General discussion

IE8 Messenger

is there anyway to get rid of Messenger? I have gone into the windows set up add remove windows components and removed it, also into add remove program and the msconfig and the darned thing still pops up everytime I open MSN mail! Going nuts here
TIA
IE8
Win XP Home

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: IE8 Messenger
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: IE8 Messenger
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
try this
- Collapse -
Thanks

I will do this in the morningHappy

- Collapse -
did it...

and it didn't stop itSad

- Collapse -
Just to verify...

Is this Windows Messenger, MSN Messenger, or Windows Live Messenger? The former is a part of Windows XP while the latter two are independent downloads, leading to different removal instructions. "IE8 Messenger" is not a Microsoft product, so it's important to determine exactly which messenger application is causing the issue at hand.

Let us know,
John

- Collapse -
It is

Windows Live Messenger that came with IE8, I never use it so had no specifics. Version is 2009 Build 14.0.8064.206
Any help would be appreciated. Right now I am thing of just removing IE8 and going back to IE7. Thanks John

- Collapse -
They're not tied together...

Although Microsoft recommends the Windows Live suite, it's separate from IE8 and, as such, uninstalling IE8 will not resolve the issue. Rather, you need to uninstall Windows Live Messenger (and any other Windows Live services/programs you don't want) through the Control Panel. (Brett's suggestions were actually in regards to Windows Messenger, which is an entirely different application.)

Hope this helps,
John

- Collapse -
Thank you

I will do this

- Collapse -
I just finished

and it is finally gone, Thanks. It slowed my MSN mail down so bad I had to wait to open any mail! It was just a nuisance! Thanks to both of you for the help.

CNET Forums

Forum Info