Computer Help forum

General discussion

iexplore and adobe files

by cavis / January 22, 2005 10:44 AM PST

I am using windowsXP home edition, but not the latest sp2, and Iexplore version 6. I also have adobe version 6 installed. Iexplore will not download adobe pdf files. I get the message "plugin install" then "done", down in the lower left hand corner, but no file infomation.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iexplore and adobe files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iexplore and adobe files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cavis, Please Clarify...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 22, 2005 11:49 AM PST

Your statement was "Iexplore will not download adobe pdf files". Do you mean that it won't "open" 'pdf' files while on the internet or do you mean that you can't "download" 'pdf' files to your computer hard drive?.

In addition, which "adobe version 6" are you referring to? The "full" Adobe Acrobat 6 program or the free "Adobe Acrobat Reader" which you can download from the interenet?

If you can't "open" pdf files while on the internet, then make sure that you have ActiveX enabled in your Internet Explore security settings. (Click on Start-Control Panel-Intenet Options. When the Internet Options icon is open, click on the "Security" tab, then highlight the "Internet" icon, then at the bottom of that window, make sure the "Reset To" line says: "Medium", then click on the "Reset" button. Choose "Yes" when it asks: "Are you sure?"

One other possiblity, try updating to the newest Adobe Acrobat Reader 7 from the link below:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
iexplore and adobe files
by cavis / January 23, 2005 4:02 AM PST

I am using the adobe acobat reader 6.01. It is the free version. I did mean that it won't "open" 'pdf' files while on the internet. I do have all ActiveX enabled in the internet options. Have not tried the adobe acrobat 7 yet. Thanks for the responce.

Collapse -
.PDF extension and IE
by Cursorcowboy / January 22, 2005 8:27 PM PST

Internet Explorer may display a blank page with a placeholder icon instead of displaying a Portable Document Format (.pdf) file with Adobe Acrobat Reader. This behavior occurs because the Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) to the .pdf file does not end in ".pdf" (for example, the file is opened by using script or the file is dynamically generated) and the content-type header (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions [MIME] type) that is returned by the server is "unknown/unknown". Previous versions of IE open Adobe Acrobat Reader as a plug-in, but IE6.x does not support Netscape-style plug-ins, which BTW, could happen with any unrecognized plun-in, [Q305153] and [Q306790].

Note: The article [Q555027] explains that when you try to connect to web site by using Internet Explorer 6 or Internet Explorer 6 with Service Pack 1 - it may open with blank page, instead of web site and the problem could be that some dll's didn't register themselves. Check the registering process in this article as well as downloading and following the instructions for "IEFix" - a general purpose fix for Internet Explorer (Win 98/ME/2000/XP).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?