General discussion

IE8 problems

by zeebell / March 1, 2011 11:55 AM PST

Dell Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E7500 Computer
Inspirion 545s 00
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
6GB Memory
750GB Hard Drive

In the past couple of days, my IE8 has been crashing big time. I have many .gif files that I look at using IE rather than the gallery because with IE, I can see the animations, where I cannot using the gallery.

The dialog box that said IE cannot open and will find a solution pops up about every 3rd image I open. Granted the image does open and I can view it perfectly; however, I have to X out of this box a heck of a lot of times.

The only changes I made on pc is getting the new AVAST Free and Windows updates -- however, not SP1.

Any ideas how to stop this crazy happening? The log of errors just keeps getting longer and longer.

Julea

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE8 problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE8 problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Continuation of post above
by zeebell / March 1, 2011 11:57 AM PST
In reply to: IE8 problems

I forgot to mention that I've run Spybot, MBAM, Super Anti-Spyware, and Avast scans and they found nothing. I've also used CCleaner and did a disk cleanup and updated the programs mentioned above before running the scans.

Collapse -
Others Having Similar Issues....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 1, 2011 12:07 PM PST

Especially since you're using Windows 7, see the thread below:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19411_102-518993.html

It seems like "reset"of Internet Explorer is fixing the issue. (Control Panel-Internet OPtions-Advanced tab-"Reset" button.)

Or if you're using Symantec products, disabled the "Symantec Intrusion Protection addin".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank you Grif
by zeebell / March 1, 2011 1:20 PM PST

Your solution worked perfectly!!! It's going great guns now and no more error messages. TYTYTY!!! You have come to my rescue so many times over the years -- I truly appreciate you.

Julea

Collapse -
Julea, Good Job ! Just Curious...Are You Using Symantec?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 2, 2011 12:46 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you Grif

And although the "Reset" should fix the issue, it appears as though Symantec may be the root cause. Did you reset IE8 or did you remove the Symantec add-in?

I'm not seeing the issue here but we don't use Symantec..

Just Curious

Collapse -
No, I use Avast
by zeebell / March 2, 2011 4:56 AM PST

I did see in another forum where there was a fix for this problem "for those using AVG." They provided a link to Microsoft for the repair fix, but I didn't bite since it was for AVG users, not Avast. Your response too care of my problems 100%.

Thanks again.

Julea

Collapse -
Sadly a well worn issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2011 12:07 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanks for the wild goose chase Bob
by zeebell / March 1, 2011 1:21 PM PST

Grif's information was right on!!!

Julea

Collapse -
Sorry but the chase was unintentional.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2011 12:14 AM PST

If you read the other posts it took awhile to zero in on a fix. You can see the other posts didn't get it fixed till a few tries.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for your post Bob.
by zeebell / March 2, 2011 4:57 AM PST

Things are going smoothly. You can see my note to Grif where was another fix out there, but it was for AVG users, not Avast, like myself.

Julea

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.