Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Laptops forum

General discussion

If money was no object, what kind of notebook would you get?

by cybersniper / April 11, 2006 6:19 AM PDT

Howdy folks,

I am in the market for a laptop. I am by no means wealthy, but I am willing to put money into getting something that will serve my current and potential needs.

Whatever I decide on I will customize it so it has the most RAM and fastest processor possible.

I really want something light. I don't take my laptop with me everywhere, but I do move around the house a lot. My laptop is almost always with me. All I really use one for right now is for email, internet research, music and I use Excel and Word for work. But I am getting more and more into digital photography, and I would like to make flyers, brochures and other types of documents too. Rather than get a laptop that serves my very minimal needs, I think I'd rather get one that I can grow into. Who knows what I might want to get into if I have a laptop that will introduce me to other fun technologies and other uses.

Right now, I am considering a Vaio or a MacBook Pro.

I have never worked too much on an Apple. However, I love my iPod and I have heard so many wonderful things about the quality of apple computers...and they're so purty! I have always been super impressed with Apple's customer service too. That is not the case with other computer and software companies in my experience. I love the MacBook's pull away cord and the lightness for its size. I really love the feel of the keyboard as well. Also, and this is a very stupid reason, I really want to learn something new.

Basically, I would love to know what kind of laptop you folks would get if you could get ANY laptop.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: If money was no object, what kind of notebook would you get?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: If money was no object, what kind of notebook would you get?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd second the Apple, or maybe a very
by togus / April 11, 2006 9:22 AM PDT

highly configured IBM, I'd also look at ASUS, they are getting more and more well earned attention lately. Most likely, however I'd wait until the AMD dual cores came out and there was one available with a great GPU and a nice display. I'd love to have that kind of machine in a 14" size, but expect the smallest that will be available might be a 15.4. Who will offer that kind of configuration is beyond me at this point, likely HP, MIS, ASUS, Gateway or maybe (dare I hope?) Fujitsu/Siemens.

Collapse -
Mac - best of both worlds
by simoncroft / April 11, 2006 9:42 AM PDT

Mac laptops have been considered by many informed users to be the best you can get since Apple introduced OS X. (Even my PC-loyal, C++ programming brother changed his mind.)

But the new generation Apple machines will also run Win XP. so you've got a fast, productive Mac working environment, plus the ability to run any legacy apps.

It's a win/win with added Windows!

Collapse -
Macbook Pro no question about it

Hi - I essentially had the same issue and went for the Macbook. The computer is spectacular in almost every respect. My only real complaint is that it tends to get a little warm when plugged in.

Collapse -
Another one...
by nathanpsz2 / April 13, 2006 1:09 AM PDT

...for the Apple.

Collapse -
For work=Thinkpad, for play=Alienware
by Nooorm / April 13, 2006 1:52 AM PDT

You can't beat the thinkpad for quality and reliability and you can't find notebook with more bleed edge bells and whistle than the AW. An Aurora m7700 would do nicely.

Collapse -
hes right.
by m.nandini / April 17, 2006 8:11 AM PDT

If you want some balls to the wall performance in a laptop, you're lookin at the alienware Aurora m7700 (starting at $2,349), Area-51 m7700 (starting at $2,229), or the MJ-12 m7700i/m7700a ( starting at $2,199/$2,549). essentially they are all the same laptop, but there are a few subtle differences. basically in all of them you get a 17" screen, a 3+ ghz processor, a couple of huge hard drives, and dual optical drives; and basically one of the best gaming laptops you can buy.

Collapse -
Thanks Everyone!
by cybersniper / April 17, 2006 10:11 AM PDT

I just wanted to thank everyone who replied. Between your advice and the additional research I did, I decided on a MacBook Pro. I'm not into games at all and I really wanted to learn something new, so I decided to go Mac! I went for the 2Ghz Processor and the 2 Gigs of ram. I couldn't be happier with it!

After only working on Windows for as long as I've been working on computers, I feel extremely comfortable with my Mac. Everything was super easy to figure out and I was able to transfer my files, sync my iPod and Treo650 with very few problems, which were all my fault.

Anyhoo, thanks to everyone for their input!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!