Cameras forum

Question

If the battery fits...

by hartstad / July 3, 2011 12:01 PM PDT

I just purchased a Nikon S9100. The battery is an EN-EL12. The old camera was a Canon. Can I use the old Canon battery charger, CB-2LX, th charge the new battery? Can I use the old Canon NB-5L in the new camera? The dimensions of the batteries are identical.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: If the battery fits...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: If the battery fits...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tell a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2011 5:10 AM PDT
In reply to: If the battery fits...

For both old and new battery.

1. Battery technology. LiON, LiPO, NiMh, Nicad.
2. Volts.
3. Capacity.
4. Electical contacts the same?

Collapse -
Answer
For Emergency Use - Otherwise, It's Not Worth Voiding
by Zeuxidamas / July 8, 2011 8:04 PM PDT
In reply to: If the battery fits...

As Bob indicates above, if you are comfortable with your understanding of electricity, you could do a spec comparison and try to establish if the electrical properties of your new battery are the same as your old one, and that the new one is compatible with your new charger.

I have done this spec comparison for things like power supplies for laptops or chargers for other electronics before.

That being said, I typically do this when I have gone on travel and have forgotten a charger that I needed. I charge the mis-matched device once just to do whatever I need to do and then if the battery runs out again, I just leave it.

My personal feeling is that it is not worth voiding the warranty, especially on a brand new device, to start running it against a different charger. Of course, that is assuming an honest consumer, who will admit that they were using a different charger and battery.

Again, the last thing I would do with a $250 camera I just bought is immediately start pairing it up with equipment that the instructions and warning label specifically say not to use with it. I would think that you received a wall charger for the battery that came with it. A spare battery for this camera from Nikon is $38 direct from Nikon, and I found other deals online for as low as $35 for two battery packs.

I would certainly follow one of these low-cost routes before I hooked the battery up to a charger for a Canon battery, or threw a Canon battery into my Nikon camera.
- Vr/Zeuxidamas..>>

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.