Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

IE7 won't let me send new desktop icons to desktop

by jerrychern / October 20, 2006 7:19 AM PDT

Just downloaded IE7. Cannot find a way to send a desktop icon to my desktop. It's probably so easy that I'll be embarrassed, but it should either be more intuitive, or - added if it doesn't exist. If this feature is not available, I'll switch from IE7.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE7 won't let me send new desktop icons to desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE7 won't let me send new desktop icons to desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm not sure I follow...
by John.Wilkinson / October 20, 2006 8:17 AM PDT

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'sending a desktop item to the desktop.' Do you mean when you right-click a file on your computer and mouse over Send To there is no option to send it to your desktop?

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
Thanks - found it
by jerrychern / October 20, 2006 8:59 AM PDT

Thanks for your reply. As it turns out, IE7 has no file, edit, view, etc., because they don't want to "clutter" the window. They way to access the file option is to press your "Alt" key. Those headings then pop into place. From there, everything else is "normal". Problem solved - and, hopefully, for others reading this who also felt lost.
Jerry

Collapse -
Send to Desktop Problem
by zatu / October 28, 2006 11:45 PM PDT

hi i have the exact problem you just stated with the: when i right click and go to send to, i have nothing there but drivers... i used to have send to desktop and all this and now its gone. plz help
thanks

Collapse -
Links about repair of this feature.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2006 11:55 PM PDT
Collapse -
Sending to desktop
by tsaen / October 31, 2006 4:04 PM PST

I have no problem sending a shortcut to my desktop. I just right click and choose save target as and then choose where to save it to.

Rick

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?