Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

If a solution is not found...

in a forum is it ok to post in another forum,cause there's that duplcate post problem.

Thanx,
Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: If a solution is not found...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: If a solution is not found...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For the most part...

In reply to: If a solution is not found...

It's really up to you. Locking/deleting duplicate threads is done to curtail spamming and prevent multiple discussions of a topic that can lead to duplicate advice, confusion, and congestion. Personally, I feel if the thread is dead (no responses are provided for two or so days after the thread has been bumped) it's OK to repost in another forum to see if you can receive an answer. Of course there are exceptions to that general thought, so just use your best judgement. As long as you're not spamming the boards, there shouldn't be a problem...the old thread may be locked so traffic is directed to the new thread, but that's about it.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Advice well taken,thanx

In reply to: For the most part...

Collapse -
I thought

In reply to: For the most part...

I thought you were going to tell him,

If there is no reply to your post in six months, then it is ok to repost your problem.

Just kidding, but often I see post that are posted two, three and even four different places. Wouldn't it just make sence to lock for a few days then remove the multiple posts to cut down on the confusion.

Rick

Collapse -
He and a few other Mod's

In reply to: I thought

seem to be doing a good job of such already.

Collapse -
Also, impatience

In reply to: He and a few other Mod's

Newer posters don't realize that the people here trying to help are volunteers and often only login when they have time. You have to wait till someone that can help sees your message. I KNOW! Your toy is broken. Been there. Once had to drive across town to post using a friend's Mac and hang around till Bob could get back to me. That is why a lot of us are volunteers, we want to put back the help we got along the way. Bob and Toni (and many others) drug me kicking and screaming into the 20th century many years back. chuck

Collapse -
reposting

In reply to: Also, impatience

I realize that people are busy,sometimes busier than a one armed paper hanger.

My point was to find out if its OK to repost if a solution is not found in a particular forum.Just wanted to check to see if there is a certain procedure for this situation.Mousearoma pretty much explained it.

I'm not trying to rush anyone,I am aware of the fact that they are busy and this is done on their own time.I have nothing but the utmost respect for these people.

I appreciate everyones feedback,
tom

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.