General discussion

If I restore my computer to factory settings

Will it still have Windows XP and the basic stuff like media player or will that all be gone?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: If I restore my computer to factory settings
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: If I restore my computer to factory settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I can...........

I can burn the stuff I need to a cd like aol and stuff but will it still have Windows XP or will the computer be a blank piece of junk?

- Collapse -
If....

...your computer is a piece of junk when you first got it, then it is a piece of junk when you ".....recover to factory condition".

The recovery CD contains the original operating system. If you have changed it to XP, then won't have XP. You will get back the bundled software programs like anti virus and stuff provided free by the manufacturer (factory), maybe for promotional purposes, but you will lose any programs installed at the shop or by you.

- Collapse -
It came.....

It came with XP so it's gonna have it when I restore?

- Collapse -
be more specific

OS,Ram,G card etc..
also when you say restore
what are you exactly talking about?

restore xp are u saying restore point 1

repair install xp 2

format and install xp new 3

or take a hammer and then get new one??? 4

- Collapse -
To restore

I have a HP pc and if i do a system recovery, it comes back just lik it was when it came out of the box, xp is still the OS and media player and all of it are still there. You just have to start over with all your personal settings. And I have to go download my firewall and anti virus stuff.

- Collapse -
recovery

you're really talking about a recovery. The answer is, yes, IF you had XP when the machine was new.

But if, say, it came with ME, then it will have ME when you recover. And note that everything you have ever done -- all documents, all new programs, all updates of the operating system or whatever -- will be gone. You haven't told us why you believe this fairly drastic step is necessary.

- Collapse -
Forgot to mention,

If you have anything you wanna save, do it before before doing a recovery. He was right, it'll all be gone.

- Collapse -
i done that 1 week ago - it means time !!!

i done it a week ago becuz i had a error within windows all it does is takes you back to when your brought it evrything is lost excpt maybe router settings witch were originly on internet explorer!
when your completed it you have to start evrything agian.
oh and you shuold mayb have a recovery disc

CNET Forums

Forum Info