Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

ie7, ie8 ... no matter what browser i use i still get popups

by Kirkey Devil / April 2, 2009 6:31 AM PDT

Hi,
i keep on getting these popups every time i use a browser! it's fairly clever as it displays a popup in relation to what i'm looking at. eg- on PC world and a popup will display about computers. if i'm typing 'staples' into google it's come up with a stationary site.
the popups aren't even normal though. they dont display any of the menu bars, including the one where you put the URL. before you say: check popup blocker; this is what i've done so far:
1) updated from ie7 to ie8
2) ran malicious tool finder thingy (from windows)
3) ran anti-virus software
4) checked popup on ie options > privacy. on medium and popup blocker is turned on
5) went to ie options > advanced > reset and reset ie 8

nothing is picked up and it's getting really annoying.

thanks
kirkey.devil

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ie7, ie8 ... no matter what browser i use i still get popups
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ie7, ie8 ... no matter what browser i use i still get popups
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only tried Internet Explorer?

For Internet Explorer, IE7Pro, which works on IE6/IE7/IE8, is a free application that adds enhanced features, among which is additional pop-up protection. However, it is always advisable that you switch to an alternative browser, such as Firefox. IE8 is a significant improvement, but it still lacks many of the basic features of, and the vast array of third-part add-ons of, Firefox and other third-party browsers.

John

Collapse -
ie7, ie8 ... no matter what browser i use i still get popups

That is a classic issue with IE, it hardly resolves any pop up blocking problem... Try scanning your cookies for tracking cookies and delete them, they usually spam and drop malware. Oh and don't go to sites that keep advertising...

Collapse -
Problem Fixed

didn't try firefox, and deleting cookies didn't do anything
ended up deleting account and making new one

Collapse -
IE7 - IE8
by jusalone / April 19, 2009 1:40 PM PDT

At the top you see Tools.. Click Tools, Then internet options. After that opens click the Privacy tab. You will see a box to click. For turn on Po pup blocker. Then click Apply then OK. Mine is not even clicked because I use Free Panicware pop up blocker. Be ware though with the pop up blocker times you need another page that open automatically, you will need to hold the Ctrl button down until you see the page open.

Collapse -
I am not sure what I have on my computer, but I getno popup
by sham1313 / April 15, 2009 1:49 PM PDT

I have 3 browser on my hp laptop one my husband use's is IE 7, I have been using opera and was having trouble learning some of what it does but I have been learning more about it. I download avant browser. no matter witch one I use I don't even get one pop up. if there are certain one down in the bottom of the screen some where it well ask if you want to see certain kinds you click no and that is it. if I figure out what I have that is stopping all pop ups I will let you know. I hope I figure it out. Sharon Sham1313

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.