Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

iexplore.exe hogs 97% of CPU power and memory

by Mainman407 / August 25, 2011 6:09 AM PDT

I know this issue has been discussed in former discussions, and I read most of them. But nothing I read appears to address my specific problem.
One post said to look for an MDM.exe file in my Task Manager, which I did. It was not there. I also disabled the "scripting" options in Windows Explorer's Advanced tab. The CPU usage didn't seem to improve. I also looked for the svchost.exe file in C:\Program Files\svchost.exe. I was told that no such file existed.
While I do see as many as 5 svchost.exe processes running in the Task Manager, most do not appear to be using any CPU power.
Nonetheless, each time I begin browsing, the Task Manager screen in my Taskbar is fully green. Then when I click on the Processes tab in Task Manger, I see that iexpore.exe and pctsSvc.exe (a Spyware Doctor programs I am running) are both consuming very high CPU power and memory.
I sent a system scan file to PCTools to see why this pctsSvc.exe process is using so much CPU power. But no one -- other than rouge spyware,malware vendors wanting to sell me their spyware software--no one has offered a satisfactory resolution to the iexplorer.exe issue.
My OS is Windows XP Pro, and my processor is an old AMD Athlon 1.0-Gig. and 2.0 Gig of DDR.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iexplore.exe hogs 97% of CPU power and memory
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iexplore.exe hogs 97% of CPU power and memory
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Should be able to end task iexplore.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2011 6:13 AM PDT

Since we don't need Internet Explorer the problem is easy to solve.
Bob

Collapse -
Confused!!!
by Mainman407 / August 27, 2011 1:45 PM PDT

What exactly do you mean by: Since we don't need Internet Explore the problem is easy to solve? Are you suggesting that I switch to an alternate browser explorer such as Foxfire, Mozilla, or what?

Collapse -
You guessed the answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2011 2:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Confused!!!

Try that. The issues with IE are now legend. You can use other browsers till more clues are found to why IE is whacked out.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
ALWAYS the frst thing to test
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 25, 2011 6:15 AM PDT

is IE's Add-ons.

Disable all the add-ons and test CPU Usage. You can do that with IE's own 'no add-on' option in Start > All programs > Accessories > System Tools > "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)".

If that solves the cpu usage problem then you know where to look.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
Add-ons disabled
by Mainman407 / August 27, 2011 1:52 PM PDT

I disabled the IE add-on option but the problem was not resolved. I'll try again using the proceedure you discribed.
Would you happen to know why an Active X box appears at the top of the screen each time I access a webpage? Why would I need to add Active X for each website?

Collapse -
ActiveX
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 28, 2011 4:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Add-ons disabled

ActiveX is Microsoft's version of browser component software that allows web sites to be enhanced; for example, playing videos within a browser page instead of having to open a media player already installed on your system.

What version IE is this, because I thought the latest version of IE available for XP, IE8, did away with ActiveX at last. If you are seeing ActiveX in the "IE, (No Add-ons)" version, then that is because all ActiveX has been disabled.

If you are seeing ActiveX messages in the normal IE, then that means your security settings are too high, and are not letting web sites download and install their own ActiveX browser software

Other browsers do not use ActiveX as it is proprietary Microsoft software. It is generally recognised as a vulnerability and that is why Microsoft has done away with it in later versions of IE.

If that iexplore.exe is still using 100% CPU even with all add-ons disabled then that is strange and it points to something other than IE.

Time, I think, to take up Bob's suggestion of using another browser, and also I would suggest you scan for malware. Not just viruses that your anti-virus scanner should be protecting against, but other malware that it doesn't find. I would use the free versions of Malwarebytes Anti-malware and SUPERAntiSpyware.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.