General discussion

ie7 won't download anything

specs for sony model vgn-n320e/b
vista home premium sp1
1gb memory
Intel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ie7 won't download anything
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ie7 won't download anything
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well

In reply to: ie7 won't download anything

Well, aside from the fact that this is likely some form of malware, I'd say it's a good thing. Internet Explorer is a rampaging security hazard, and really should be used as sparingly as possible; not using it at all being even better.

I would start with the usual virus and spyware scans, and odds are that will clear it up. Then set her up with Firefox or Opera or something other than Internet Explorer to use, and impress upon her the importance of avoiding Internet Explorer unless she wants to have numerous repeat sessions of problems like this or worse.

Also, if she's running Vista Home Premium and has integrated graphics, I would suggest that you suggest to her to get at least another 1GB of RAM for her system, 2GB would be even better if her system will support that much. She will undoubtedly see a huge improvement in the overall performance of the system if she does that. I can't tell if that's a desktop or laptop from just the model number, but if it's a desktop, and it has an open PCI-E slot, getting some cheap video card with its own dedicated memory would also likely provide a boost to performance. The RAM would be the big one though, the video card could be put off for another day if it's a desktop. If it's a laptop, she's stuck with what she has, so no point even bringing the issue up.

Collapse -
more info`

In reply to: Well

its a laptop
video takes it own 224mb
i will run scans and see where it goes from there

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.