Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

IExplore Error

by scott_6457 / November 1, 2004 8:51 AM PST

well im running Win 98 SE and i use Mozilla Firefox as my browser, although i still have IE 6 installed on my computer...whenever i turn on my computer i get an "IEXPLORE" error..whenever i click close on the error it just pops right back up again, all i can do is drag it off the screen so i can barely see it, and then i continue to do whatever i want on my computer, problem is with this error on the screen the comp runs as slow as a turtle what do i do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IExplore Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IExplore Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: IExplore Error
by Tman1 / November 1, 2004 9:25 AM PST
In reply to: IExplore Error

Quote the error message.

Collapse -
by scott_6457 / November 1, 2004 9:42 AM PST
In reply to: Re: IExplore Error

IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in
module <unknown> at 0000:0068c456.
Registers:
EAX=01151fa4 CS=019f EIP=0068c456 EFLGS=00010202
EBX=00000000 SS=01a7 ESP=871469a0 EBP=871469e0
ECX=00000000 DS=01a7 ESI=95259cd4 FS=3b07
EDX=00000000 ES=01a7 EDI=87146a38 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 02 ff 50 1c 6a ff 8b 0d 64 61 70 00 51 ff 15
Stack dump:
00000000 01151fa4 87146a38 00000000 00000000 87148e64 00690461 00000000 00000000 80007af0 00cf0000 80000000 80000000 87148e58 006a3b58 ffffffff

Collapse -
by Tman1 / November 1, 2004 12:23 PM PST
Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / November 1, 2004 8:50 PM PST
In reply to: IExplore Error
i use Mozilla Firefox as my browser, although i still have IE 6 installed on my computer...whenever i turn on my computer i get an "IEXPLORE" error..

Why should there be an error?

1. When Windows starts or perhaps later a user starts an application, something causes a connection:

a. When a program is used that automatically checks for updated components or Web pages.

b. When a program is located in the "StartUp" folder that is supposed to dial an ISP.

c. If a computer is infected with a Trojan horse virus such as System32.exe or Win32.Bymer that starts when you start your computer. Note that most antiviral programs do not detect or remove Trojan horse viruses.

d. If Symantec WinFax or HotFax Message Center is installed on and improperly configured on a computer.

e. Using a Lexmark printer. The Lexmark printer software may add Lexstart.exe to the "Run" registry key to handle print commands that are send to the printer. This can cause "Dial-Up Networking" to prompt a dial.

f. If Microsoft Personal Web Server 4.0 and the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC) service is loaded from the registry.

g. If a beta version of RealNetworks RealAudio 5 on your computer.

h. If Microsoft Internet Explorer is configured to connect by using a modem and the following registry key is set to yes Y.

Note: Change the option to "No" (an N, which would look like "N" in the right window). To get to that location, start the registry editor and start clicking the + (plus sign) before each of the words preceding the backslash in the following line:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\OLE\EnableRemoteConnect

2. Several installation wizards asks if a user wants so and so loaded at startup. These same programs usually give you the option to reverse that option. Check the help file or documentation for any programs you can identify that loads and turn that option off.

3. If a user has enabled remote connections, a system might try to initiate an Internet connection or at the start of some applications. This behavior is often referred to as "AutoDial" or "AutoConnect". If this is the only concern, then editing the Registry is one way to circumvent this anomaly which you want to disable, [Q191901].

4. And using AOL Instant Messenger (AIM). Open it, find the boxes for and uncheck "Start Instant Messenger when Windows Starts" and "Reconnect Automatically".

5. To determine from where and how programs are started, [Q186049] and "Modem Attempts to Dial When Windows Starts (Q175312)."

Note: Remember. We're talking about where a program loads from, not about Internet Explorer.

6. Do not delete items listed in the Registry's "RUN" key. If you have further questions about a specific item which appears to be something besides a program activated for background operation, come back to the forum with another question. Else, export that key to a safe place in case it needs to be imported should system problems occur.

a. If either or both the Run= or Load= lines are or appear blank, delete the line(s) totally. Windows doesn't care and they'll be created whenever necessary by the operating system.

b. If one of these lines contain a program listing, disable the entire line by inserting a semicolon and a blank space before it at the left margin, and exit to save the file. After rebooting, make a test run to see if the anomaly disappeared. If it still occurs and the other line also had something entered, edit it similarly and reboot. If after both lines have been disable and the anomaly remains, re-edit the file to remove your entries. Reboot again before doing anything else.

c. If either or both of these lines contain multiple program entries copy the entire line to a separate line below it and place semicolon and space before it at the left margin. Return to the original entry and delete one of the multiple entries, exit to save, reboot, and make a test run. If the first removal didn't work, delete what is left on the original line and type in the second item still shown on the archived copy you pasted below it. Give things a test again. Still didn't work, then delete the testing line, remove the semicolon and space before that archive line to return the system as it was previously, exit and save.

d. You do have the option of running a program otherwise listed on a Run= or Load= line, particular when there are multiple listings should you want to.

(1) Simply create an icon in the Startup folder and assign the same action as that contained on the line.
=or=
(2) If you only need to run the program on occasions, or perhaps not at all, simply create a shortcut somewhere where you can start the program on demand.
=then=
(3) Simply delete the Win.ini file line entries and don't worry about it.

7. Is Outlook installed with the Corporate Workgroup/Other option?

a. To determine your installation type, on the Help Menu click About Microsoft Outlook. In About Microsoft Outlook you should see "Corporate" if you have the Corporate Workgroup installation. If you are using Windows "NT" or it is not installed, skip this paragraph. Otherwise, keep reading.

b. The Microsoft Outlook 98 Internet E-mail Service, does not automatically call your Internet Service Provider (ISP) using dial-up networking to check for new mail but it could, [Q190172].

8. If remote connection is enabled in Win95/8, a system might try to initiate an Internet connection at startup. To turn off remote connections in Win95/8, set the registry key EnableRemoteConnect to N. You can do this by running "DCOMCNFG" in Win98, clicking the Default Security tab, and clearing the Enable remote connection check box should it fail to run, [Q177394].

9. If a system has been infected with a virus:

WARNING: As always, make sure every utility you use is fully updated.

a. First, please read the article concerning "Unsolicited Commercial Software."

b. Second, perform as a minimum the first five items listed below.

Note: If you try using CWShredder, HijackThis, as well Spybot S&D, Ad-aware and several other anti-spyware utilities and a trojan is installed which prevents their running, download PepiMK's "CoolWWWSearch.SmartKiller" removal tool, uncompress the zip file and run the program.

? "Housecall."

? "Adaware." Your attention is invited to "Unable to Log On To Windows XP After Removing wsaupdater.exe."

? "Spybot S&D."

Note: Should you perhaps receive a warning similarly labeled "DSO Exploit: Data source object exploit . ., please access the S&D site and read the information at this link.

? "CWShredder v2" (a hard site to reach) or "CWShredder v1.59.1."

Note: It is being reported in the "Virus Alerts" forum, "Testers from several security forums are reporting issues with the new CWShredder (version 2). It is recommended to use the original program until further notice."

? "McAfee AVERTStinger."

? "Hijack This" - 1 or "Hijack This" - 2.

Note: Posting a log concerning #f should only be at the direction of a forum moderator IMO. For your reading pleasure, "Hijack Removal."

10. "StartPage Guard 2.5" is a freeware 422kb download that protects a system from cyberscam by detecting and preventing unauthorized changes to the Internet browser's Start and Search pages and capable of automatically removing most known "invaders".

Note: Also be advised when using "Spybot-S&D" there are lock options which circumvents changing of the Internet Explorer Home Page. Run this program, click Tools, IE tweaks, and note the boxes for certain Lock . . ..

11. Please reply to our input that each and every one of the mentioned five were used and the result if you require further input.
Collapse -
by scott_6457 / November 3, 2004 11:47 AM PST

Well, i ran adware and spyware and all of those programs and still the same problem. I was wondering though, although I use Mozilla, Internet Explorer is still installed on my computer. Can i completely remove it?

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / November 3, 2004 8:30 PM PST

1. Well, i ran adware and spyware and all of those programs and still the same problem.

Then your system should be clear of intruders.

2. I was wondering though, although I use Mozilla, Internet Explorer is still installed on my computer. Can i completely remove it?

No. It's part of the Win98 operating system.

3. There are still lots of areas noted in my message which haven't been addressed!

Collapse -
by scott_6457 / November 3, 2004 11:49 AM PST

Ran adware and spyware, and there is nothing with new.net on my comp...still have the same problem...any other ideads?

Collapse -
by scott_6457 / November 8, 2004 9:49 AM PST

Well, after running spyware, adware, disk defragmenter and, scan disk the error finally went away. But, only for like 2 days now its back again....helllllp please.

Collapse -
Reinfections.
by Cursorcowboy / November 8, 2004 9:21 PM PST
whenever i turn on my computer i get an "IEXPLORE" error..whenever i click close on the error it just pops right back up again, all i can do is drag it off the screen so i can barely see it, and then i continue to do whatever i want on my computer, problem is with this error on the screen the comp runs as slow as a turtle what do i do?

You still haven't found the reason or cause for Internet Explorer being initiated during boot. Only you can do this by actually doing the investigation.

IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in
module unknown

"Microsoft Knowledge Base Articles" listing that error.

Well, after running spyware, adware, disk defragmenter and, scan disk the error finally went away. But, only for like 2 days now its back again....

1. Proves that it will work if using all the recommended eradicator utilities. However, unless you take action to block subsequent invasions by these intruders or change your use habits, you get to run them again, again, and again.

2. I'd recommend you look to the right on one of these pages for the hyperlink Virus Alerts which when clicked will take you to another CNET forum. Input your computer information and programs used, and then describe what utilities you use for purging such intruders, and then ask what is the best way to block their coming back.
Collapse -
Re: Reinfections.
by Merl Priester / November 9, 2004 12:32 PM PST
In reply to: Reinfections.

Do the online scans at
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

You MUST use internet explorer for these.

You need to do a scan of your drive PRIOR to windows loading.
AVAST will do this http://www.avast.com
get the home version, do not install it with Norton installed.
Run the boot time scan.
I have found many systems with the swap file infected.
This is a guarantee of reinfection.

Another option is to put your drive in as an extra drive in another system and then scan it. This way windows is not loaded on it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?