation wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. But I'm not a fan of anyone listening to my cell phone conversations or knowing exactly where I go and when... Its not a matter of whether what I'm doing is legal or illegal. Most likely I'm not plotting to overthrow the government. I just happen to think that a private conversation between me and someone else is just that: private. And as for where I go and how pathetically much time I sit in front of a computer, its not the government or anyone else's business. In addition I really don't want to see big business getting hold of the technology and starting to target advertising at me depending on where I've been. I get enough ads already.

Collapse -
tracking

Gosh, we can be tracked to some exent now. Privacy doesn't worry me for two reasons:Firstly, what can be an issue? That your using the washing facilities!!!! come on whats the big deal (i'm sure most people are not hiding); Secondly, who has got the time to monitor the tracking of everybody.

Now I can see it has some tremendous advantages: besides not getting lost or your kids lost, there is the advantage of being able to be located in an emergency. Of course if your 007 or similar or have criminal intent there maybe a problem.

Collapse -
Your response assumes benign government/authority

In reply to: tracking

Like so many good, law abiding people you assume you have nothing to fear from sacrificing privacy because you are, precisely, good and law abiding. There are two things I suggest you think about...
- what is the definition of "good and law abiding"? For example - imagine you wished, with what you saw as good cause, to protest about a proposed law - for example the recent attempt to pass a law that would have allowed AT&T etc to control internet access. Imagine that the tracking technologies were in use (they exist already!) and so the police were able to use them to monitor and thus control the assembling of protesters in, let's say, Washington. Would you now consider that your privacy and and freedom were not being violated?
- how would Pol Pot, Hitler, Stalin, the CIA during the anti-Vietnam era, maybe now during what could become the anti-Iraq war era, or to make and anachronistic example, the British during the War of independence - have taken advantage of such things?
My point is that the best way to prevent abuse of power, authority and the tools of repression is to make sure they are never put in place. To stand a common argument on its head - a government that has no malign intent is losing nothing by not having them, so it can manage without. That may mean we all live with some risk, but I for one will happily trade that risk for the alternatives - particularly since history shows them to more common that most realise!

Collapse -
Way to little to late!

In reply to: Your response assumes benign government/authority

Big Brother been watching long before any of us where aware of it! some folks are just waking up to it now with media putting there spin on it, every chicken little that was ever born has come out of the woodwork to scream about his privacy that he never had in the first place!!!

Thank about this how they going use all this information that is going around world 24 hours day seven days week to use against us if they can not even find Osma Bin Laudin???

Collapse -
There are already devices that can track our kids.

In reply to: tracking

There are already devices that can track our kids (including single purpose cell phones), but we adults do not be tracked!

Collapse -
Fascism Is Deadlier Than Any Possible Emergency

When I was a kid growing up on my dad's cattle ranch, every cow had a metal tag clipped in his ear - in bright yellow with his number stamped on it in big black digits.

I am not livestock, and neither is anyone else reading this.

Is this a trick question? Technology *already* exists to track our movements around the globe - it's just that so far we've succeeded in rightly forbidding governments from...transforming us into livestock.

The fact that this crap won't just die - this talk of GPS in cellphones and in cars, of ID chip implants and "national ID cards," etc. - is an indication that those who derive a kind of quasi-sexual charge out of controlling the lives of others, aren't likely to abandon their fetish any time soon.

Which means that we who yet value our rights and freedoms have to be endlessly vigilant in defending those fundamental human rights - that's: human rights, not bovine subservience. We must employ the most rigorous critical analysis of every seductive excuse trotted out as a rationale for our bovination.

The best starting point of any such defense is a simple question, one I've gotten into the habit of asking every time I hear some Dolores-Umbridge-wannabe propose some new political assault on our liberties:

"What, specifically, makes this 'necessary' today, when it was not 'necessary' ten years ago - or twenty, or fifty, or one hundred?"

Humanity has managed to survive with all assorted bumps and bruises for millennia without being tagged and kept in the government stockyard - so what makes it A-OK *now*...specifically?

Burn that general query into your brain and get in the habit of asking it constantly in the political arena - loudly and proudly. And study the history of political regimes that immediately preceded dictatorships - Weimar Germany, Czarist Russia, etc. - and take note not only of the various mechanisms that were later used to enslave, then slaughter people, but more importantly: note what arguments and rationales were presented to convince people to swallow those deadly hooks.

So... my biggest concern? Well, that would depend on the specific form the high-tech eartag took: If it were embedded into my phone, the concern would be the inconvenience level involved with forgoing permanently the use of anything but land lines; if it were an ID chip, the concern would be which cutting tool would be best for digging it out of my body, also what liquor would make the best anaesthetic; if it were so-called "black boxes" in cars, the concern would be locating the cheapest hacker to disable it, or the best place to buy a pre-Orwellian vehicle.

Those kinds of things.

Does that about cover it?

Collapse -
I could not agree more!

In reply to: Fascism Is Deadlier Than Any Possible Emergency

The slow, but steady, infiltration of devices to track your presence, purchases, buying habits, etc. have increased more than 100 fold in the last year. There are now RFID (Radio Frequency IDentification) tags in your Credit Cards (Easily tracked by hackers) toothbrushes, razors (Gilette), auto tires (Michelin), and 100's of other consumer products and Identification cards.

If you own a recent GM car with On-Star, whether you subscribe to it or not, On-Star is watching you! They know your mileage, where you've been, your engine status, how fast you've been driving, how much gas you have in the tank and much more. GM says that you cannot order a car without it and will refuse to tell you how to disble it. Simple, just cut the antenna cable and be done with it! If you are happy with this, and they are betting that you will be, you get what you deserve - buyer beware!

The State of California and the State of Oregon are testing a program to charge you taxes by the mile instead of by the gallon. The folks who have high mpg cars will get shafted. If you don't pay your taxes (in the future) at the pump, your car won't start... Think this is Sci-Fi? No way! It's happening today.

Am I totally against this technology? No, as long as the consumer is made completely aware that these devices are being used and labeled as such, or if someone actually WANT's it! If you send an e-mail to Gilette asking them if your razor has an RFID tag, they will never answer you. If you call your credit card company and ask about RFID, they will not know what you are talking about, only upper management knows.

Your credit cards are fair game for hackers, totally without your knowledge and your cards can be read up to 50 feet away from you.

A simple shield with protect you from this (www.norftags.com) and take a look at www.spychips.com for in-depth info - it will bother you!

All technology has very useful purposes when managed properly and full disclosure is supplied. The manufacturers will never voluntarily tell you this information.

Collapse -
You can be tracked via some very innocent things!

In reply to: I could not agree more!

See this slightly chilling item on how easy it was to set up tracking of individuals via Nike+iPod Sport Kit. The (currently) "free" world needs some strong legislation on this sort of thing very quickly before it gets out of hand - but then perhaps it already has???
http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/systems/privacy.html

Collapse -
What technology gives, it can remove!

In reply to: I could not agree more!

See this link for research into a personal device to let you manage whether RFID chips you are carrying can be read and accessed by others!
Nice idea - could be a business opportunity!
http://www.rfidguardian.org/

Collapse -
I agree wholeheartedly.

Monty Python did a skit once about "Neutron Man" If you get a chance you should check it out. Vaguely reminiscent of the hunt for Osama Bin Laden. We have all the ingredients for a fascist state in place the only hope that might be on the horizon is that the Democrats have taken control of both houses of congress (unless Lieberman goes to the right like I expect he'll do). Even still as you noted history will show time and time again that fascism is a way of maintaining power at the cost of anyone who questions their authority. To sum up I guess that I have to ask where is all this leading twoards. Are we headed twoard a fascist state? Or are we headed back twoards a Democracy. If corporate America had their way we'd all be "branded and tagged"...who's going to protect us against that?

Collapse -
Your right

I would be worried about the wife as well

Collapse -
Privacy Parinoia

What are you guys hiding?? We are discussing ways to find lost people.
That cell phone you carry so proudly can probably be tracked already in any metro area. If it could be equipped to send out a distress signal at the consumers request well why not. Even its weak signal might be enough to allow a rescue plane to find it in a remote area.

Wow you young folks worry to much about losing your rights to our government and not enough about losing them to real enemies such as radical islamic yo yo's!

Collapse -
It is one thing to find the lost and another for thing ....

In reply to: Privacy Parinoia

It is one thing to find the lost and another for thing to track. As another poster said have an emergence button.

Collapse -
Read a little history of other countries............

In reply to: Privacy Parinoia

....... all historical evidence suggests that people are more likely to be repressed, oppressed and badly treated by their OWN country's government than they ever are by external parties.
Assuming that because government is benign now (a big assumption anyhow!) it always will be is a very very foolish position to adopt. Power corrupts and one of the first effects of that corruption is to do ANYTHING to maintain power.

Collapse -
Like the KGB

If our movements were being tracked it would be like the days in the USSR when the KGB did this kind of thing. It is no one's business where I am and what I am doing. Out government is already tracking us via the NSA! That is intrusive enough!

Collapse -
Liking the idea

I'm not concerned with privacy. Just because you could be located by a GPS device in your phone doesn't mean you conversation is going to be listened to. I think its important that the feature can be turned off and on by the user. So that when you go on a road trip you can turn the GPS locator on. This could be coupled with a kind of alarm that you can set to activate a help signal of some kind. So you might set the alarm for an hour after your expected arrival time, and lets say if after 10 minutes you don't get to your phone to turn the alarm off your personal locator "becon" is activated. This would be a benefit in a time of crisis when you are physically unable to manually activate your becon yourself.

Collapse -
I LIKE THE IDEA AS WELL

In reply to: Liking the idea

I COULD BE PARANOID BUT, IN LIGHT OF JAMES LEE'S TRAJEDY AND THE TRAJEDY OF SO MANY IN THE SAME SITUATION? THE CLIMBERS AT MT HOOD, THE COED THAT DISSAPEARED IN MINNESOTA, THE TEEN IN ARUBA, JUST KNOWING WHERE THAT LAST SIGNAL WAS...I AGREE WITH THE TURNING IT OFF OR ON. IF YOU ARE FEMALE AND GO ANYWHERE-TURN IT ON AND KEEP IT PHYSICALLY ON YOU AT ALL TIMES. ANY TRAVELLER SHOULD DO THE SAME. I WORRY LESS ABOUT BIG BROTHER THAN ROBBERS, KIDNAPPERS, RAPISTS AND GETTING LOST IN THE WILDERNESS OR A FOREIGN COUNTRY.

Collapse -
It wasn't the lack of a tracking device

It wasn't the lack of a tracking device or failure of a cell phone that led Kim to his ultimate death. It was the GPS unit that sent him down that road in the middle of a winter storm. If anything, put some sort of alert signal on the GPS unit that connects with the very sattelites that guide you to the destination. Anybody who knows that road would be hard pressed to take that route, even in fair weather.

Collapse -
privacy

In reply to: It wasn't the lack of a tracking device

privacy my bigest problem would be privacy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.