Computer Help forum

General discussion

If PC crashes in Safe Mode, can I eliminate device drivers?

by ahw30045 / March 5, 2005 8:52 AM PST

I am trying to troubleshoot the Windows XP Home SP2 crashes and trying to eliminate software drivers. If PC crashes in Safe Mode, can I eliminate device drivers?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: If PC crashes in Safe Mode, can I eliminate device drivers?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: If PC crashes in Safe Mode, can I eliminate device drivers?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ahw, Better to Uninstall The Software...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 5, 2005 9:40 AM PST

Simply put, you can't uninstall all device drivers or your computer won't work correctly.

If you're having problems, start disabling start up programs in "msconfig" or uninstall possible suspect programs completely.

Scan for spyware and viruses.

And at some point, it may be simpler to reformat and reinstall everything.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Vague question.
by Cursorcowboy / March 6, 2005 12:05 AM PST

Drvmain.sdb is a prepackaged database file saved in the "systemroot\AppPatch" and "system32\dllcache" folders that contains a list of device drivers and their associated Application Help messages - usually .dll files containing the code segments that run when an application requires an application compatibility fix or mode.

This is only a WAG since there have been few reporting the anomaly, but somewhere in the recent past either something installed requiring the use of a compatible driver or an update to a file which is used 100% of the time and Service Pack 2 just can't deal with it. Possible avenues to approach this problem could be:

1. The Driver Protection feature prevents the operating system from loading drivers that are known to cause stability problems and are listed in a Driver Protection List database. Driver Protection checks this database during Windows operating system upgrades and at run time after the operating system is installed. Driver Protection, which cannot be disable directly (click Start, Settings, Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, Services and in the details pane, right-click Upload Manager, Properties. Click the Log On tab, then click the hardware profile that you want to configure, and then click Disable), relies on Windows Update and Dynamic Update to update the database files so that users are presented with the most current information available on protected drivers.

Important: When this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start subsequently and should then be reenabled.

a. "Programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer."

b. "Driver Protection List for Windows XP ."

2. The article [Q310602] suggests using the Recovery Console to shutdown a service or device driver started automatically. Perhaps the following utility will assist in first determing what is loaded/used on a system and the possible cause for the described anomaly:

3. When Windows starts, dozens of programs are run - many of them invisible and running in the background. "AutoStart Viewer" not only allows you to see every autostart on your system, all on the one screen, you can readilly see from where such loads. In addition, it gives you complete control over the autostart references, and allows you to modify or delete them at will. Key Features:

- Over 50 different autostart locations monitored!

- Right-click menu allows you to take complete control over each autostart

- Add New Autostart feature allows you to add new programs to automatically start

- Save/Print functions allow you to take snapshots

- Resizable, easy-to-use interface that shows every autostart on the one display

- All sizes, positions and settings are remembered

4. "In the task manager I see that gearsec.exe running on my computer."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.