Speakeasy forum

General discussion

If by whisky ...

by Bill Osler / December 30, 2010 8:13 PM PST

New Year's Eve seems like an appropriate time to mention a speech that succinctly illustrates one politicians unwavering principles:

If-by-whiskey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My friends, I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about whiskey. All right, here is how I feel about whiskey:

If when you say whiskey you mean the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

But, if when you say whiskey you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the spring in the old gentleman's step on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the drink which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life's great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that drink, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.

This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: If by whisky ...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: If by whisky ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dr. Bill,You point out an interesting and subtle distinction
by Ziks511 / December 30, 2010 10:17 PM PST
In reply to: If by whisky ...

between whisky (meaning only Scotch whisky or Scotch, or Single Malt) and all other distilled mash drinks which are contained under the rubric "whiskey". Canadian Whiskey is made from rye mash, Moonshine whiskey and Bourbon is made from corn mash. Scotch whisky is made from barley mash. Damn those stiff-necked Scots for complicating a simple designation. I assume you will find this distinction on the bottles at your local purveyor of spirits, unless bottling for the American market has dictated a change on the label. Certainly here in Canada and the UK the distinction is still held to.

Vodka which is a diminutive of the Russian term pizhnitsi voda, or the "water of life" is a grain or sometimes potato based drink not considered a whiskey though I have heard it referred to as "Vitsky Blanc" White whiskey. Slivovits, distilled Plum Brandy is also a "water of life as is the Scandanavian equivalent of Vodka called Akvavit.

Whisky itself originates from the Scots Gaelic "uisghe beatha" pronounced Weeshga Baaa, also meaning Water of life. Irish whisky, or whiskey, I'm not sure which, is also called "Uisghe Beatha". Distilled brandy in France is called "eau de vie". Three guesses what that one means.

The Scottish movie from 1949, and the first movie I ever saw, called Whisky Galore from the Compton Mackenzie novel recounts the semi-true story of the shipwreck in the Hebrides during the Second World War of a ship loaded with whisky to pay for arms and armaments from America. The island had been dry for months. Whisky was strictly rationed because it was one of the few tradeable goods then produced in the British Isles. In the movie, which is an absolute delight, the Island physician played by James Robertson Justice says, "It's a well known medical fact that some people are born two drinks below parrr."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042040/fullcredits#cast

The film was re-titled Tight Little Island for American distribution.

Americans continually flew in plane loads of liquor from Ireland for their troops and civilian personnel, but the British were denied that (by the Irish authorities and their own lack of credit) and had to make do with watery beer and the very occasional, very expensive glass of rationed hard liquor.

Rob

From a friend's book on his Irish family I pull the quotation: "The Irish don't know what they want -- and they are willing to fight to the death in order to get it."

Collapse -
Here you can buy
by James Denison / December 31, 2010 2:15 AM PST

Pikesville which is a straight rye (single malt) whiskey. It's based on a formula from Pikesville, Maryland. It's what I call "cowboy whiskey" or "rot gut", meaning it's closest to what our forefathers would have consumed. You would not wisely consume it in quick large quantity, it's truly a "sipping" whiskey. Point being, you can still get single malt rye whiskey locally produced in America.

Collapse -
All things in moderation
by Diana Forum moderator / January 1, 2011 10:24 AM PST

I heard that the Irish would rule the world if they could (or wanted to) sober up for a while. Wink

Diana

Collapse -
maybe they are...
by James Denison / January 1, 2011 11:27 AM PST

...too smart to want that.

Collapse -
All credit to "Soggy" Sweat Jr. An honest politician,
by Ziks511 / December 30, 2010 10:19 PM PST

at least on this particular issue.

rob

Collapse -
too many blame booze and drugs for....
by James Denison / December 31, 2010 2:12 AM PST

...the corruption of their hearts.

I think of Noah, who even though he was a drunk, was the most righteous man of a former age, the only one, who with his family, God found worthy of saving for a post diluvian world.

Jesus said, (Mark 7:15) "There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man...Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats? And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things come from within, and defile the man."

Deuteronomy chapter 14 = "Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year. And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee: Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose: And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,..."

The difference between a good drunk and a bad drunk is what they already were in their heart BEFORE they became drunk.

Collapse -
good old John Barleycorn :)
by jonah jones / December 31, 2010 4:06 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.