Question

IE9 on Windows 7 Home Premium

I have an HPdv67020US laptop (15.6 in). Bought new this past week. Had to get rid of Toshiba laptop due to a virus (Trojan). I tried to repair Trojan but was unsuccessful. Brought it back to Staples for Trojan removal twice very $$$. Then, I got fed up and told them to recycle it.
Thus, bought the abve HP. Unfortunately, back to square one. IE9 is again acting strange. When I go into some websites, all the text of the website is missing, and I cannot get it back. However, when I use Chrome or Comodo Dragon, it works perfectly. Any ideas? Thanks.
Alice from Flushing, NY

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: IE9 on Windows 7 Home Premium
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: IE9 on Windows 7 Home Premium
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Just my advice?

Here I rarely use IE (any version) because it's a big fat target for malware, trojan and virus writers.

Why use a browser that has a big target painted on every side?
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
IE9 Missing Text Problem..

Hi "Alice from Flushing"..

It appears to me you're posting about two separate issues. I was thrown off when I read where you wrote you were .. "back to square one". I highly doubt the missing text has anything to do with "malware". Just to be sure, I'll include a couple of tools to scan with at the end of the post.

I can't say I've had the same problem , but I've read of quite a few people who have. All I can offer is what I've read.

"Why don't some websites and pages work correctly in IE9?" suggests the below. It includes the "why's and how's":

• Turn on Compatibility View:
• Turn off Tracking Protection for a single website.
• Turn off Hardware acceleration

In a thread titled "Internet Explorer 9 has missing characters in text" the original poster used Target's as an example of a site which doesn't display properly. Believe it or not, Target's doesn't support IE9. Or least it didn't as of May 2012. Read what's suggested.

This may (or may not) be apropos, but when performing a forum search (quite coincidentally) I came upon a post I created last year. "A fix for fuzzy fonts in IE9". Maybe there's something there which will help. Confused

I'm in complete agreement with Bob, in that IE is a BIG FAT target for malware. The only time I ever use it is to install the Microsoft monthly updates. I can understand you're probably used to IE, but you would be doing yourself a huge favor by not using it. Once I started using Firefox, I never looked back.

You said you had a problem with a virus and brought it to Staples a couple of times. What is going to prevent another infection? I think you know where I'm headed. I'm not here to lecture you. Short of saying we are our system's first line of defense.

If you wish to try a couple of scanners, give the below a try:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

ESET's Online Scanner - Their FAQ and Help sections should answer any questions you might have. (Temporarily disable your antivirus prior to running the scan)

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner

"Carol from L.I. "

- Collapse -
Answer
I see...

To have both PCs act the same way, suggest you've revisited the same websites that maybe problematic or re-using back-up s/w with this Trojan present, etc.. Logically, that's what I see at this point. I see no mention of the AV at work here or you're allowing or accepting some action and it gets past your defenses. Sadly, IE9 and all it kin are prone to attack. You're seeing the results, why not move away from it and use what works for you. You should also checkout the "spyware, viruses and security" forum here and use the s/w available and/or advice as well. Check out it main sticky post, usually top of forum. Understand some of malware is pretty tuff stuff and can be hard to get rid of. Plus, should scan any discs, ext. drives, etc. to see if they are a source of malware.

tada -----Willy Happy

CNET Forums