Computer Help forum

General discussion

IE9 Windows Update

by slybo / April 5, 2011 8:49 PM PDT

Has anybody installed IE9 through windows update and did you have any problems? I would like to know before I try. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE9 Windows Update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE9 Windows Update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yep, just done it
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 5, 2011 8:54 PM PDT
In reply to: IE9 Windows Update

I got mine through Windows Updates about 2 hours ago. No problems.

The only weird thing I saw was a message before the install started telling me that;

"Windows Explorer, Firefox, (open at the time), and my Firewall had to close for the install to proceed correctly".

Never seen that before and I assumed that the install would close everything down for me. But it didn't. There was just a reboot, (restart), of the computer and all was fine.

Mark

Collapse -
firewall
by slybo / April 5, 2011 9:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Yep, just done it

Thanks for the quick reply. So are you saying to just go ahead and turn off my firewall before I do the update or just let windows update do it?

Collapse -
Well, I didn't.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 5, 2011 9:09 PM PDT
In reply to: firewall

I may have misunderstood the pop-up window, but I thought it said that the installation would close those programs down, so I never bothered.

I didn't have Windows Explorer open anyway, but I suspect that they meant the whole Windows Shell, (what we see when Windows is loaded), and I left Firefox open and I didn't touch my firewall.

In truth I wasn't happy about having the firewall disabled, even for a few short minutes, but it never happened! The install completed, nothing had been closed or disabled, and I got the normal message to restart which I allowed, and all was fine.

So either I misread the window or it was a poorly worded message telling me that the system would be rebooted.

But really, no problems at all, and I didn't have to do anything like disabling the firewall.

Hope that helps.

Tell us what you see when you begin the install. See if I misread it. Happy

Mark

Collapse -
will try
by slybo / April 5, 2011 9:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Well, I didn't.

I have 3 computers so I will try on my oldest first, a vista laptop and will let you know. Thanks

Collapse -
vista done
by slybo / April 5, 2011 9:45 PM PDT
In reply to: will try

Ok, I have done my vista and all went well. Only thing is after starting the update it seemed to stop doing anything. I placed the mouse over the icon in the notification tray and it keep showing o% installed. I saw there were two items open in the taskbar so minimized the screen to look at the other item and found a popup that I needed to click install for the install process to start. After I clicked that all went well. Of course upon opening IE9 had to get things back the way I want them as in putting the menu bar back. Did not see the popup about the firewall.

Collapse -
Ohh yeah.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 5, 2011 9:49 PM PDT
In reply to: vista done

I got that as well! Forgot to tell you. Devil

Glad it went well.

Mark

Collapse -
antivirus
by slybo / April 5, 2011 9:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Ohh yeah.

Forgot to say I disabled my avast antivirus just to be on the safe side, in case it tried to interfere.

Collapse -
windows 7
by slybo / April 5, 2011 10:29 PM PDT
In reply to: antivirus

Did my windows 7 and did get a popup with a list of programs it wanted to close and it had the option to let the update do it for you and after selecting that it all went well. Did not see firewall in the list.

Collapse -
Yes, a strange popup
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: windows 7

But good to see it all went well with you.

Mark

Collapse -
IE 9
by Bob__B / April 5, 2011 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: IE9 Windows Update

Installed via winup.....yes.
Problems....no.

Pity the folks using dial-up.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!