The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

if osx were licensed to dell, would you buy a dell?

by benanzo / November 9, 2006 4:21 PM PST

a $500 laptop with osx and all the goodies that make it work like it's a stevejobs handmedown? A laptop with a linux OR one with xp/vista? What self-respecting oem would get into that mess??? Dell wants options so they can tell ms to foff and start calling ALL the shots, but that's a serious nightmare for support.

I see apple making machines for a living, but you know they want to make ms-caliber moolah by hoing out their code, and soon. I know it's been thought before.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: if osx were licensed to dell, would you buy a dell?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: if osx were licensed to dell, would you buy a dell?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would sign up for one...
by Quasigriz / November 9, 2006 6:18 PM PST

From all the publicity and user raves, it is apparant that Apple makes a good product. If Steve Jobbs licensed out OS X, that heart of what apple is, to PC hardware he would make a lot of money. Most other OS's, Linux, Unix, BeOS and such, are available on a variety of hardware platforms, but not Apple's. I'm not sure of the reasoning except that it keeps their H/W division in business. Part of the turnoff for PCs users to switch to Apple is that we can't just load the OS to get a taste of it. We have to run out and drop a large ammount of cash to just user their products. Steve, get the picture, get your software H/W independant and make a killing for your share holders.

Griz

Collapse -
Without a doubt
by gwchemguy / November 10, 2006 12:51 AM PST

I am in the market to buy a <$1000 new desktop and I've been debating to wait for the release of the Vista or start with XP and upgrade. If any form of mac were available for Dell or any other system, I would be there without hesitation.

Collapse -
Absolutely not
by rtemp / November 10, 2006 1:15 AM PST

I avoid Dell like the plague. If we were talking about another company (for example, HP), I would be more likely to say yes, just not to Dell.

-Ryan

Collapse -
I agree
by cnetter001 / November 10, 2006 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: Absolutely not

Like rtemp I will never ever buy another product from dell. They were a good company 8 years ago, but they are terrible now. Frankly, it's time for a new OS that isn't UNIX or Windows to compete in the marketplace. Untill then, I'll stick with Mac, having recently swithced back from Windows.

Collapse -
if osx were licensed to dell, would you buy a dell?
by rlwjr1 / November 10, 2006 2:19 AM PST

One big part that makes "OSX" "OSX" is the fact that Apple writes it's operating systems for a known, closed set of hardware, which they, themselves make. I believe this gives them a huge leg up over Microsoft, which has to, or should at least, make sure that their OS works with a much larger pool of hardware. This makes it much easier for Apple to ensure that their OS works they way they want it to. So, to answer your Question, no, I'll stick with my MacBook Pro. Plus it just looks way cooler Happy

Jamie

Collapse -
Ditto
by MacHugger / November 10, 2006 6:00 AM PST

I was going to post almost the exact same reply until I saw Jamie did it first.

The whole beauty of the Mac experience (and pretty much any Apple product, like the iPod) lies with the tight integration of the hardware and software. Case in point - look at how many PC users had issues with the latest iTunes update. Mac users, almost none.

Open it up to the chaotic hardware mish mash of the PC world and you're dealing with the same mess Microsoft must face with every major update. In fact, I almost feel sorry for the challenge Microsoft faces with every... nah, who am I kidding. I don't care. Happy

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
seems reasonable
by benanzo / November 10, 2006 6:57 AM PST

but I still think Apple is or will soon be willing to sacrifice some control over the mac experience to further their reach in the market. It seems to me to be the next logical step. First they compiled osx for x86, then they assisted us with putting windows on their machines, and soon they'll be assisting big oems in putting osx on their machines, and that's when the big bucks start rolling in. I don't see Steve being content with his cult following forever, even if it does ruin the elitist mac-club feeling. $$$ has always been the driving force.

Collapse -
I think it's obvious that's not the case
by MacHugger / November 10, 2006 7:19 AM PST
In reply to: seems reasonable

If it were always "all about the money," Apple would have made the Mac OS available to PCs during their most dire of days. But they didn't. This isn't to say Apple isn't a company who doesn't care about making money - far from the truth. It's just that there are certain overriding principles from which Steve Jobs refuses to budge and on this issue, I'm very happy that he won't.

Apple doesn't NEED to move their OS over to PCs. They seem to be doing just fine bringing users back to the Mac hardware whether they use the Mac OS or Windows. After years of watching their market share decline, they now get to happily look at a line that is moving up again. Apple is as (or more) profitable than Dell. It's a healthy company and they have absolutely no sane incentive for making the Mac OS run on PCs.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
this is more to the question
by benanzo / November 10, 2006 1:02 PM PST

of whether oems like dell or hp would buy it even if steve did want to sell it. Dell, the largest and most profitable pc manufacturer in the world, would very much like to have the option simply because then they could bully MS instead of the other way around (not that they really get bullied very much anyway, not like HP.) That's not to say that dell would actually do it, but they could sure scare the pants off of ballmer with it. But even then, Dell could offer a Linux and most people wouldn't notice the difference as long as it reads their email and writes their papers. Lenovo already offers certain models certified on suse linux from novell, and they make most of the machines bought by business pros. I think big oems are looking at a pretty serious issue of continuing to be dominated by ms or branching out and having to support mult. systems.

Collapse -
Windows is fine
by mdstout58 / November 10, 2006 10:20 AM PST

Never buy OSX because Windows is universally supported

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.