Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

IE7 Printing problem with tables.

by henkieroosie / February 19, 2008 8:19 PM PST

HI there. I'm busy developing a printing page that prints out statements for clients. When I view the page in the browser it displays correctly but not when I view the print preview, and it also prints incorrectly.

The view is as follows:

Statement description1
Statement descirption2
Statement description3

but when I print then some of the descriptions have a line in between:

Statement description1

Statement description2
Statement description3

The html looks like this:

<table>
<tr>
....other fields.......
<td>Statement description 1
<br />Statement description2
<br />Statement description3
</td>
....other fields.......
</tr>
</table>

This problem only occurs when printing the page and viewing the print preview, and happens with IE6 + IE7, but not with firefox.

Regards,

Henk

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IE7 Printing problem with tables.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IE7 Printing problem with tables.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Something not right there.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 19, 2008 8:28 PM PST

You may be better posting this in CNET's "Web design & hosting" forum here;
http://forums.cnet.com/5204-6616_102-0.html?forumID=37&tag=forum.fd

There are more experts on html who visit that forum.

However your description of the problem and the html code you offered does not match up. The code was;

<table>
<tr>
....other fields.......
<td>Statement description 1
Statement description2
Statement description3
</td>
....other fields.......
</tr>
</table>

And that <td></td> anchor should display Statement1 Statement2 Statement3 in a line, and not in a list. It is the same as this line;
<td>Statement description1 Statement description2 Statement description3</td>

Is this what you wanted it to do, or do you actually want it to display in a list?

Also, what are the "other fields"? They could have a bearing on the problem.

Mark

Collapse -
Oops - Browsers removes my br's
by henkieroosie / February 19, 2008 8:55 PM PST

yes I see that browers will remove my breakpoints.

Let's see if the following example works:

&#60table&#62

&#60tr&#62
&#60td&#62
Statement description 1
&#60br /&#62Statement description 2
&#60br /&#62Statement description 3
&#60/td&#62
&#60/tr&#62

&#60/table&#62

Collapse -
Ok , that example did not work so nice
by henkieroosie / February 19, 2008 9:12 PM PST

okay , in the original example there should be a br / before the statement description 2 and before the statement description 3.

Regards,
Henk

Collapse -
Yep, I understand what you mean.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 19, 2008 9:58 PM PST

It's the Jive software that drives these forums that strips out formatting codes like {br}. I have used curly braces to depict the <

So, your html looks like this?

<table>
<tr>
....other fields.......
<td>Statement description 1{br}
Statement description 2{br}
Statement description 3{br}
</td>
....other fields.......
</tr>
</table>

Here's the problem as I see it. but like I say, the web forum is the place to be. They know more.

1] IE and Firefox have different default settings for margins, (top/bottom, left/right), for their print options.

2] I believe, but I may be wrong, that IE and Firefox handle spaces differently, eg the & nbsp; They also handle character spacing and other width measurements differently.

3] Those, 'other fields'. How wide do they push the table columns across the display area?

4] Is the table width fixed or proportional? Are column width's fixed?

5] How much text is displayed in the 'other fields' to the left of the Statement description column, and how much in the 'other fields' to the right?

6] Remember, without additional formatting of the <td></td> anchors, any text or image placed within them will be vertically and horizontally centered. Any text or images to left or right of that column is going to affect the position of those statements.

Example. In column A there is one line of text then an image underneath it. In column B, (your column), that first line of text in col A will hold Statement description 1 in the same line. But the image in col A may push Statement description 2 and 3 down.

7] What happens in Print Preview if you turn off "Shrink to fit"? What happens if you select Landscape?

That's all I can offer with my limited knowledge.

By the way, these forums have a "Preview post" option to preview your posts before hitting the submission post. I use mine all the time.

Mark

Collapse -
Got it. It's working now.
by henkieroosie / February 19, 2008 10:20 PM PST

Hi Mark

I've tried to play around with the width settings after reading you're comments about the widths in the table.

I've changed the table's width to 100% and it is working now.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Henk

Collapse -
(NT) Good, and well done.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 19, 2008 10:53 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?