Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

IE8 Favorites LIsting is Jumpy/ IE8 Loads Very Slowly

IE8 connects to the internet very slowly. IE8 also has a problem on my computer when I try to click on an item under "Favorites." The listing is very jumpy. It seems hard to click on the particular item. I am using Win XP Pro. Any suggestion? WolfpackRon.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE8 Favorites LIsting is Jumpy/ IE8 Loads Very Slowly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE8 Favorites LIsting is Jumpy/ IE8 Loads Very Slowly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: IE8 Favorites Listings is Jumpy/IE8 Loads Very Slowly

In reply to: IE8 Favorites LIsting is Jumpy/ IE8 Loads Very Slowly

I have a new Dell Vostro 1510 laptop and downloaded and installed IE8 and I'm having a similar problem. My computer's OS is Windows Vista Premium. I now wish I had stayed with IE7. If I remove IE8 will my computer revert back to IE7 which seemed to be more stable?

Collapse -
(NT) Yes. You can remove IE8 and IE7 will come back.

In reply to: Re: IE8 Favorites Listings is Jumpy/IE8 Loads Very Slowly

Collapse -
IE8 Removal

I did remove IE8 and IE7 came back. This did solve my "jumpy" problem when clicking on favorites items. It also is some faster. I still have the startup page from the "new" IE7 startup. I will figure that out. WolfpackRon.

Collapse -
Re: IE8 Removal

In reply to: IE8 Removal

Thanks.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: IE8 Removal

I want to uninstall IE8 but it's not listed in my Control Panel, add or remove programs, where would I locate it so I can remove it and revert back to IE7?

Collapse -

I did a search here, found a post on how to remove IE8, I did it and it seemed to work but now I'm receiving pop up messages on every website I go to, including this one. The bar across the top of my monitor says as follows:

"Protected mode is currently turned off for the Local intranet zone. Click here to open security settings."

At the bottom of my monitor's screen in the lower right hand corner it says "Internet/Protection Mode: On.

Should I just ignore this and do nothing because I don't feel comfortable making changes to any settings. When I had IE7 before installing IE8 I did not receive these pop up messages on every site I visited and while I had IE8 installed I didn't received them on every site I visited either.

Collapse -

No more pop up bars but I hope I didn't totally disable that feature.

Collapse -
GO BACK TO IE7

Try to restore to a date prior to when IE8 was installed.
Click the following:- Start,all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore.
Click restore to previous date, pick suitable date.
If you are unhappy with the result you can always undo your actions.

If you are happy with your settings, it would be good to create regularly a restore point.

Do as above, but this time tick "create new restore point"
Give it an easy name like "GOOD"

Collapse -

Collapse -

One thing that can really slow down IE8 (or make it jumpy), is if there are a lot of 'add-ons' running while you are trying to browse, managing your add-ons can really speed up browsing. To fix try this:

In IE, go to ?tools? and ?manage add-ons?.
Disabling any unnecessary add-ons may help your Internet run faster.
Try disabling add-ons with more than a .2 sec load time. (i.e. tool bars)
If you?re still not having any luck, I recommend you reinstall IE8 on your system.

Also, running 'compatibility mode' can dramatically speed up browsing. Some sites are not yet compliant with the new technology in IE8, so compatibility mode was included in IE8 to allow you to emulate IE7 to view the page. This link will show you how to do it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956197/

Good luck, hope this helps!

-Kyler
IE 8 Outreach Team

Collapse -
Re: IE8 Favorites Listing is Jumpy/ IE8 Loads Very Slowly

After a great deal of searching and toggling many different options, I found a solution to the problem scrolling through the Favorites folders!

I am using Windows XP.
The option may be in a different place if you have some other version of Windows.

In Control Panel, Folder Options, View tab, scroll to the bottom and uncheck ?Show pop-up description for folders and desktop items?.

I am not certain, but it also seems to have improved the general performance in Windows Explorer as well.

I am not having the issue of IE8 loading slowly, but I have seen other posts that suggest SpyBot's innoculation may have something to do with it.
If you are using SpyBot, I suggest you include it on your search.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.