Windows 7 forum

General discussion

ie8 32 bit for Win 7 stopped working

by wgoforth / March 1, 2011 10:58 AM PST

My system is brand new, but all of a sudden, the 32 bit version of ie8 Win 7 says "Program has stopped responding" as soon as you launch it. The 64 bit ie8 is running fine, as is Firefox. Any sugegstions?
Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ie8 32 bit for Win 7 stopped working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ie8 32 bit for Win 7 stopped working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Just experienced the exact same thing tonight!
by mdmnd9294 / March 1, 2011 11:20 AM PST
Collapse -
Same Here
by bgarrant / March 1, 2011 11:22 AM PST

Same issue here. Just started about 15 minutes ago on all 4 workstations. 64 Bit version works fine.

Collapse -
Anyone else having this issue?
by bgarrant / March 1, 2011 11:27 AM PST

Is anyone else having this issue tonight?

Collapse -
Misery loves company!
by wgoforth / March 1, 2011 11:30 AM PST

Well, apparently an update thing. Sorry ya'll are having it too, but at least it will be tended to in time.

Collapse -
Aggravating
by s43s / March 1, 2011 11:33 AM PST
In reply to: Misery loves company!

It worked perfectly fine until about 8PM. Any idea what update caused it?

Collapse -
Update
by s43s / March 1, 2011 11:42 AM PST
In reply to: Aggravating

I did a reset on IE > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced and IE 32 bit is working again.

Collapse -
ie8 32 bit for Win 7 stopped working-Very weird!
by Rigsbone26 / March 1, 2011 11:53 AM PST

I had an unusal amount of customer's call in this evening and having the same issues, the reset did work.Any ideas if it is a glitch from update?

Collapse -
what fixed it for me
by rochhard / March 1, 2011 12:03 PM PST

I had the same issue. Disabled the Symantec Intrusion Protection addin (after much trial and error) and voila. Must be a bad update pushed. (running NIS 2010)

Collapse -
worked
by wgoforth / March 1, 2011 12:20 PM PST

Reset did it!
Thanks guys!

Collapse -
Me too
by Mary / March 1, 2011 12:47 PM PST
In reply to: worked

Happened on my desktop and laptop but fortunately I have firefox also on desktop. Did a system restore on both to yesterday and now IE is fine. Mary

Collapse -
Same experience here times 3
by bonwelt1 / March 1, 2011 1:24 PM PST

First it happened on my laptop, then on my desktop. When I checked with a neighbor, it also happened to his desktop around the same time. We thought it had to do with having google as the home page on all 3 computers.

Collapse -
confirmed with symantec
by rochhard / March 1, 2011 1:44 PM PST

I don't know how many of you are using Symantec, but an online help just confirmed to me that there was an update issue they were working on, sair it would be resolved in 24-48 hours. Confirms my experience, FWIW.

Collapse -
Same thing to me.
by csm2067 / March 1, 2011 11:18 PM PST

I wasn't sure if I had 64bit or 32bit and I didn't know about the reset. So I installed ie9 64bit and it works great.

Collapse -
Norton Fix
by WildClay / March 2, 2011 1:22 AM PST

I have not tried yet, have to get home first, but on the Symantec site there are many many who are saying the Norton suggested fix worked.

The fix per Nortos is the re-run Live-Update.

A work-around is to disable Norton Intrusion Protection IE add-in and many also say that gets IE going before the fix if you need IE before live update from Norton or if Live Update does not work for you.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/NIS-Intrusion-Protection-crashing-IE8/td-p/406950/page/4

Re: NIS Intrusion Protection crashing IE8[ Edited ] Options Mark as New -- Message 36

03-01-2011 07:33 PM - last edited on 03-01-2011 07:34 PM

Hi everyone,

If you're experiencing this issue, I recommend that you run LiveUpdate now to get the updated IPS definitions. This should resolve the problem for you. Please let us know if this fixes the problem for you. Thanks!

Tony Weiss
Norton Forums Global Community Manager
Symantec Corporation

Collapse -
Fix Worked Perfectly
by WildClay / March 2, 2011 10:15 PM PST
In reply to: Norton Fix

The fix of just running live update again worked, need to reboot after it finished the update and all should be good.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?