HolidayBuyer's Guide

Linux forum

General discussion

If i switch my os to linux, will i save electricity?

by lraearl / February 28, 2009 11:20 AM PST

i am currently running xp on my hp desktop replacement laptop (pavillion zx5040us), which has an intel pentium 4 2.80ghz processor, 512mb of ram, an ATI mobility radeon 9200 graphics card, a broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN wifi adapter, and a 60gb hard drive.

also, if i switch, will i be able to manage my memory better? will i be able to use the potential of my processor, as well as the potential of the other components listed above, better? will my boot up times be faster?

also, i ask the same questions if i were to dual boot it with my xp. im sorry if i didnt ask my question well or if i didnt give enough details.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: If i switch my os to linux, will i save electricity?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: If i switch my os to linux, will i save electricity?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Linux and your electric bill
by white-bread / February 28, 2009 12:49 PM PST

I don't know about the electric bill part.
Yes, memory management is better.
Yes, you can use the CPU to its full potential.
Yes, boot time can be faster.
Yes, you can dual boot.

There is a howto on here for repartitioning the drive without destroying information.
You may want to install Linux in a virtual machine so that you can adjust to it before installing it physically as a host.

Collapse -
yes i already know that you can dual boot linux with windows
by lraearl / February 28, 2009 12:56 PM PST

i guess i didnt ask the question clearly. would i have the same benefits if i was going to dual boot it with windows rather than completely replacing windows with linux?

Collapse -
Very good point.
by FrankQC / March 11, 2009 12:38 PM PDT

White-bread is right.

Boot times -CAN- be faster if you know how to optimize the Linux distribution. Memory management is better and you can dualboot with it.

Another strong point was the Virtual Machine. It's always good to screw around Linux in a Virtual Machine before doing anything too drastic as main OS.

Collapse -
No..but you might have more fun.
by ahtoi / March 1, 2009 3:46 AM PST

and you know what they say about having fun..you might not turn off that computer which will end up using more electricity. But..on the other hand, your problem maybe more than just difference in OS. usage. Good luck to you.

Collapse -
does not save electricity....
by ggmittal / March 10, 2009 3:24 PM PDT

i don't think installing linux in any way can save electricity.

Collapse -
Saving power
by 3rdalbum / March 13, 2009 10:46 PM PDT

You might save a little bit of power by having nonfunctional wireless... sorry if that remark sounded cryptic. Broadcom wireless cards are notorious for not working well with Linux.

Your memory will be managed better than Windows XP, but remember that you'll be comparing the latest Linux distributions with an 8-year-old operating system; the latest Linux distributions will actively use more memory than Windows XP. 512mb will get things running.

You've got a Pentium 4 2.8GHz processor - your processor doesn't have a lot of potential that won't already be usable in Windows. Having said that, you experience a lot less full-system-slowdown on Linux due to better scheduling of tasks.

If you ran anti-virus on Windows XP, or if you've been running that particular copy of XP for a long time, then your bootup times will be faster on Ubuntu. If not, then they will probably be slower.

Dual-booting with XP doesn't change the answers - if you choose the "Linux" item in the boot menu, the computer will work just the same as if you had wiped Windows and installed Linux as single-boot. If you choose the "Windows XP" item in the boot menu, the computer will work just the same as if you'd never installed Linux.

As for power use, I'm not sure about whether the latest Ubuntu or one of the latest distributions will beat the 8-year-old Windows XP for power use. One positive feature on Linux is the Powertop program, which will be available from your distribution's package manager. This program counts the number of times your CPU "wakes up" from power-saving state per 10 seconds, and gives you suggestions on how to minimise the number of wakeups. Fewer wakeups means better energy efficiency; if you run Linux on a mobile device, you should use Powertop and check out the suggestions at www.lesswatts.org.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.